Following the auction...

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't post on the actual thread itself but wow, it's already up to $355! Are you guys surprised or is that what you expected? To me that's an Arc LSP low plus a Arc LSP high both at full ARC retail.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised. But it does help CPF, and is a cool flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'd have to be crazy to spend that much on one flashlight, but most of us here aren't any more sane. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
...and I was going to bid $50.00! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Tomas

Banned
It's passed $400 now, which is an insane amount, but strange as it seems I can understand it.

Did I expect it? Well, I expected about a $200 start (not far off: $150) and it just felt like it would go up from there very quickly.

This is one sweet light, and being able to have one of the first hand made examples of such a fine off-the-cuff design is worth it to a collector. Add to that the fact the money goes to, uh, support one's habit (CPF) I'm not at all surprised.

Enjoyable to watch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

tomsig02.gif

snuffy

Enlightened
I just came in from taking some eclipse pics and this is now way outta my range.
I'll just set back and enjoy the fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only wish I could afford that light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that it is an incredible light, but 400 (plus, I am sure) dollars?

No way!

Now I would have purchased several raffle tickets if they were offered. I think that CPF would have generated more revenue this way.

Greta

Flashaholic
Bruce... we actually considered a raffle but the logistics of it would have been a nightmare. There is no way that David and/or I could have done it. And involving more people than that just wouldn't have been logical. No, this really is the best way. And remember also that no matter what we'd have chosen to do and how, someone would have been unhappy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm pretty amazed by the auction. I figured I could afford about $100 but that it would probably go for more like $200. It's over $400 now and still has a day to go! Wow!

The raffle idea was a limit of one ticket per person. Everyone would send in their $5 and then there'd be a drawing. It doesn't sound that complicated, but that's easy for me to say since I'm not the one who would have to do the work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Anyway I'm sure whoever wins the auction is going to be a very happy camper. Me, I'm willing to wait a few months til DSpeck makes some more of the lights.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, it's simple when you think of it as the person buying one ticket. But my thinking on a raffle is how am I going to collect money from all these members and assign a number to them? There will always be those who send in a check. Or even cash. Which gets stolen in the mail. Now there's someone who thinks they have an entry but they don't. What if the check of the winner bounces? And how am I going to draw the number? Just pick one? Sure. Instead of a few upset members now I have a bazziollion flashaholics questioning the process. Definitely not something I look forward to.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think all those problems are solveable.

Payment through the mail happens on B/S/T all the time, and there's hardly ever problems, especially for piddly amounts like $5.

I'd announce the drawing a month or so in advance, and tell people to send their payment if they want a ticket. Deposit all checks as they come in, and assign a ticket number and post it on a CPF thread along with the person's name. If any checks bounce then revoke that ticket. Or just don't take checks--limit it to Paypal, MO, or cash, with lost cash being 100% the sender's responsibility. The CPF thread lets people know their payment has been received--if their name doesn't show up a week or so before the drawing, they know they better do something.

The winning number can be figured out from some formula announced in advance, based on data that can't be predicted in advance but that get plugged into the formula later. For example if it were this week, the data could come from the box scores of the NBA playoffs, which won't be known til the playoffs are over (of course you'd want to stop accepting entries before the playoffs even start). There's reliable ways of doing this kind of thing which I won't bore you with here, but I could help with if the need arises sometime.

Finally I'd like to think most people won't get upset if something does go wrong with their entry, unless whatever happened was directed specifically at them instead of being random. I figure my chances of winning are low to begin with (since lots of other people have tickets). So if my envelope is the one that gets lost in the mail, the outcome is the same as what I expected anyway, that somebody else wins the raffle. It's not seriously upsetting.

Anyway, I'm having fun watching the auction and am not upset that it's happening (since if there was a raffle I'm by definition unlikely to have won). I'm just saying that if you do want to try a raffle some other time, it may be workable.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hmmm, I've spent more than that for a grand night out on the town with my wife and another couple...but oops, I just did (and I'm not even counting the recent trip to Vegas). Guess I'm outta this one.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the auction is a simple and good idea. Obviously if someone is willing to pay the money then it's worth it to them and it is a cause that benefits us all. I guess it's the equivalent to a non-flashaholic in their disbelief when we say we spent a hundred dollars or thereabouts for a little LED light.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... A little up there for my blood. A small light, or a superlight; the choice is clear...

...I think...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
Bruce... we actually considered a raffle but the logistics of it would have been a nightmare. There is no way that David and/or I could have done it. And involving more people than that just wouldn't have been logical. No, this really is the best way. And remember also that no matter what we'd have chosen to do and how, someone would have been unhappy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sasha,

I was in a hurry when I wrote my comment, I already knew that the raffle idea was discussed and rejected, and that I respected yall's decision.

I am just saying that I would have been able to financially and emotionally particapate in a raffle, whereas there is no way I am going to try to be high bidder on this light.

I also think that it could have generated a LOT more revenue for CPF.

BUT, I don't want you and David to experience any unnecessary frustration either! I mean, I love this place, and yall are the reason for it staying in operation!

So, my comment was not meant to be a "dig" or anything like that, just a suggestion for future events like this, it it is possible to do.

There was a comedian who has this very funny bit about the difference between "sayin'" and "just sayin'".

Done kind of in a New York Accent (It might have been Paul Riser)

HEY, Are you sayin' I look FAT??

No no no, I'm Not SAYAING your fat, I'm JUST SAYING that you look a little big!

So your not SAYING I look fat, right, your JUST SAYING that I look fat, right?

Yea yea yea,I would never tell you that you were fat, I'm JUST SAYIN'n that you look fat!

OK, cause if you were SAYING that I looked fat, I'd have to wack ya.

BTY, weighed 256 today.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imagine loosing your keys with this light on it!

HEY, WE GOTTA FIND MY KEYS, MY LIGHT IS ON IT! IT COST ME over a THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR THAT LIGHT! "Well what about your car, are you worried that someone might steal your car?" Forget the car, I am worried about my LIGHT! I HAVE Insurance on my CAR!

Unless that light fits on a keychain, has a 2,000,000 CP beam, and can run for 3 hours, and is rechargable, even us flashoholics might think, "I would never pay that much for a light!"

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am afraid to even look at the auction thread, afraid that I might hit the wrong button and become the high bidder!