flashlights psychology...

scuba

Enlightened
I don't understand.

I don't even know how I ended up checking up this site but I remember my first reaction when I started to read a bit. I just couldn't believe that there were grown ups so crazy about flashlights! I have to confess that I even made some judgememts about the fact and made fun of it with my brother. Then it made me think that I don't even have one at home so I got myself one of those little LED keychain, just in case. I thought that it was a weird and nice kind of lighting that was totally new to me, although not very powerful. A couple of weeks later I decided that maybe I should get something to leave in the car and I thought that maybe I should get some advice on that "weird" web site of yours. I ended up spending more time reading...and secretly enjoying it! I ended up ordering one of those Nuwai with 6 LEDs and one xenon bulb from Lifestyle Fascination wich I just received today. Being totally ignorant about flashlights I just can't believe how nice that light is and how different it is from all the $2 plastic ones I have always seen.

Now here is my question. What makes me want this beautiful sunny day to end up so I can try that light??? It is non-sense to me but I can't help it. What is it that makes me even think about maybe now getting surefires, and arcs and God knows what else is out there?
I mean I don't know about you guys but it is really rare that you actually need a flashlight in today's life unless your work requires it or you live out in the woods and I have been many years without even owning one. I'm still ending up loving them more and more and I'll probably make myself firmly believe that I MUST have a whole bunch more of them (convincing my wife of that is a different story...). I still would like to know what the rationnal explanation is. Are there any researches on the deep psychological mecanisms of flashlights addiction? Maybe something about cutting through the dark with a beam of light....

I'm afraid.....I'm being infected!!!

P.S. This is a great site anyway!
P.S. Sorry for the quality of my english...it is not my first language

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I can't explain it. I have well in excess of 50 lights now. The oldest a Homart metal flashlight the was my Grandpas, the youngest a little keychain LED light from Target!

Search for a thread on "Glad I had a light" or something like that. Some of those stories will explain why I never leave home without at LEAST one flashlight on my person.

Generally either an OPALEC or MADMAX equipped Minim*g, or an S&W 2AA Xenon (that kicks a stock Mini's ARSE!)... and either an ARC AAA or INFINITY ULTRA around my neck.

And keep a Streamlight STINGER HP in my truck, along with a 4D area light, a 2D Rayovac Industrial, and a Dorcy 2AA light with 3N cells and a 10 Candela green LED from FRYs, AND a Pelican 2AA Mity Lite just in case.

But I was into flashlights WELL before finding CPF. It's just that since being here I have acquired much better lights!

Hang on to your wallet dude, it will be a scary ride!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Here's my analytical take on the whole thing. (Heck, my guess is as good as anybody else's)

ORIGINS OF FLASHAHOLISM?

Whether it was early man's brandishing a crude "torch" in a sabre-toothed tiger's face, or a pioneer family reading by the yellow light of an oil lamp, our ability to "create light out of darkness" has enabled the development of modern civilization.

The basic need to "create light" was and is literally a lifesaver. "you can't fight an uneen enemy" and human-created light has enabled us to illuminate and vanquish our enemies both internal and external.

I believe that fear of the dark exists in our "genetic memory" and that the quest for light, regardless of how it is manifested, has its roots in that fear. Man was helpless in the dark, prey to many natural enemies. Bright light issuing from small, portable devices thus enables the projection of personal power, the neutralizing of helplessness and the overcoming of that genetically based fear. Flashaholics are the perhaps overly involved, but nevertheless glorious modern embodiment of that quest.

Brightnorm

scuba

Enlightened
Thanks everybody!

Glad to see that so many people have been wondering about that strange phenomenon!

StuU

Enlightened
I actually live out in "the woods". It gets really dark out here. In the summer, when foliage is up, I can see 30-40 miles over Shenandoah National Park & GW Nat Forest from my front porch...and not see a single light anywhere. When I shine flashlight down over my vineyard, yellow eyes reflect back at me.

So I have a great excuse for this addiction!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
StuU said:
I actually live out in "the woods". It gets really dark out here. In the summer, when foliage is up, I can see 30-40 miles over Shenandoah National Park & GW Nat Forest from my front porch...and not see a single light anywhere. When I shine flashlight down over my vineyard, yellow eyes reflect back at me.

So I have a great excuse for this addiction!

[/ QUOTE ]

Shendoah Natl Pk, GW Nat Forest, 30-40 mile view, vineyard, yellow eyes.....

You sir are a lucky man!

Brightnorm

Tomas

Banned
Heheheheh ... Well, I live in a city, but sometimes it gets astoundingly dark, here, too:

Re: Arc AAA saves my butt! (now about Arcs in the shower and cows, too)

(We also have some interesting discussions ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif )

tomsig03.gif

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
...It started with an old rubber torch with a dead bulb that i converted to LED operation, then discovering this site... Now I have about 40 torches! (mostly made or modded by myself!)

A torch is a humble companion which gives you security to go places you wouldn't normally go to, at times you wouldn't go at!
There's nothing as great as seeing a forest scene lit from within against a black sky, reflected in the water of a river or canal!

scuba

Enlightened
Thanks guys! I love those beautiful answers! And StuU you are an incredibly lucky man!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started out with minimags, but what caught my attention to CPF and made me start the whole craze was the rolling blackouts throughout California a few years ago. I had to go home and buy flashlights, especially LEDs for my parents because I was worried they'll use candles, and my little siblings are a bit immature around flames. I guess that's when I got serious about researching the different types of technology of flashlights to get a great long running light, and it just blossomed...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I think there's just a certain "power", a certain "comfort" in holding a flashlight in the middle of darkness. It's the old adage of "light at the end of a tunnel", and we're the holder of that power. We're always prepared for a blackout, and at night, we'd as soon turn on our flashlights than the light switch...

Maybe there's some sort of light philosophy that needs to be researched more...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with FalconFX. For me, making light is only a part of the flashlight experience. A good light -- particularly one with a long throw -- gives me a feeling of power, of mastery of my environment. Perhaps it's the same feeling that knights of old got from their swords.

scuba

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
Maybe there's some sort of light philosophy that needs to be researched more...

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree...

Catapult

Enlightened
The very bright light. The fascination. The self confidence gained from holding one very powerful light. Breaking total darkness with the twist or a press of the switch. The ability to show off. The feeling that most people don't have what I have.