Surefire M3-Osram Mod

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't really plan on doing this but it's been a while since I did anything "different"
I had an Osram that I've been wanting to use for something and had a few different ideas.
I have a box of hosts and a few KL2's and an M3 heads caught my eye.
Because of the extra length of the M3 I choose it over the KL2 for added heatsink mass it would allow.
I used the screw in contact base of the KL2 and installed a Shark running full tilt to the Osram.
I was able to score one of the Osram reflectors also and it works nicely. It has an huge bright hotspot and excellent spill.
I think the KL6 out-throws the osram which can be expected due to the reflector differences.
Both are very bright, but I think the Osram just slightly beats it in overall brightness.
Note the brighter spill of the Osram in the pictures.

The pictures show the M3-Osram compared to the KL6 modded with and MC-E/stock driver

-M3 Bezel Host
-Osram 1000 Lumen Emitter
-Osram Reflector
-Shark Driver
-Custom Heatsink

002-31.jpg

M3-Osram

004-24.jpg

KL6-MC-E

003-31.jpg

M3-Osram

006-21.jpg

KL6-MC-E

005-28.jpg

With RPM Ti Bezel Ring

008-22.jpg

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using one of AW's soft start switches, to allow 3 levels..:naughty:

Cool application Tim. I didn't know it could be used for LEDs. Or is it because the Ostar is high Vf LED?

So the switch is acting like a 3-stage McE2S? Are the levels spaced out pretty well?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool application Tim. I didn't know it could be used for LEDs. Or is it because the Ostar is high Vf LED?

So the switch is acting like a 3-stage McE2S? Are the levels spaced out pretty well?

I works with some LED's and not with others.

I am assuming the high VF comes into play here.
It seems to work well with most multi-emitter set-ups.
My Tri-P7 KT4 works well with it as it only has one level.
I tried it last night with the MZXR-7 and it would cycle through the levels but the SOS function of the remora would always be on, thus different brightness SOS modes..:laughing:

The levels are spaced out pretty well. I do prefer a very LOW low, but am just happy it works for the Osram.

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like this one!!!!!!!
OSTAR's Rule!!
Nice Work Tim!!

JohnTz

Enlightened
DeFab, how well does the KL6 stock driver work with the MCE? I am interested in getting the same configuration running on 3x18650? was there anything else you had to do to the stock driver? Is it two levels?

Thanks,
John

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,

I would not recommend you using 3 li-ions on a KL6 converter. From a recent discussion with CM, the upper voltage range is 9.8volts.

Cheers!