novatac polycarb lens

cruisemissile

Enlightened
i just ordered my 120 from lapolicegear (the "E" is 85.99 with free shipping if you're naughty and use the "surefire" coupon code, but sshhh don't tell anyone). i can save myself the extra $ by 'reprogramming' it for free to "P" functionality, but I digress.
i like alot about the light and so do alot of others. its still 'en route' and I haven't touched it yet.
however, I am not crazy about the idea of getting a polycarbonate lens on this light. c'mon, give us sexy glass lenses like almost everyone else!
however, if I were making tactical lights, I most likely would not use glass to make it more tough and resilient to bangin around. or at least use pyrex.

has anyone had problems or concerns with their novatac polycarbonate lens.?
want to hear thoughts. (I used "search" function, and even though there's a few threads on novatacs, i didn't find any specific ones about the lens)

litetube

Enlightened
The Poly lens is ok overall. It isnt gonna crack like glass might but I have read of some who experienced overtime fine scratches and such on the Poly lens. Didnt seem to affect the beam or reduce output to the naked eye. I switched out the Poly for glass from Flashlightlens. I just dont like plastic but I saved the POly lens . If I find any issues with the glass I will go back to the poly maybe. You are gonna really like the 120E. Look into a custom bezel from RPM also . relatively inexpensive way to mod it.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light transmission is only about 7lm less with the Poly when compared to the UCL lens.

litetube

Enlightened
Yep That is true.

Also, if you decide to keep the Poly lens in , when you clean it off dont use your shirt or something like that. I use a microfiber cloth and just lightly wipe it off . If there is something on the lens , that foreign matter can also scratch it during the cleaning process.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
The Poly lens is ok overall. It isnt gonna crack like glass might but I have read of some who experienced overtime fine scratches and such on the Poly lens. Didnt seem to affect the beam or reduce output to the naked eye. I switched out the Poly for glass from Flashlightlens. I just dont like plastic but I saved the POly lens . If I find any issues with the glass I will go back to the poly maybe. You are gonna really like the 120E. Look into a custom bezel from RPM also . relatively inexpensive way to mod it.

thanks, I'll check out getting a glass lens for it.
any idea what size you got to fit?

litetube

Enlightened
UHM , I believe 22.8 MM should work but I dont know if you have to indicate thickness or not. I dont think you do . I think any window with Aleph/PD/HDS dimensions will work? Some SF ones too? but dont hold me to that. There is a glass at Lighthound available for the NT and/or Flashlightlens.com

paintballdad

Enlightened
I ordered some from flashlightlens.com and according to their site the size would be 22.61mm x 1.85mm. I ended up putting one on my 85T and fits just fine. Not sure if the stock polycarb lens is AR coated but the UCL glass from flashlightlens.com is and reasonable at $4.25 each.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
as far as UCL vs borofloat, nevermind I got an explanation from flashlight lens.com
http://www.flashlightlens.com/str/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=display&ref=about_glass

UCL is much clearer and has about 5% extra light transmission, while borofloat has much higher heat resistance.
Light transmittance: 98% to 99%
Substrate: Low iron, water-white float glass
Coatings: Multi-layer broadband AR - 2-sides
Thermal durability: Good - typical of most glass

Borofloat
Light transmittance: 94%
Substrate: Microfloat borosilicate
Coatings: None
Thermal durability: Outstanding

i just ordered the UCL from flashlightlens, 4.25 is reasonable with shipping came to be 5.80 total. I didn't even have to dig in my wallet for my credit card because they took paypal. wham bam!

paintballdad

Enlightened
Borofloat is similar to Pyrex, the glass that Surefire uses in most of their lights. Unfortunately, flashlightlens.com does not offer the size to fit the Novatacs in Borofloat.

litetube

Enlightened
I dont see the advantage to borofloat. It can take heat better but these lights dont generate that much heat relatively. I dont think the heat generated by a 1 cell led light is gonna be enought o fatigue glass. UCL seems fine . havnt had one crack yet either (knock on wood)

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's more for high power incan lights.

Novatac's PC lens is AR coated, and from what I hear optic grade PC isn't cheaper than glass.

litetube

Enlightened
yeah, the Ploy lens seems very high quality and I cant tell a difference in output. I just dont like how easily they scratch. I am hanging on to it though and if the UCL breaks I will go back to it and just try and be careful

KIRWILLE

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 novatacs, both poly lenses rattle if you turn the light upside down and tap on the lens lightly. I bought the ucl lens from lighthound and it doesn't rattle at all. I'm not sure why, they both look like the same thickness.

cfromc

Enlightened
The UCL from Lighthound is not exactly the same thickness as the original poly window. My experience is the opposite, the UCL was slightly thinner.

My poly window did not look that sratched up after about a year of use but when I removed it and held it up to light I noticed several areas of "spots" where it was not clear. The window is relatively thick and I'm not that worried about the UCL breaking with normal use. The light does seem brighter with a brand new UCL versus a used Poly, but that could just be in my head.

litetube

Enlightened
Yeah the Lighthound one does look thinner unless that is a stock photo they reuse for multiple lens they sell?

Kirwille are you sure the oring is in there under the lens?

They are very thick pieces on the Poly and UCL from Flashlightlens and I think it would take quite an impact to crack the UCL glass.

paintballdad

Enlightened
The UCL glass i picked up from flashlightlens.com seem to be the same thickness as the stock polycarb lens. I installed mine without any rattle from a loose lens.
As far as Borofloat vs UCL, i think that borosilicate glass is more shock resistant as well as having higher thermal durability over UCL glass. And correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that is the reason Surefire uses Pyrex glass even in their combat lights.

I don't think i'll be abusing my Novatac or any light i know for that matter, i just prefer glass lenses. And it seems much clearer than the polycarb lens.