New LD20 Tail Cap Stuck

sybaris

Newly Enlightened
I have my new LD20 but I just cant open the tail cap.
I dont want to damage it with DIY tools, and I an not a weedy muscleless wimp. Has anyone got any tricks or should I not worry and just open the top of the light to replace batteries?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should come off easily... I guess it has just been screwed too tight, but that is a guess. You checked whether it doesn't have a dent, which could block it, did you? Have a look on the inside from the top as well!

As I never experienced that, I won't tell you to use brutal force though. The choice is up to you, if you want to try or not. You can also give the light back and ask for a new one. If you kill yours, this won't be possible anymore. Meanwhile change the cells from the top...

Trekmeister

Newly Enlightened
Had the same problem on an L2T I bought a couple of months ago. I wrapped the tailcap in many layers of gaffer tape, like 10-15mm thick. Same thing with the body. Since I could still not remove it by hand I used a couple of wrenches on it and the cap came loose after a little bit of work. Not a single scratch on the body or tailcap. (Used the same method to open up an L2D head when I swapped to a neutral white emitter).

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give the above suggestion a go. If that fails then you could replace the batteries by removing the head.

Have you removed tha tailcap before?

It's likely the silver colored aluminum tailcap holder thingy came slightly unscrewed where it is firmly pressed against the body of the flashlight. It shouldn't cause and hard to use brute froce as long as you are smart about it, but I make no guarantees.

Once you do get it off, make sure the tailcap holder thingy gets screwed back down in place before you put the light back together.