Brightest SMO spot for single 18650???

ALowe

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Currently on the market, what would you say has the brightest spot with an SMO reflector using a single 1850/2XCR123 at 30 - 50 meters?

I am looking at:

Olight M20
Fenix TK11
Regal WT1
EagleTac T10LC2

I currently have a Jetbeam III M w/ standard tint using the OP reflector (SMO on the way) but looking for a little more throw/brightness.

Any others out of this list that are brighter? Tint is not really a care of mine, but do prefer the bright whight (HID) style rather than the incad tint.

Respect to all,

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Olight M20/Regal WT1
2. Jet-III SMO
3. Fenix TK11
4. Jet-III OP
5. Eagle-Tac T10LC2

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletac does not have a smooth reflector, and is not made for dedicated throwing. It is bright, but not a "thrower".

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Get a Deerelight drop-in an a 18650 host body.

Cheap, very very throwy, reliable.

+1

The M20 is the brightest of the bunch that you picked out, but on an 18650, it won't be at its brightest for long since it's semi-regulated on an 18650. 2xCR123 or 2xRCR123 would be your best bet for it. On an 18650 however, it will have VERY long run times.

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
When it comes to a "thrower," you cannot go by the lumen output.

Why?

Just because it's bright as heck, doesn't nesessarily mean it is set-up as a dedicated thrower.

From personal experience (not impersonal internet reviews, or other peoples opinions), the best thrower for the money ($60.00, shipped to your door), is the Fenix TK11 with the cold blue light.

Absolutely, hand's down, the best 18650 thrower I have.

It only has two modes (HIGH & LOW) but it spotlights like the "Bat-Light in Gotham City". Almost 3-hours on turbo mode (225 lumens), and nearly 12-hours on low mode. (Low mode is approximately 65 lumens).

The next runner-up is the Dereelight CL1H V4. (I have the 1S WC R2 pill). This pill gives me the cooler blue light, with only one mode (HIGH) all the time. It comes with two reflectors. (OP and SMO). And with the SMO reflector, it gives the Fenix TK11 a run for the money.

And although the Dereelight CL1H V4 is better built, with a cleaner light...it still took second place to the Fenix TK11 as a thrower. (But not by much).

Go out in a cooler, damp night (with microscopic water molecules saturating the air) and you will really see the light beams at their best.

I also own the Olight M20 Warrior. But the M20 Warrior does not compare to the Fenix TK11, or the Olight CL1H V4, as a thrower. (But in all fairness, the M20 Warrior comes with an OP reflector) See my "PSS" note below.

b180275516.jpg

Just my opinion.

In Christ: Raymond

PS: Look around and see my other reviews...err...I mean, my personal opinions.
PSS: I just ordered a SMO reflector for my M20 Warrior. I will post the results when it comes in.

Last edited:

ALowe

Newly Enlightened
When it comes to a "thrower," you cannot go by the lumen output.

Why?

Just because it's bright as heck, doesn't nesessarily mean it is set-up as a dedicated thrower.

From personal experience (not impersonal internet reviews, or other peoples opinions), the best thrower for the money ($60.00, shipped to your door), is the Fenix TK11 with the cold blue light.

It only has two modes (HIGH & LOW) but it spotlights like the "Bat-Light in Gotham City". Almost 3-hours on turbo mode (225 lumens), and nearly 12-hours on low mode. (Low mode is approximately 65 lumens).

The next runner-up is the Dereelight CL1H V4. (I have the 1S WC R2 pill). This pill gives me the cooler blue light, with only one mode (HIGH) all the time. It comes with two reflectors. (OP and SMO). And with the SMO reflector, it gives the Fenix TK11 a run for the money.

And although the Dereelight CL1H V4 is better built, with a cleaner light...it still took second place to the Fenix TK11 as a thrower. (But not by much).

Go out in a cooler, damp night (with microscopic water molecules saturating the air) and you will really see the light beams at their best.

I also own the Olight M20 Warrior. But the M20 Warrior does not compare to the Fenix TK11, or the Olight CL1H V4, as a thrower. (But in all fairness, the M20 Warrior comes with an OP reflector) See my "PSS" note below.

Just my opinion.

PS: Look around and see my other reviews...err...I mean, my personal opinions.
PSS: I just ordered a SMO reflector for my M20 Warrior. I will post the results when it comes in.

Appreciate the words all and to you especially Raymond.

Andrew

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

You must be referring to the Q5 TK11. The R2 version comes in at 240 lumens.

BTW, Nice little collection you have there Raymond!

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys.

I know I hate it when folks "regurgitate" information they have heard, and don't speak from personal experience. So I tried being honest with what I personally have on hand.

And RyanRPM..."Yes"...I do have the Q5 bin. I have an affinity towards cold, crispy lights - and NOT the warmer yellowish lights. (Just my personal preference, folks. So please don't try to win me over with different views/opinions).

Of all my lights, my absolute favourite is the Derelight CL1H V4.

The CL1H V4 fits the best in my hands, has an absoutely clean light, and the stiffer tailcap button is growing on me. (The Fenix TK11 button is starting to get kinda soft and floppy from the constant use).

But the one I grab on a daily basis, the one I carry with me to work, the one that is ugly as heck, the one that is a glutton for punishment, the one that gets beaten and scratched on a daily basis (and has a nice Japanese wrap with 550 paracord)...is the Fenix TK11.

That puppy (for the price) is a workhorse. Like I mentioned above, it is ugly as heck. I don't mind beating it and tearing it up. And like a Timex watch...it just keeps on ticking, and ticking, and ticki...

If you're like me, and purchase items to USE THEM...then get the Fenix TK11. Its ugly, but it'll out throw almost anything out there for the price - and it runs on a single 18650 battery.

But if you want a cleaner light, as well as a really nice host body, then ABSOLUTELY go with the Dereelight CL1H V4.

The latter two lights are my favourite of the four I own. I also have two poly stingers, and a 4D Maglite with a Terralux 300M drop-in which I don't really use any more. (I will be selling the latter as soon as I get off my lazy duff to take a few pictures and post it).

If you have a few extra shekels, go with the Derelight. You will not regret it. But if you need to penny pinch for the moment, then go with the Fenix TK11. (Q5 bin).

Personally, the four lights I have meet all my needs - and surpass them. I am in want for no others.

I'm sure there are many other good lights out there. But to meet your "18650/THROWER" criteria, I think these two are your best options. Super high lumens, long run times, accept 18650's, and are dedicated throwers.

Just my personal thoughts.

Nuff said.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a few extra shekels, go with the Derelight. You will not regret it. But if you need to penny pinch for the moment, then go with the Fenix TK11. (Q5 bin)

Shouldn't he be interested in the R2. It is brighter and more efficient. It also still has the cool tint you like.

As a side note, you're the first CPFer I've met who also likes the cool tints.

ALowe

Newly Enlightened
Shouldn't he be interested in the R2. It is brighter and more efficient. It also still has the cool tint you like.

As a side note, you're the first CPFer I've met who also likes the cool tints.

I have been searching on the differences from the Q5 to R2 bin. Is it really worth the $$ to go for the R2 over the Q5? I looked at a few shots showing difference with the same light and really see no difference. I did notice that the spill is a bit more with the R2, unless that was just lighting?

Toaster

Enlightened
You have a link to these photos? I've yet to see anyone compare the Q5 and R2 TK11s side by side. :popcorn:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been searching on the differences from the Q5 to R2 bin. Is it really worth the $$ to go for the R2 over the Q5? I looked at a few shots showing difference with the same light and really see no difference. I did notice that the spill is a bit more with the R2, unless that was just lighting?

You have a link to these photos? I've yet to see anyone compare the Q5 and R2 TK11s side by side. :popcorn:

From experience in general.. the R2 and Q5 are almost identical in tint and the R2 is more efficient and powerful.

TK11:

Q5 = 225 lumens
R2 = 240 lumens

Runtime on 18650 battery is still 2.7 hours. 15 extra lumens for no drop in runtime.

It's only 5 dollars more.

I'm not a big fan of the fact it isn't 100% regulated (Q5 or R2) but there's at least 3 LONG discussions on that so I won't bring that in, just so you can go search for "TK11 R2" if you're interested. It covers Q5 and R2 in the first few results.

I don't think there are any comparison beamshots of the R2 and Q5 TK11 on here. I haven't even found TK11 R2 beamshots, just the Q5.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Looking for something to carry on my person :crackup:

If I was a VERY large man, that would be on my hip :crazy:

If your want something with lots of throw, the Dereelight DBS is only a little bit larger than the other lights and has way more throw:
DSC_3208.jpg

electric sheep

Enlightened
I have the Dereelight with WH R2's in SD and SM pill format and have SMO and OP reflectors plus the MC-E on it's way. Running on 18650's i get very impressive throw but the Multi power pill is brighter for some reason. I also have extension tube for extra run time if i need it. I like the yellow tint of the WH but it's the colours of the outdoor foliage and wildlife under it's illumination i love. The white tint washes the colour right out of the scene.

jblackwood

Enlightened

I now speak from experience, lest Ramond jumps out from behind a bush and :twak:'s me. I only experimented with Dereelight Q5 and R2 pills. With a smooth reflector, there was a huge difference in throw. I had only one DBS body at the time so I couldn't do a side by side. But I did spend some time outside sitting in a chair at night switching the pills. The R2 did light things up that the Q5 didn't touch. Maybe my Q5 was defective, maybe my R2 was supercharged, who knows? But I was pleased. Looking at the size of the Tiablo A10's reflector, I'm not surprised it out-throws my DBS, I'd be surprised if it didn't. You won't catch me EDCing it, even if I do relent and pick one up!
lovecpf

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also want to look at the Tiablo MA6. It's about midway between the lights you're looking at and the dedicated throwers in terms of both throw and size. I think it's much more carryable mostly because it is slimmer than throwers.

Latest posts