For LEO use - Fenix TK11 or PD30?

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
I need some help from some people who know their flashlights as I do not!

The light is for Law Enforcement use and I have narrowed it down to either the Fenix TK11 or the Fenix PD30. Can somebody explain to me the differences in these lights.....

Fenix TK11

Fenix PD30

Thanks For the help!!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix Advice...

The light is for Law Enforcement use and I have narrowed it down to either the Fenix TK11 or the Fenix PD30. Can somebody explain to me the differences in these lights.....

Fenix TK11

Fenix PD30

Thanks For the help!!

Easily the TK11. Mostly because it has a forward (momentary) clickie. It is also more robust, and can run 18650 cells for free lumens.

Toaster

Enlightened

+ 1 to TK11. There are many happy reports in this forum of LEOs using a TK11 as their main duty light. Form factor, ruggedness, simple UI, momentary activation, and excellent throw being among the top reasons.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fenix TK11

Fenix PD30

Thanks For the help!!

PD30 (Only comes with Q5 LED):

6 Modes
Low (9 lumens) - Medium (70 lumens) - High (117 lumens) - SOS (117 lumens)
Turbo (225 lumens) - Strobe (225 lumens)

TK11 (Chose between Q5 and R2 LED - R2 is brighter and more efficient):

2 Modes
Low (60 lumens with Q5 - 64 lumens with R2)
High (225 lumens with Q5 - 240 lumens with R2)

Tk11 doesn't have a strobe.
TK11 can use an 18650 (rechargeable) battery or cr123.
TK11 has a longer throw.
TK11 is probably going to be tougher.
Tk11 has a forward clickie (hold for momentary and click for constant)

PD30 has a strobe and SOS (why? don't know).
PD30 can only use cr123 batteries.
PD30 has a little more spill (I own one and it's good to 50 - 75 yards)
PD30 isn't as tough, but tough.
PD30 has a reverse clickie (click for constant and hold for momentary off)

With the PD30 you click it on, press it without clicking to cycle through the modes. Low - Medium - High - SOS - Off. High - Strobe - Off. You hold it for 2 seconds and it starts over at the beginning.

Here are some pictures I have taken of the PD30. You're probably familiar with the Streamlight Stinger and a dip can so it will show you the size difference.

Compare.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

I don't own a TK11 so that's all I can say :(

I have some indoor beamshots of the PD30 (only PD30 beamshots I have ever seen) if you want to see them.

I'm a Reserve and use a PD30. I have managed to make a couple of officers buy one but I don't think they've ever heard of a TK11 (or Fenix) so who knows what they prefer. I plan on getting a TK11 but will carry my PD30 because of it's uses.

I'm going to buy a DBS to keep in the car but IMO the PD30 covers enough ground to not need anything that throws farther.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

The PD30 has a reverse clickie, click and let go for the light to turn on. It has momentary off when the light is on. IMO easier for multimode lights, tap to switch modes, but not good for what you are using the light for. It could work well as a backup from what I read. It uses RCR123s just fine.

The TK11 has more throw, output, and a forward clickie but is also larger. The TK10 has a smoother beam then the TK11 but at a bit less throw. The TK11 can use RCR123s and 18650s. The Tk10 can't use 18650s.

:welcome:

Edit: You can also get a tape switch for the TK series.

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

BUY BOTH.
Use the P3D/PD30 for backup or a P2D/PD20.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast

For LEO use you will want the TK11 for sure, mainly due to the fact that it has a forward clicky tailcap switch. The PD30 would make a nice back-up light though :poke:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
for someone using a light regularly (like law enforcement and such) arent there 2 important points:

1st: cost --> 18650 rechargeable over CR123 batts and
2nd: size --> that big awkward shape of TK11 and similar + having to keep them at ones person?
:thinking:

Search at the Jetbeam Jet III models.
They have everything TKs have + forward clicky + user selectable individual modes + are better to pocket
(but dont feature the head tight / head loose brightness option)

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Search at the Jetbeam Jet III models.
They have everything TKs have + forward clicky + user selectable individual modes + are better to pocket
(but dont feature the head tight / head loose brightness option)

The Jetbeam III M does, kind of. With the head tight it's on high, and loose is the programmable setting.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

For LEO use you will want the TK11 for sure, mainly due to the fact that it has a forward clicky tailcap switch. The PD30 would make a nice back-up light though :poke:

I see it exactly like Strauss, but I would also have a look on the PD20 in the backup case, fits better in a pocket and is very bright too!

Tacticals are called Tacticals because they originally have been built for military purposes and LEO isn't far away from that. They have a big success just because they are built like tanks and simple to operate, which is also great for other (outdoor) activities.

Mong

Newly Enlightened
for someone using a light regularly (like law enforcement and such) arent there 2 important points:

1st: cost --> 18650 rechargeable over CR123 batts and
2nd: size --> that big awkward shape of TK11 and similar + having to keep them at ones person?
:thinking:

If you use a light for an entire night shift, I could see a plus on the 18650 if you are a real light guy but 123 batteries are not very expensive if you buy in bulk and an equipment allowance would cover that if you have one. Some departments supply 123 batteries so that is a wash.

Size? Compared to everything else on the belt I would rate the size as a small issue.

I vote for the TK11 because of the forward switch and lack of multiple modes that could get in the way. Using the PD30 as a secondary light would work too.