Anyone Still Using Proton Pro?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
This light continues to be one of my all-time favorites, only being topped by the likes of a FireFly-II and Arc-AAA. Does anyone still use thier Proton Pro on a regulary basis? How about EDC'ing the Pro? Do any of you still carry it all the time?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one a couple of months ago after reading your excellent review and mainly use it indoors at night.

I like the slim form factor. It fits inside holsters made for Mini Maglites.

There are so many features/modes, but I use just these two:

- adjustable brightness
- red light

energizer1aa-protonpro-lgx200.jpg

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yup - I got mine a few weeks ago on the strength of some positive write-ups on here, and I'm really pleased with it.

I need the red for astronomy, and the variable white light means it's useful for me in lots of other situations too. I also like the fact that it's small and light enough to carry about all the time (pocket-friendly - no sharp pointy bits). It can be a bit small for frozen fingers when it gets really cold like last night, so a 2xCR123 one with more grunt and the same UI would be interesting.

Definitely a keeper.

supes

Enlightened
I'm heavy considering this as a primary backup for EDC use. Do you consider the brightness is still adequate compared to Cree Q5 and R2 AA lights nowadays?

I do like the UI a lot.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always. This is the light that is attached to my man bag and goes everywhere with me. It sees a decent amount of use as I'm usually handing out the light I have in my pocket (because everyone at work learns to ask me for a light when hey need one).
Still one of the best lights ever made imho.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Yes, I'm still liking my Pro, a lot. It's one of two or three all time favorites. Like Moonshadow says, it's very pocket friendly. I don't EDC it all the time, but it's likely to be with me at night.

Geoff

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
3 lights that are ALWAYS in my Maxpedition Thermite are:

1. E2L single stage KX2 Z-52 twisty
2. X5 HA
3. Proton Pro which replaced the first version.

I like my Proton enough to always have it with me.

Now, what I carry on my belt is a different story....it changes all the time, for now it's the D10 at work and the LunaSol 20 on the off days.

Bill

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ray - welcome back!

I just thought about you a couple of days ago when I played with my Pro. I only use mine occasionally.

I've been wanting a D10 or EX10 based on your comments, but haven't picked up one yet. In the meantime, there's a new Liteflux LF3XT that I got instead of the EX10 and I'm very pleased with it. I can't remember if you had moved away from 123 based lights or not. I had, but I've gone back to them.

Mdinana

Enlightened
I don't actually have the Pro, but I have the Proton. It's pretty nice, occasionally I'll EDC it. Mainly it hides in my camping gear or BOB, depending on if I went camping anytime recently.

Kind of feel it's good "close in" light, but not so much past about 40 feet, so it's not a good "noise outside" kind of light.

But... if money loosens, up, I'm interested in the Pro. Be nice to have a bit longer reach.

paulr

Flashaholic
Hey Ray, interesting question. I've never had any of the Proton series but I've been interested in the Proton Pro since it came out, and was just looking at some dealer pages about it a few days ago. There are a few new models, apparently (lower than the Pro). I'm not sure exactly what the difference is. I'm really glad to hear the PPro has withstood the test of time with you. That makes me quite a bit more likely to buy one. I've been wanting a powerful 1aa light for a while and I don't like any of the current other offerings that I know of.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
One thing you should be prepared for, Paul, is that the beam is not pretty. The smooth reflector gives it decent throw at the expense of a nice uniform beam. There's a strong hot spot and some rings that could be bothersome, but it's not bad in real use. When I got mine from Rob (bondr006) he had given the reflector the hairspray treatment which did improve the smoothness. I decided to wash it off for max throw, but this is a solution if needed.

Geoff

Last edited:

nightshade

Enlightened
Yep, still using mine. One of the more under appreciated lights on CPF. I like to combine the Pro with a JetBeam II for those long work nights.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wore out the rubber button cover on my Proton Pro by EDC'ing it for months and using it several times each day. I sent it in for repair/replacement and they returned a (non-pro) 7LED Proton by mistake. When I called them about it they sent another Pro and told me to keep the Proton. Both with new Energizer Lithium AA cells. Great Service. :thumbsup:

I EDC the Pro a lot. The Proton nonpro sits near the bed, my primary at-night light with a wonderful not too bright beam. The Pro is much brighter with more throw but the beam pattern has rings, and the red even has rings.

When I need a little light (such as indoors), the Proton nonpro is great. When I need more light or some throw the Proton Pro is great. When I need MORE light there is a P7, M@g85, Ostar 1K, Triple-P7 or ...

The Proton Pro and Proton get a lot of use here..

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
That's good to know about the service, Alan, though I expected it to be good. Before getting the Pro I'd been using an old model Proton for quite a while. The button on that one is almost worn out. I'll not hesitant sending it back for fixing. My old Proton gets a lot of use around the house, too.

Geoff

Chao

Enlightened
Yes, I still EDC it, I like the side switch, and the UI :thumbsup:, if there is a improved version come out, I will still buy one.

paulr

Flashaholic
I guess I'm ok with the smooth reflector and ugly beam for this purpose, since the PPro would be a companion to a wide-angle light (Zebralight H50), with the PPro used for long range spotting. I'm also interested in the much larger and more powerful Fenix TK40 for this purpose.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Yep, still using my Proton Pro here. I got mine a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. The UI is great and the secondary red LED is the icing on the cake.

It has replaced the Arc AAA (CS) in my EDC/BOB bag and shares the lighting duties with my SF 6PL and Pak-Lite Super.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to This_Is_Nascar --

Glad to see you here again ! :wave:

Got my LRI Photon Proton Pro on March 10th, 2008,
based (in no small part) upon your favorable reports !

Been EDC carrying it every single day ever since !

This is one of my Favorite flashlights. :thumbsup:

Although it's been difficult to operate wearing winter gloves.

That lovely, stainless-steel clip has NEVER failed me !

:twothumbs

_