Ra Clicky 100 vs 140 vs 170 vs???

D-Dog

Enlightened
I've been reading a little bit about the new Ra lights, and I'm curious, quite simply, what the brightest clicky you can buy is.

Also, is the number (140lm for example) the burst rating? I'm just kinda confused as to how the rating system works. I also have heard of people with 170lm Ra's... how did those happen?

Edit: Then there are letters put after the rating too so it seems

I've figured GT - guaranteed tint

WW - warm white

CW - cool white?

What else am I missing?

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been reading a little bit about the new Ra lights, and I'm curious, quite simply, what the brightest clicky you can buy is.

The 170, which has a burst of 170lm for 10 seconds, which then drops to 120. These are few and far between as the capable emitters are very rare, so far people have had to win a contest to get one.

Also, is the number (140lm for example) the burst rating? I'm just kinda confused as to how the rating system works. I also have heard of people with 170lm Ra's... how did those happen?

170 drops to 120 after 10 seconds
140 drops to 100
120 drops to 85

Burst mode can be re engaged as many times as you like. The stepdown is only one level, it sounds like a big difference betwenn 170 and 120, for example, but it's not. It's just enough for your eyes to detect a change.

Edit: Then there are letters put after the rating too so it seems

WW - warm white

CW - cool white?

What else am I missing?

Looks like you got it. Except for CW, Is there a CW? The Clicky C model is the SSC based Clicky. The Twisty TW model is the SSC based Twisty. Where did you see CW used? Maybe someone was just refering to the SSC based Clickys.

Last edited:

zenas

Newly Enlightened
You should read the entire Clicky thread to figure it all out - it's not that difficult :cool:

But maybe it's easier to sum it up:

WW - warm white

CW - cool white?

As far as I know, there is no "CW" version... Just a "Cn" version, which means a narrower beam pattern.

The numbers (170, 140 ["old" 140-C/140-Cgt/140-Cn versions as well as "new" Executive / Tactical versions] and 120 [EDC Executive / EDC Tactical version] as well as 100 for the WWCn version) rate the output on the burst setting. After burst for 10 sec. the light will drop one level down (of its 22 or 23 levels), which is: 120, 100, 85 and 70 lm, respectively.
The 170 (which is a Cn clicky) is the brightest Clicky you can buy - but you have to win a contest which appears from time to time on the Ra-webpage to be able to buy one of these special lights. The brightest standard models (which are available in mass production) include the "old" 140-C / 140-Cgt / 140-Cn models as well as the "new" Clicky Executive and Clicky Tactical models...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
There has been a lineup change and prices have dropped some as well.
Most if not all of your questions can be answered at the Ra website
http://ralights.com/?id=Home

or for a quick comparison table

http://www.uniquetitanium.com/ra_lights.htm

The numerical designation (aka 140lm) is the burst output. The max constant output is that number divided by 1.41 ( the square root of two)

Some of the abbreviations CPF uses are described somewhere in the registry thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2701704

The 170s are virtually unobtanium. If you can get one they come at a pretty steep premium of $245 shipped.

electric sheep

Enlightened
I don't understand the rare nature of 170 capable emitters??? Surely with the battery source and general emitter efficiencies it is within easy reach ? Other single cell lights achieve higher with ease. Please educate me?

D-Dog

Enlightened
That is because the Ra lights use SSC emitters instead of the Cree ones other companies are using. The Cree ones are brighter, however, require a larger reflector to focus properly. Thus, with an SSC one, you get a musch smoother beam with little if any rings white wall hunters live to hate.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand the rare nature of 170 capable emitters??? Surely with the battery source and general emitter efficiencies it is within easy reach ? Other single cell lights achieve higher with ease. Please educate me?

You are most likely referring to Cree based lights.

It's not just the capability of producing 170lm, but more the capability of 120lm for over an hour. Emitters that are capable of 120lm for over an hour, get designated for 170 builds.

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

The 170CN's use a OSRAM Golden Dragon Plus emitter. They need to be able to reach a calibrated 170lm for 10 seconds and run at 120lm for 1 hour on a single CR123 and RCR123. These requirements make them hard to find.

D-Dog

Enlightened
Please explain this contest to me :) I understand the "winner" has to pay $245, but how do you "win"?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
:sssh:

This is gonna sound mean but there are a handful of diehard CPFers who have read every single post in the Ra thread and they want a 170 bad. They know how to enter the "lottery" and deserve a good chance with that kind of dedication. The more people who enter the lower their chances. If you want to know how you are going to have do do your own research. It should take about 10 minutes, and frankly I already answered your question in post 4.

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should further mention that I own a 170 and it is defiantly NOT worth the extra money.

I'm dead serious. The brightness difference between 140 and 170 is barely noticeable if you use the same emitter. The cost difference is almost $100. The Narrow (Golden Dragon) version throws further though so if that's what you want you might want to get a Tactical or a custom job since the executives come with the wide (SSC) beam.
You can get a 140 shipped for free from UT.