What's the Surefire hype about???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBKrPeter50

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at getting my first 1xCR123A flashlight and I have been looking at many different brands. I have always heard good things about Surefire lights and from what I have seen, there might be some better lights for the money, but I was just curious about all of the hype? I have been looking at the E1B and the E1L, but I am just not sure.

thanks
Patrick

wishywashy7

Enlightened
dear friend,

You have unfortunately touched upon a extremely sensitive topic in this forum. Personally I feel that Surefire products as well worth the cost and are among the most dependable lights in the market.

Be advised, kindly use the search function of the forum on this often-repeated topic before posting, as to avoid heated debates on this, that will lead to the inevitable thread closure.

best regards,

wishywashy7 lovecpf

gsxrac

Enlightened
This question is asked a LOT but pretty much if you want a light to work under the kitchen sink with a Surefire probably isnt for you but if you want an extremely rugged light that wont let you down that has an amazing warranty and you dont mind spending the extra bucks to get such a light then Surefire is the way to go :shrug: Its all in what you really want and what your willing to spend for it

MBKrPeter50

Newly Enlightened
dear friend,

You have unfortunately touched upon a extremely sensitive topic in this forum. Personally I feel that Surefire products as well worth the cost and are among the most dependable lights in the market.

Be advised, kindly use the search function of the forum on this often-repeated topic before posting, as to avoid heated debates on this, that will lead to the inevitable thread closure.

best regards,

wishywashy7 lovecpf
I was in no way trying to touch on a touchy subject. I was just wanting to know why people like Surefire lights so much. I have heard that they a extremely durable and that they have a great warrenty, but I just wanted to know why they are so loved. Thinking back, "hype" might not have been the best word for this thread, and for that I am sorry

Thanks
Patrick

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
I was just coming here to ask the same question... lol

I just bought my first flashlight, Fenix TK10. Was looking for another one to keep at home and wanted to see what the big deal was with surefire.

Checked out their website and saw most lights were twice as expensive, had half the power, extremely low runtimes, and were kinda of ugly... :sick2:

Ill be sticking to Fenix.

davidt

Enlightened
Never used an E1B before, but I can tell you the E1L is an excellent light with a warranty that you will never have to worry about it breaking down.

gsxrac

Enlightened
The reason Surefire doesnt have insane lumens is because they are all about reliability and tossing a light onto the market with a brand new emitter 2 months after it hits the market isnt their idea of testing. Instead they test everything over and over again until theyre SURE that its going to be the best.
If you new to the high end market youve gotta watch the "claimed" lumens. Check the CPF forums before you decide on a light and see if somebody has tested the light your interested in because alot of companies will say theyre putting out 200 lumens when theyre actually closer to the 100 range. Surefire UNDER rates their lights from what I understand. ANd maybe the best way to look at it is that the US government uses Surefire lights, not Fenix, not Mag, not _______ , Im guessing if they thought that they could get by with a light that would cost them half as much be twice as bright and be just as reliable they would... just my 2 cents :grin2:

Last edited:

gsxrac

Enlightened
Ok and JUST to clear this up BEFORE it starts im not saying that Fenix and Mag and all these other lights arent great lights because they are! Just for ME if I have to trust a light COMPLETLY Im going to feel much more comfortable if its a Surefire. Now I carry an Olight in my EDC gear... But I also have my E1e with a KL1 head as a backup...

GPB

Enlightened
A Timex will do the same thing a Rolex will do for thousands less. If someone could be equally happy with a either watch, they should get the Timex. It's nice to have choices since everyone has a different expectation of their "ideal" light. Do a little research and get the light that's best for you.

300winmag

Enlightened
Ok and JUST to clear this up BEFORE it starts im not saying that Fenix and Mag and all these other lights arent great lights because they are! Just for ME if I have to trust a light COMPLETLY Im going to feel much more comfortable if its a Surefire. Now I carry an Olight in my EDC gear... But I also have my E1e with a KL1 head as a backup...

Completely understandable, if my life depended on a light I would feel the same way.

USM0083

Enlightened
Lumens arn't everything. A tough, reliable light back up by an excellent warranty is what Surefire offers. I have a 6P from the early 1990s that's been upgraded with a R2 Cree. 20 years from now it'll still be in use with the latest 1000 lumen emitter. ;)

We've gone insane with how powered lights. Consider a mere 5 years ago, 100 lumens in something the size of a 6P was considered very bright. Nowadays you can get that out of a single AA, but beam quality and build quality also counts.

Most users don't need 250+ lumen lights. For that matter, most users don't need the over-engineered lights that SF provides. For the discriminating users, Surefires and other high quality (and high priced) lights are tools that a professional can appreciate.

I have a Fenix L2D CE as my EDC, but on my sam brown I have a G2Z/Dereelight 1SM-1, and a G3/Dereelight 3SM Q3 5A, two lights I trust my life with.

cbxer55

Enlightened
I have seven Surefire lights, one Fenix, one LEDLenser, and two Maglites.
The Surefires are as follows.
6P
8X
9N
E1
E2
M2
U2

The one that goes in my pocket everyday, without fail, is the U2.
I have thrown away, or lost more Mags than I care to count. Also thrown away one LEDLenser. My Fenix P1D-CE is a great little light that serves as "backup" for my U2. Despite all the complaints, my U2 still has its original clickie switch after nearly 3 years. The only complaint I have with them is the E1 goes through a lot of bulbs for some strange reason. So I have put all my incans away, and am strictly a LED fan now. U2 and P1D-CE for me.

The U2 cost $280.00 and I am not complaining, worth every penny of that.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Ok surefire has a great warranty, but doesnt Fenix also have a lifetime warranty... :confused:

What makes surefire so much more reliable than Fenix? Not hating here just trying to understand. From what ive heard Fenix is very durable and built like a tank. Also comes with a lifetime warranty, 60/215 lumens for hours and about 70 bucks...

I havent seen any fenix's fail on here and if they do, so what get it replaced. The warranty shouldnt be the main point that makes surefire lights the best light out there, hypothetically speaking of course.

Last edited:

maxilux

Enlightened
Can some one close this thread please ???
Not every week again the same discussion !!!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Gerally...

Cheers:
-Lifetime warranty + replacement parts form Surefire, just give them a call.
-Parts designed & fabricated ~300 miles south of my home.
-Good machining finish and build quality / robustness and heft/feel.
-Lego-ability and mod potential.

Jeers:
-Poor lux/lumens per dollar
-Color tint & beam quality is hit or miss
-Not 18650 or RCR123 capable

The E2DL would be the exception... its VERY bright.

Last edited:

pipspeak

Enlightened
Checked out their website and saw most lights were twice as expensive, had half the power, extremely low runtimes, and were kinda of ugly... :sick2:

:crackup::crackup: You mean you weren't taken in by Surefire's claim of 11 hours on the 6PL?! Heh. some Surefire lights are worht the money, most are not IMHO. But they're still nice lights, however expensive they might be.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Ok surefire has a great warranty, but doesnt Fenix also have a lifetime warranty... :confused:

What makes surefire so much more reliable than Fenix? Not hating here just trying to understand. From what ive heard Fenix is very durable and built like a tank. Also comes with a lifetime warranty, 60/215 lumens for hours and about 70 bucks...

I havent seen any fenix's fail on here and if they do, so what get it replaced. The warranty shouldnt be the main point that makes surefire lights the best light out there, hypothetically speaking of course.

Have a read through this thread, very informative.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217828

DM51

Flashaholic
Can some one close this thread please ???
Delighted to oblige.

New members would do better to read a few threads before jumping in and starting new ones on topics that have already been flogged to death hundreds of times over.

Status
Not open for further replies.