Best price for PT Surge?

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is the best place to buy the PT Surge? And how does the Surge compare to the Tec 40 for size and brightness? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
TTS's price is very good and they're a CPF sponsor ( http://www.texastacticalsupply.com ). There's another place that has it for a buck or two less, Ski Warehouse or something like that, difference is too small to worry about.

Surge is about 2x bigger/heavier than PT40 and much brighter. PT40 also has the advantage of using a normal PR base bulb, whlie Surge uses a special lamp assembly. PT40 is a good general purpose light, Surge is for when you want something super duper bright.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe that the Surge uses "a special lamp assembly". Mine is a bi-pin bulb.

It is MUCH brighter than anything short of an Ultrastinger, though without the very tight beam. A remarkable light for the price. I really like that 8 AA battery assembly.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
The Tec-40 is about Mag 3 Cell brightness, or not as bright as a 2 123 Surefire, the Surge is Mag 6 Cell brightness, or not as bright as a 3 123 Surefire with HOLA.

The Surge is about a 2 C Cell size flashlight. Its a must have IMHO for ~$25. I also have bought mine from TTS. I have one in each of the vehicles for emergency situations.

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, NiMH work well in the Surge. They're a little dimmer than brand new alkalines, but stay steady through the run.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
True about the NIMH. I got over two and a half hours of steady light in a runtime test but not as bright as new alkalines. Also I put lithiums in, just four instead of eight as I thought the bulb could handle it that way and it blew immediately upon power up.

paulr

Flashaholic
Where do you get the bulbs from? Brightguy has them but they're expensive there. (The Rage turns out to be the one that uses a LA).

shrap

Enlightened
I like mine... I only have 4 NiMH batteries in it. No trouble with charging 8 batteries, reasonably bright, but a very short runtime.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PT halogen-xenon lamp draws 1.25 Amps from the battery set. Two series of 4 x 1850 mAh NiMH in parallel gives 3.7 Ah capacity. So, the maximum time the lamp will stay on, teorethically, is 3 hours. If you consider the derating curve of NiMH, the PT will stay on a bit longer than two hours.
Anthony

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:
Where is the best place to buy the PT Surge? And how does the Surge compare to the Tec 40 for size and brightness? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the midst of posting a Surge deal in the B/S/T forum. It should be posted within the next 15-minutes or so.

Latest posts