Dr.Frankenstein's...light?

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Dr.Frankenstein,I've created a monster..only it's a light. I swapped the LED head from my UK SL4 eLED onto my UK SL6,as the incan head was a little dim (due to low batteries,I think..). It seems startlingly bright.My overdriving the SL4's head by pumping 9 volts(6 1.5V C batteries) through it (vs 6 volts :4 1.5V C batteries stock)..will it blow up the LED head?

Quite pleased with my little monster...

(Maybe this should be moved to Homemade and Modified Lights..I'm not sure..)

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
UK is a USA company I think a simple phone call to them could clear any questions. Either that or just keep using it (ill-advised).

Does it get hot / warm at all? Do you notice the LED dimming after a few minutes? If yes then its probably not a good idea.

You could take it apart and measure the Voltage + current going to the LED, but there is some risk of destroying it if you do that.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light stays fairly cool,and I don't notice any dimming.Hopefully I haven't damaged anything.
I'll probably swap the heads back once I get some more C batteries for my SL4.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
You should also be aware that alkaline cells have high internal resistance so they are "self regulating" in terms of current delivered. NiMH cells on the other hand have lower internal resistance and are capable of delivering higher current to the circuit.

I would think the risk of damaging the light is higher with freshly charged NiMH cells.