The Fenix-Store        
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Titanium "Haiku"

Banned

Default Re: The Titanium "Haiku"

Quote Originally Posted by herrgurka View Post
    Yepp, us Europeans are really nitpicking when it comes to metric measures

Especially the French, since they practically invented the meter and produced a platinum bar of that exact length in 1799 (the International Prototype Meter) that still can be seen at the Pavillon de Breteuil near Paris. I once visited this place to look at the meter since it is a nice example of the ideals of "exact science".

But behold, after the meters invention it was discovered that:
    - the meter is no natural measure after all. The idea of one ten-millionth of the distance between the North Pole and the equator had to be abandoned since earth is not a perfect globe.
    - the meter bar finally produced is actually a little short due to miscalculations

So much for exact science. Of course, the meter does seem to be a more exact measure than an average man's thumb.......
    All measurements are arbitrary; what matters is whether they are at least consistent with each other, like the way 1mL of water occupies 1cc of space and weighs 1g. English measurements have no such consistency.

It is unfortunate, however, that France's prototype 1-meter long platinum bar varies in length according to temperature.

That would be why the meter is now defined as the distance a beam of light travels in .00000000334s -- but only in a vacuum, because light travels more slowly through space with particles in it. I don't remember what the speed of light is in air, but I do know it takes light several thousand years to bounce its way through the horrific mess at the center of the sun.

How noticeable is the PWM on the Haiku?

I've seen it mentioned that some people are more sensitive to it than others.

Don't know if that's true or not, but I can't see it.

Tim

Flashaholic*

The PWM is not particularly bad on the Haiku. But I don't think it's particularly fast either. I don't really notice it unless I have it set on a table and the emitter is within my field of vision. I sometimes notice it when it is raining. Most of the time, I'm holding the flashlight pointed forward, I don't notice it at all. Personally, I can see PWM quite easily, but it doesn't really bother me. I can also see color separation in DLP projectors. I'm much more sensitive to inductor whine coming from flashlights, which the Haiku does not have.

Thanks Tim and Bruce.
    Haiku ordered and already shipped

Enlightened

i would just like to say a big thank you to Don, my haiku arrive along with the replacement item for my very special sundrop .
    Now i need to find a ti-pd mule
    Last edited by delboy; 11-28-2009 at 10:25 AM.

I have had my Haiku for just a few days and I have to say wat a pleasure it is to own. I is fantastic balance of form and function
    I am looking for somthing to keep it in I don't want a belt pouch rather a simple slip pouch. Any idears?

Mike

Case Logic's UP-1 is a perfect fit. I don't care for the cheap carabiner, so I took it off the one that my Haiku-UV lives in.
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

So beautiful! So... expensive.

Love the light, but it's not the price for me

Flashaholic

I am doing searches for it and cannot locate it. Where are the user interface instructions for the Haiku?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shurock View Post
    I am doing searches for it and cannot locate it. Where are the user interface instructions for the Haiku?

Thanks!
    Instructions?

The Haiku has three levels, and you cycle them by turning the flashlight on and off in rapid succession. Whatever you leave it on, it remembers the next time you use it.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

I don't know where the UI of the 3S converter is mentioned off hand but it may be in a SunDrop thread as I believe that was the first light introduced with the converter.

Basically you turn the light on and it comes on in the last level selected. To cycle through the levels you need a short time lapse of off between an initial on state and then a new on state where the new level is established.

The duration of an on cycle can be anything from a split second flash or a complete run down of a battery's supply. The only thing that changes the level is a quick (~1 second) off cycle.

If you turn the light off when it was in medium level and remove the battery and install a new one, when you turn it on, it will come on in medium. Same for low or high levels.

As far as the switch is concerned, it doesn't matter if you are using the switch in momentary or latched activation. What counts and is counted is the length of the off cycle. If it is short enough, the light will cycle to the next level. If the off cycle is long enough, it will come back on at the previously used level.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I my

Sorry - couldn't resist...

Flashaholic

Just my 2 cents on the PWM, i don't see it using rechargeable batteries, but i do on regular lithium batteries, maybe it's me?

I don't notice it at all.

Are you referring to a candle like flicker on the low mode?

EDIT - Just realised this isn't the XP-G thread
    Last edited by DimeRazorback; 04-20-2010 at 06:03 PM.

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

I'm fortunate - I can't see it at all. And fwiw, I always use AW RCRs.

Quote Originally Posted by reeso View Post
    How noticeable is the PWM on the Haiku?

It was noticeable enough for me to sell it. I like to do some reading with it, although its not really meant for that, but really, I noticed it on low and medium. I'm not knocking the light as the other features are awesome: beautiful form and function, well thought out spaced light levels, probably the most comfortable clicky switch ever, and great in the hand. My main thing was I just didn't feel a light for the price and caliber of quality should emit those characteristics when there exist $35 and slightly more (under $100) lights that seem to have fixed this problem. Who knows though, in the future, if there comes a Haiku 2 or Haiku B without PWM, I just might snag one.

Banned

I can see the PWM if I turn it on low, shake the light, and look at the emitter. I can't see it if I'm looking at something I'm illuminating -- at least not if I'm holding it still enough for the thing to be readable.

I'm shaking it and looking at it, and i dont see a flicker(PWM)

Quote Originally Posted by SFfanman View Post
    It was noticeable enough for me to sell it. I like to do some reading with it, although its not really meant for that, but really, I noticed it on low and medium. I'm not knocking the light as the other features are awesome: beautiful form and function, well thought out spaced light levels, probably the most comfortable clicky switch ever, and great in the hand. My main thing was I just didn't feel a light for the price and caliber of quality should emit those characteristics when there exist $35 and slightly more (under $100) lights that seem to have fixed this problem. Who knows though, in the future, if there comes a Haiku 2 or Haiku B without PWM, I just might snag one.
    My Quark Preon II did flicker in the medium setting but my new Haiku XP-G 2xAA has been flawless so far. I would say that I think I have found the perfect light even when I use the low setting it seems to put out more useful light than my Quark does in the medium setting. I would sooner have one really good light than several OK lights and the Haiku XP-G fits the bill.

[QUOTE=Per-Sev;3360027 I would sooner have one really good light than several OK lights .[/QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly.

Slight pwm, but certainly no flickering. I do clean the contacts on the light and batteries regularly, though... as well as the threads. PerSev- +2!

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Slight pwm, but certainly no flickering. I do clean the contacts on the light and batteries regularly, though... as well as the threads. PerSev- +2!
    I'm sure glad I can't see it - and PerSev/Scout24 - +3!

Banned

I'm sure I'm the last person to put 2+2 together on this, but now that there's a 3S 2-cell buck driver available for use with the Makai, it would be cool if they could also be assembled into Haiku-compatible light engines for the purpose of creating a 2-cell Haiku XP. It would finally put those heatsink fins to good use.

I've been looking for an excuse to "need" a 2-cell Clicky Pak, and I think a Haiku XP would pretty much fit the bill.

I definitely plan to experiment with a Haiku 2x123 light using the 3S Buck converter once it does become a reality but I do have concerns about the thermal relief available. It seems to me that even if you are within bounds heat wise for the LED and converter, the flux measurably drops as the heat rises. This is not significant if the use is short bursts on high but it does seem a bit pointless to drive a LED harder than optimal in a host if the main result is more heat and reduced run time if the light is kept on for longer durations.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Banned

I can't think of a single instance when I've been using my Haiku, even on high, that it's gotten more than warm to the touch. Obviously heat is a concern, but I think the Haiku head is more capable than it's given credit for.

Wau, what a beautifull thing!
    I think i have to dicuss with my... wallet

Quote Originally Posted by emu124 View Post
    Wau, what a beautifull thing!
    I think i have to dicuss with my... wallet
    Maybe i also should do like you .

Quote Originally Posted by TITANER View Post
    Maybe i also should do like you .
    My wallet lost

The Haiku's on the way to me

I do love my new Haiku .... It is in my pocket as I write.

Still struggle a little going from hi back to low mode.... "black magic" is how it was described to me!

Easy to cycle up from low to med to hi though.

I know that many people love the fact that it turns onto the last level due to its memory function.

Any chance that the next one could have either memory or no memory?

Stoli67

PS I have tried surefire primaries and also Ultrafire 16340s.... I have ordered some AWs to see if that makes a difference to the UI

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast