battery tester/charger?

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a good battery tester/charger that can charge different numbers NiMH of cells (1,2,3 or 4, not just 2 or 4)? Preferably a fairly inexpensive one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an answer...

But what kind of batteries are you going to be using with the charger. NiMH or NiCad?

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
A popular charger I've found is the Rayovac PS3. It's a smart charger that'll take Nicads, Nimhs, and rechargeable alkalines. It has individual channels and can charge AAAs to Ds plus 9V. Trickle charges, auto shut off (dV) too. Plus it's not too expensive at around $20USD or less.

Dunno if you were looking for an all sizes charger but this is a relatively good and inexpensive one.

-Daniel

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Well up here in Toronto, I can find them in Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire.

My guess is that you're in the USA so I guess try the nearest Wal-Mart. Any other American members know? Possibly Target although I've never been in one but a lot of members shop there for flashlights so it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps.

-Daniel

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
The state of the art in AA nimh chargers just now is probably the MH-C401FS. Four individual charging circuits (so you get your 1,2,3 or 4 batteries), with both fast and medium charging speeds available. The type of charger you use is at least as important as the brand/capacity of the batteries you are buying. Take a look at the following for some ideas:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/C401FS/C401A.HTM

I thought the following observation was the most salient:

"Overall, it still seems that chargers can charge fast, completely, and gently (low battery temperatures), but you can only pick two of the three characteristics."

So pick your poison!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to charge AA/AAAs only, you may want to grab yourself the Maha C401FS; it's the best fast charger for AA/AAAs right now... If you're going to charge Cs and Ds as well, and you want a voltage meter readout, then check out the CCrane Quick Charger. Both chargers operate on an independant channel basis (well, CCrane technically not, but...)...