What do you get if you cross a Zebra with a Zipka and an e+Lite?

CliveBurt

Newly Enlightened
Just thought I'd show you how I strap my Zebra to my head!

I use the headband from a Petzl e+Lite and a Velcro strap. The H50 isn't as supported as it is on Zebra's headband GITD fitting but I find it doesn't really make much difference because the flood is so wide that I don't notice the light moving the small amount that it does when I'm walking. The H50 and headband all fit nicely into the plastic e+Lite storage case (Red case shown in photo). However, I prefer to use the soft case that came with my Etymotic Headphones (Black case in photo). I also carry in the Etymotic case a small Spyderco knife, USB flash drive and a spare Lithium AAA for my Fenix E01 that hangs round my neck. The e+Lite headbands are available on their own for less than £2.

Sorry about the crap photography!

DSC_1608800x600.jpg

DSC_1606800x600.jpg

Before I started EDCing my Zebra I carried a Petzl Zipka and then a Zipka Plus.
I read about the e+Lite and thought that it would be fantatic if it came with the Zipka headband/Cord retractor instead of it's more traditional headband. After I got my e+Lite I cut the side plastic of the Zipka backplate so that I can now easily remove and replace the cord and retractor. I added a spare Zipka foam pad to the back of the e+Lite red backplate to finish off my Zip-e!

DSC_1597800x.jpg

If anyone uses none standard methods to lash your Zebra's to your scraunch melons I'd love to hear about it, so please share.

Shorty66

Enlightened
I already posted this in the dedicated H60 thread but i thought it wouldnt hurt if its here a wsecond time:

New Zipka Headband with plasticclip holder:

zipkastyle3cs8.jpg

zipkastyle2uk5.jpg

zipkastyle1qk3.jpg

New Pocketclip:

10040434ft0.jpg

Shortened headband with built in magnets, wiremod to reduce bouncing and integrated pocketclip:

p1020357vp5.jpg

yours seems pretty cool too. Perhaps i will use that method whith the h51 if it finally comes out.

Last edited:

CliveBurt

Newly Enlightened
You have been busy!

So was it Petzl that sent you the retractor or one of their distributors?

How is the black "u" shaped clip held on to the Zipka?

CliveBurt

Newly Enlightened
You inspired me to have another go at a "Zippy Zebra" and so this is what I came up with. It's very stable.

DSC_1610800x600.jpg

DSC_1612800x600.jpg

DSC_1613800x600.jpg

In order to get the Zebra to sit horizontally I had to cut the GITD loops that hold the Zebra in order to get the Zipka cord over the Mount, so the Velcro strap holds the Zebra on to the Mount with the Zipka cord trapped between the Zebra and the Mount. The mount does a good job of distributing the compression that the Zipka Retractor is producing onto the forehead and holds the Zebra stable. I first tried it with just the Zebra Velcroed onto the bare Zipka Cord and it was not too bad.

CliveBurt

Newly Enlightened
Just tried a Nitecore D10 in place of the Zebra H50, and turned it all to the side of my head so the D10 points forward...back to the drawing board!:eek:
However I have a headband and mount from a Zebra H30 and that works perfectly with the D10.:thumbsup:

Now, if I can just get my 6 D Cell Maglite velcroed onto my Zipka cord......

Shorty66

Enlightened
I opened the case of the zipka headband and used screws to scre the plastic clip to the body. Then i filed the overstanding screws down to be able to use the clip on the H60.

Petzl sent the Headband to me for free after i emailed them .

CliveBurt

Newly Enlightened
So when you opened the Zipka Retractor you didn't have springs flying all over the place then?!?:ohgeez:

That was good of Petzl to do that. The UK distributor can't even get the Zipka backplate with the retractor as a spare part in order to fix Zipkas that have lost their Zip! I only know this because I sent them my 2 year old Zipka Plus with this problem just a couple of weeks ago...they had to send me a brand new Zipka Plus!