Border Patrol Light(Police/security people speak up!)

upriver

Newly Enlightened
Have a friend who is passed the border patrol test/interview, and is "kind of" hired pending background tests, medical tests, etc. He asked me about a light to get before he heads to Arizona or wherever they need people. He said $35-40, but is flexible maybe up to 50 or 60 bucks. He saw my P2D and doesn't mind the different modes, and actually likes the strobe (but I'd say nothing more complex/programmable like nitecore).

I am thinking Fenix mainly because I have a few, and because they seem a good bet in this price range as far as performance and reliability. If he had lots more to spend, I'd point out surefire, novatac and others like that. Actually, once he's working, he'll probably get a military-quality light anyway.

So...what do you think? Any idea if they are going to give him a light right away? If so, what kind?

I'm considering sticking to an AA light with lithiums for now...later on I'd definitely recommend some eneloops or similar; nothing wrong with CR123A, but he'd have to order those online, and I'd like a more common battery format for now; and I don't want to mess with rechargeble lithiums because those are risky and he's not going to watch them as carefully as any you do. I don't think he needs a tiny light, because this isn't a backup to another light, this being his first one; he'd probably be using a holster anyway.

I'm thinking LD10/LD20/L1T/L2T or Olight T15/T25 (stretching the $40 budget here!). Maybe TK20 (too big? come with holster?). Should I actually be leaning towards a light with more throw for this type of job (ie TK20 or TK11)?

BTW...if the consensus turns out that he HAS TO HAVE a $100 light for this job, I'll do my best to convince him (if I had a job that might end up with bullets flying at me, I'd have the best flashlight for the job).

Thanks for reading - I think I'm incapable of short posts :)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
He might want to wait to see what he is issued.

I had some friends who went to Border Patrol and were given lights.

djblank87

Enlightened
He still has a way to go if they have only started his background. He will most likley be issued a Streamlight Stinger.

upriver

Newly Enlightened
He still has a way to go if they have only started his background. He will most likley be issued a Streamlight Stinger.

He said he can get on some kind of "fast-track" program since he is currently unemployed.

I know its early to be worrying about a light for him, but...this is cpf:thumbsup:

chaos_23

Newly Enlightened
They'll issue him some type of large light, my recommendation would be for a smaller task light. I love my 6PL (with clickie cap, lol), but I just got my Nitecore D10, and I see this getting a lot of play at work. I don't know what you mean about it being complex, there's just high, low, and in between. I'd recommend something like that as a light he can use a lot, and use the issued light for most duty applications.

That said, I recommend the Streamlight DS Stinger with LED for a duty light if that's what he wants to get. I've had some problems with my switch, but they're warrantied so it's worked out. I should mention this is the only light I've used for work, so my pool to draw from is narrow.

JBorneu

Enlightened
If his issued big light is decent you should get him a sturdy backup light like the Nitecore Defender Infinity or the Eagletac P10A.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind getting your hands a bit dirty the romisen rc g2 with a cree q5 can be had for $20 from shining beam. Coupled with the driver from deal extreme SKU 7880 ($4) and a Nimh AA should produce around 200 lumens. for my guess would be ~40 minutes or so.

This thread gives a good idea of what is involved.https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190624

supposedly the shining beam light is already unglued, and if the bin is Q5 it shouldn't need swaping. So all that would have to be done would be to unsolder the leads to the led board. unscrew the pill, pop out the old driver, put in the new, resolder the leads, maybe some thermal epoxy to add more thermal mass. Supposedly the pwm dimmer controls can also be bypassed to make it a single (high) mode light. I'd also see if the reflector could be removed to pop on a DX sku 1920 for good measure.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look at the other LEO recommendation threads, you'll get plenty of choices.

Reliability is the #1 concern. If he's taking 30 uncuffed people in custody back to the dirt road where his vehicle is parked, by himself--1/2 mile away--he will want his light to work.

Throw/brightness/output is important. Anything with a Cree or Seoul LED is fine.

Mike 208

Enlightened
I seem to remember reading that the Border Patrol issues Streamlight Stingers to its agents.

Personally, I would do the following:

1) Wait to see if he's actually hired.
2) See what the agency issues (he may actually like what they give him).
3) See what flashlights the agency will allow him to use (Most dept's
have restrictions on what their agents can carry; usually each agency
has its "approved" types of equipment [i.e. flashlights] that an agent
is allowed to choose from, but some agencies do not allow their
agents to use any equipment that it not issued by them. You don't
want to buy your friend an "unapproved" flashlight that may get your
friend in trouble [especially when he's on probation]. As was already
stated, there's still plenty of time to buy your friend a "good"
flashlight.)

I hope your friend makes it through the process.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD20/L2D for its good records and using AA.
TK11 R2 for durability and output.
For stretching the budget to 3 times :whistle: Surefire E2D Led, good thrower and dependability. (Probably it can deflect some of the bullets you mentioned flying around :laughing:)
My 2¢.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike 208,

Good advice generally.

The Border Patrol issues one Streamlight Stinger--or maybe the Stinger LED. Other lights are available depending on location, assignment, etc.

The Border Patrol has no restrictions on flashlights--even weaponlights. Even the newest trainee 1 day out of the academy needs to be carrying a backup flashlight (or 2) on the night shifts. It's possible a training officer may object to a personal light being placed on the belt during training status (about 6 months in the field), especially if the holster and light aren't black. If that's a problem, put the flashlight in a pocket.

upriver

Newly Enlightened
I guess I'll throw some recommendations at him, but tell him to hold off for awhile. After all, he technically isn't hired yet and stuff could go wrong.

Anybody object to a Fenix being "tough" enough or reliable enough for this type of work? The TK series is probably best in this regard.