Bright, small, "tactical" - but not too expensive?

Tony from Finland

Newly Enlightened
(Oh yeah, and preferably available in the E.U. area.)

That, in short, is what I'm looking for at the moment. For basic illumination needs, I use Photon Microlight II:s, but sometimes I would like to be able to "reach out and touch someone".
smile.gif
So I'm looking for Sure-Fire type flashlights - only preferably cheaper.
smile.gif
(I'd like to buy at least two, with a student budget that's quite a tall order if talking about Sure-Fires...) So my first question is: Are there any cheaper lights that still put out a "blinding" amount of light? And second, of course, is what are they?
smile.gif
(FYI, Finnrappel sells both the Sure-Fire 6P and E1 for 80?, so that'd be the base-line for comparison in my situation.)

Someone recommended the Inova X5 to me. Does it really approach a Sure-Fire 6P in light intensity? And can you get one from within Europe?

mikep

Enlightened
The inova X5 does not appraoch the brightness of a Surefire E2 (another 2-123 cell light). I think if you want the 'visual stunning of agressive threats' you need to have an incandescent light. Since you say 'tactical' I assume that a one-handed switch is important to you, so possibly the streamlight scorpion or brinkmann lx ($20 in the US). Another bright light with a switch option is the Princeton Tec Surge (found in the US around $25), which has been compared in brightness to a 3 cell surefire light, but uses AA batteries. The disadvantage of the surge is that it isn't really pocket sized.

Zephyr

Enlightened
I would highly recommend the Brinkmann Legend LX! I just purchased it a few days ago and took it with me on a trip and was amazed by the amount of light that it gave. It lit up my whole pathway in front of me. The best thing of it all is that it only cost me $19.97 for a very nice flashlight at Walmart. I think it is even slightly brighter than some of the Surefires.

ZEPH

Size15's

Flashaholic
My surge is is about between P60 and P90 in terms of output (yes I have tried fresh Duracell M3 AAs, and the bulb from the one that I'm forwarding to Jahn
wink.gif
, and I've compared it to all my P60s and P90s, and the P61s (P61 on fresh SF123As is clearly more intense). The Surge is a heavy flashlight. I guess I'm so used to SureFires and Lithium SF123As...
The Beam quality is not up to SureFire standards, but the Surge will be the brightest, most affordable flashlight many people will buy. It is heavy, but surprisingly compact. I don't like the lack of grip. I may have to invest in a few NiMH AAs to power it.

I would not call the LX tactical in the slightest. The Scorpion in more tactical but I found it lacking in a variety of areas.

Tony, I don't know your situation, but most students don't really need a "tactical" flashlight. So I suggest a Surge. And you'll be able to feed it AAs more often then you'd be able to feed a SF123A light.

Al

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it's not exactly tactical but have you thought of the Underwater Kinetics SL6

t18016_0800.jpg

Very bright, fairly small for a 6c light and waterproof

Flasher

Newly Enlightened
The LX would fit your need very well it is bright and cheap. It is also more tactical than a surge. I think that is the only light AL has that is not a surefire!

Karpaasi

Newly Enlightened
Another one from Finland, welcome! You might want to consider ASP tac-lite. I have one and I really like it. I saw from your profile that you are part-time security guard so maybe you should get rechargeable.

Tony from Finland

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the info!

Hmm... That Surge sounds kinda interesting - especially since they actually sell them at Toolshop. (For a conciderably higher price than the 25$, though... )However, it does seem a bit large. Also, does it have a similar switch as Sure-Fires et al? I kinda understood from Size15s's post that it would not have one?

No thanks on the Underwater Kinetics lights. Had three, they didn't survive me. Plus the on/off-switch in those sucks muchos compared to a "tactical" momentary button/separate "permanent on". (Ok, the separate permanent-on is not an absolute requirement, as long as it is still possible to control whether the light is on momentarily or permanently. To give an example, I think the Scorpion switch fulfills said requirement. A Mag-Lite switch does not. Too easy to accidentally push the switch all the way.)

Now the ASP light might be worth looking at. However, don't know how much below 80? (euros - seems this forum doesn't support the euro symbol either?) I'd be able to find them. As for being rechargeable, that isn't a requirement. (Not that I'd have anything against reducing battery costs, if rechargeability would not increase cost or cause any additional hassle...
wink.gif
) Most of the time I work in adequately lit locations, I don't need a flashlight all that much at work. (When I do, it usually needs to be a bright one, though. And small, since otherwise I'd get tired of lugging it around, and therefore not have it on me.)

The Brinkmann looked promising! Unfortunately, the web page I dug up that had more info on it claimed they were sold only in Wal-Marts. We do not have any of those in this country. Nor on this continent (well, AFAIK anyway
smile.gif
).

More suggestions, anyone?
smile.gif
(But please, stick with the parameters. I really don't care what most students need or want. I'm one of those nut-cases that'd carry their Walther on them wherever they'd go if only our stupid government would give their citizen the right to live (ie. defend themselves with the best possible tools). In other words, whatever I'm shopping, it's possible defensive use is always one factor. With flashlights, it's a pretty important factor!)

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Surge switch is a thumb switch similar to those used on many divelights (such as Pelicans)
There are two little bumps on each extent of the switch's travel that helpthe switch stay either on or off. The beam can be unfocused by rotating the bezel, and a useful feature is that the battery cartridge can be inserted the other way around so that the light can not be activated for transporting it.

Does anyone have a side-by-side photo of the Surge and the UKE-6C?

Al

D

**DONOTDELETE**

There's an ASP for sale in the B/S/T forum. $60 shipped. I'm not personally familiar with them, but have heard good things. I'm a student, just got my E2e-HA, and could not be more impressed.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad the Brinkman LX isn't available.

I just bought mine today. It seems to be a great light! Quality construction, compact, smooth, even, bright light!