Assault Weapon Ban may be lifted

bigcozy

Enlightened
If you hang around the gun crowd they have been saying that the ban would be lifted all along, I never believed them. President Bush said before the election and after he would sign the bill. However, it seems today that no body on either side of the isle is in too much of a hurry to bring this up. It still has about a year left on it before the sunset. It may be it never gets to his desk. Word is they may leave the import ban and 4 evil feature rule in and allow hi cap mags. Also heard that they (Congress) are going to try to cut a deal so this stays off radar, maybe a compromise of some sort. Dems feel they got hammered on this issue.

Just thought I would put this out there. So much bull has been thrown around on gun sites it is really pointless to discuss it there.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Bigcosy:

I take it that you are in favor of lifting the ban. So am I.

For all intents and purposes it is meaningless law. Especially the four evil features.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Now come on, this type of stuff is common sense legislation! Surely you remember our long national nightmare with that rash of drive by bayonettings? That proves this has everything to do with protecting the children!

ewick

Enlightened
What you have to remember is that statistics don't mean anything to the control freaks. When's the last time you heard of a California crime involving a .50BMG? They still banned it.

Maybe we'll soon be able to get high capacity magazines for our "assault" Ruger 10-22s again.

Willmore

Enlightened
Wasn't there a praticular event with a high cap mag for a ruger 10-22 (one of the finest .22 rifle families ever, IMHO, give me the long bull barrel any day) at a McDonalds that got their undies in a twist?

My favorite 'shove it in their face' tactic for that crowd is to take the 'death per year by cause' breakdown that the government produces every year (including historical graphs and breakdowns by age groups) and show them how much more likely it is to die by 'accidental rock inhalation' or some such than by accidental or intentional firearm use.

Never works, but it does make me feel better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They always seem to fall back on the 'but they are not necessary' idea. Okay, like all of those huge SUVs are 'necessary'? Where's the huge call to ban them? (well, I'd sign for that one....)

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
hopefully this bs will pass and the useless laws will sunset. if it does, i'll be doing alot of spending. especially if the import dies, oh man oh man.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Hey Willmore, we agree! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My favorite tactic when faced with the tearful (albeit often sincere) declaration that we have to do all sorts of horrible legislative and litigious things to legal firearm owners because of the number of children killed in accidental shootings each year is to point out that the number of children that die in accidental burnings each year far exceeds the number killed by firearms.

Therefore since our goal is protecting children then surely they are for mandatory locks on matches and lighters, prosecution of parents of children found in possession of fire making materials, mandatory fire-prevention classes, banning match-books that hold over 10 matches, registration and purchase permits for purchasers of lighters, and class action suits against Bic for the damage careless use of their product has caused.

After all, only wanting to do this stuff to gun owners would seem to indicate the presence of motives other than protecting children...

Tomas

Banned
Heh. The 1994 "assault rifle" ban had nothing to do with banning assault rifles, only with banning assault rifle look-alikes, and other things (like "large capacity" magazines) that made a good target.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the ban is lifted, I'll be first in line to buy a FN Fifty-seveN pistol. They are too cool.
Please, everybody, email or write to your goverment officials to let the ban sunset.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
it would be a dream. i would go on a buying spree before another could be put in it's place.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
What about those of us who live in gun-hating cities where it is virtually impossible to get a carry permit, and God help you if you're caught carrying without one.

The NRA is supposed to be so powerful, but they are helpless in the face of these misguided laws.

When you all go out and buy the beautie of your choice please think of the poor dumb law-abiding folks like me who have no choice.

End of rant.

Brightnorm

MichiganMan

Enlightened
I feel for you brightnorm. But hey look at the bright side, with all those gun laws in place you guys must not have much violent crime at all, right?

uh, brightnorm?

hello?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
sunspot, just for clairification, that would be the FN Five-seveN. I, too, would like to own one, but I won't pay the undoubtably high price that it would cost. It would be an awesome and enjoyable firearm.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orian, I stand corrected, thanks. As to the cost, if they are under $1700, I will buy one. I played with one at the SHOT show and they are sweet. Not to big or heavy and the trigger was like butter with the cleanest break I have ever felt. I'm even going through a half-as*ed attempt to bring one into the US but lucky for me, it's not working out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MichiganMan said:
I'd be happy being able to carry the 15 rounds my Glock 19 was designed for instead of the arbitrarily declared "safer" limit of 10.

[/ QUOTE ]You do know that you can buy new hi-cap "replacement" tubes for your Glock? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm, there is only one thing left to do............move! if at all possible.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Sunspot, I just noticed them in the past year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just another angle showing how ineffective these bans are.