Maglite 2AAA as an EDC??

325addict

Enlightened
I read a lot of Maglites. Many threads are committed to either the Solitaire, or the AA.

Somewhere in between is the, seemingly lost, model "2AAA".

I have four of them in my collection, and recently I discovered that they are actually quite good as an EDC!

They are very slim, like a pen, and exactly 5 inches long. Depending on how you wear them, this length is no problem. They come with a pocket-clip, that makes them even more versatile.

They are bright enough for most purposes, run 2 hours from 2 cheap AAA batteries and are lightweight too.

What a surprise.... I've had these lights for years, I too almost forgot about them, and now they are back again :D
Searched all kinds of high-tech lights to be used as an EDC, while I actually got four in-the-house already....
The only situation when the length becomes a problem, is when you don't have a good pocket for it. I this case, Mag only offers the Solitaire, which might be a little dim :green:
In that case, I still would switch to the P1D or E1 executive...

Timmo.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you pointed out, length can be an issue. I always carry mine in front pants pocket so a 2AA/2AAA is too long. Another problem for me with the Mag is only one setting, although there's now a multi level 2AA version. The solitaire fails for me on all accounts but size. Low output, low runtime, poor beam quality IMO.

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
I wish maglite would make a 2AAA(for the slimness) that had the same head as the solitaire. that would be perfect. but then I could just use my EO1...

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
TerraLUX has a low powered drop-in kit,TLE-20 IIRC.What I would like is a tail clickie switch.With a clickie switch the 2AAA could be modified to use most PR base LED drop-ins.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC in my pocket for over a year now:thumbsup:, I have Three other EDC lights I carry, but they are LED and I like the idea that for what ever reason if I needed one I'd have an Incan:rolleyes:. Also I've upgraded it's out put by 3x:naughty:, so it's actually quite usable:twothumbs.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Yeah, I have a AAA Mag with the TerraLux TLE-20 module and Eneloops. It's my briefcase/computer bag EDC. Slim enough to fit in one of the pen slots in the case and it's a backup to my 85T or EX10 that's always in my pocket and the Inova X0 in the glove box.

Like most folks around here say, "1 is none and 2 is 1" :D. It's just so hard letting go of Mags.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yeah, I have a AAA Mag with the TerraLux TLE-20 module and Eneloops. It's my briefcase/computer bag EDC. Slim enough to fit in one of the pen slots in the case and it's a backup to my 85T or EX10 that's always in my pocket and the Inova X0 in the glove box.

Like most folks around here say, "1 is none and 2 is 1" :D. It's just so hard letting go of Mags.

Some incan mag-lego questions:
-Is it possible to put a 2AAA head + lamp in a solitaire and power it with a 10440 ?
-Is it possible to put a solitaire head on the 2AAA body to make it more pocket friendly?
-Is it possible to put the 2AAA incan lamp in a solitaire and power it with a 10440?

Lately the angry blue tint of my Nichia/AAA lights has got me thinking about incan EDC setups.

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
@ Kramer 5150:

The answers are: 3X NO.

The lamp of a 2AAA is LONGER than that of the Solitaire. And, this smaller lamp is already very close to the window in the Solitaire....

The thread diameter is different from the Solitaire and 2AAA. I tried it, they are NOT exchangeable.

Besides that, only ONE 10440 would ruin the lamp within minutes, if not insta-flashing it. It's 3,6V and the lamps are designed to take two (or one) fast-sagging Alkaline battery. That means, they will have a nominal voltage of about 2,4...2,6V or 1,2V.
I think, the lamp will flash immediately.

Timmo.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2 AAA Minimag was always one of my favored carry lights, still is. I modded mine with an SMJLED and now it is a bit brighter and when I tested it ran almost 30 hours on a set of batteries.

I also like the Streamlight Stylus Pro in this size and the pocket clip from the AAA Minimag even fits it and is stronger than the Streamlight version.

batman

Enlightened
I've been carrying the AAA mini mag as my edc from time to time over the last few weeks. I have the tera lux LED upgrade of course,..bc the stock lamp is unforgivably horrible quality(is this 2009?).

I like the UI, simplicity, and form factor of this light. it says "hey, I'm a flashlight," nothing more. I'd honestly say if money was no object the Arc AAA-GS is better though, by far.

Oh, forgot - I use teflon tape on the bezel threads to keep the bezel from wobbling around..quality control and engineering tolerances at Mag must be pretty low , as there was a lot of thread slop in mine right out of the box. not solidly built like a fenix or surefire.

Hope that was entertaining.
-batman

154CM

Newly Enlightened
It may not be the perfect edc light, but it sure beats sitting in the dark when you need some light.

thunderlight

Enlightened
I use my AAA minimag around the house with rechargeables, mostly eneloops. With rechargeables, it serves me well. I always have a set of AAA rechargeables waiting in the house and plenty of the new "SuperBright" mag bulbs. I use magic satin tape on the lens. In fact, it is the only maglight in stock incandescent form [ignoring the tape] that I regularly use.

With rechargables and cheap bulbs, it is economical, has incandescent color resolution, and relatively constant brightness. For external EDC, away from the house, I find single cell LEDs preferable due to runtime, size, and never having to worry about bulb changes.

I like the form factor and if I lost it, I would buy another ASAP. For me, it is one of the most used and useful of all the lights that I own.

BTW, I'm sure this is posted elsewhere in the forum, but when was the AAA minimag first manufactured?

EDIT: Changed "AA" typo to "AAA" and "sincle" typo to "single"; moved this edit note to end of post. Meant to say "one of the most used and useful" NOT "the most used and useful"

Last edited:

Culhain

Enlightened
Thanks for giving me an excuse to fire up the old "way back" machine. At some point in the early 1980s I bought my first 2AAA MiniMag from the original Early Winters catalog. They advertised it as a new item, but I have no idea if it was a new product or just new to their catalog. At that time they came with a clip, but the tail cap did not have a langyard hole.

I was never impressed with the light's output, but because of it's handy size and clip I stuck it in a pen slot of my briefcase, where it lived for the next 20 years. Also, and not by choice, I spent that 20 years traveling constantly for business. (Back then we called ourselves 'road dogs', so I chuckle and grin at the new appellation 'road warriors'.) So, over the years that little Mag saw me through aircraft power failures, blizzards, hurricanes, ice storms and car break downs, all the while putting out it's pathetic little dribble of yellow light. During my second travel related divorce, I got burned out with the constant traveling and obtained a normal job so my little light got a well earned retirement.

Then I found CPF and learned of LED drop ins, so my old 2AAA MiniMag returned to my briefcase. Today it serves to back up newer lights in case the new untested stuff fails to function.

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
Yes, the old bulbs in it hardly draw more than 120mA, so were quite dim. Today, the 2AAA comes with a 300mA bulb, which is much brighter (but eats batteries like wild, they will be empty in 2 hours!)
Alternatively, when using NiMH, you could use the new Xenon lamps, these draw about 380mA. And are even brighter of course :p

I have the old version laying next to me when I'm in bed. It serves me every night, when I want to see how late it is.... on my mechanical fifties Junghans alarm clock :grin2:

Timmo.