SuperFlux Vs Luxeon 1watt

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at my superflux. It's a nice flood lights. Little dome on the top does no help in focus.
I wonder what will a NX-05 optics to do it.
0.JPG

Notice the spidery like package /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
1.JPG

The NX-05 optics doesn't fit, it just sits on top of the sflux. So I took out my micropuck and a 1.2v NiCd
and fired up the superflux. The ampmeter reads 50ma which is just fine for the sflux.

5.JPG

This is the micropuck with NiCd AA cell, firing up the sflux without the NX-05 optics. Picture is taken
with flash in unlit room.
Ignore the electronics on the right, it's for another project that will be superceeded by the micropuck and
superflux. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The micropuck is tiny!

6.JPG

This picture is the justice, I guess that's the brightness in real life a 5 lumens Cyan Superflux operates.

2.JPG

The NX-05 optics gathers all the light from the spill of the 4.5 lumens Green Superflux and creates a nice hotspot.
On the left is the brightest LSH-P I have. You can see the ceiling florocent in the middle. The lights are on the floor,
9 feet away from the ceiling, with the LSH-P slightly higher because of it's body. Notice the imperfection of the
hotspot created by the sflux. No reason to place a ARCAAA here, it doesn't light up bright enough to stand out.

3.JPG

The 5 lumens Cyan Superflux. The optics is a PITA to adjust on the sflux as it slides around easily and disfigure
the hotspot. I am still figuring out how to stick the optics on to the sflux.

4.JPG

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Disgusting cyan flood puke green without the optics.

Without the optics, the superflux is useless for hotspot. IMO 50ma with optics is a real LS killer.
If I am not wrong, Lumileds does not manufacture white superflux, if it exists, it would be interesting
to place them side by side. If there's a white Superflux then it would be the bridge between 5mms and
Luxeons. I am pretty impressed with a 50ma with the light output even without the optics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am still measuring the runtime of a micropuck and a superflux on a AA NiCd cell. Will update when I get the data.

Be careful not to load the micropuck with fresh cell as it will blow the superflux.

Micropuck input voltage vs miliAmp output
1.59v - 77.9ma (Fresh AA alkaline cell)
1.39v - 58.7ma
1.2v - 54.3ma
Note, the current output differs for different Vf of each LED.
Micropuck is not suitable for driving superflux unless you use a cell below 1.2v.

MicroPuck SuperFlux /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Vince.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
very interesting. How does it stack up against a 1w Cyan LS? I wonder how big of a difference that would be? You should try 30mm optics too and see what happens!

highlandsun

Enlightened
Hm, for my colorwasher project I've been looking for a nice even illumination with no hotspots. An array of superfluxes may be more effective than a string of a couple LSs here. Thanks for the reminder.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light spill is terrible, you can see light from any angle of the superflux! As for your project, I guess it works fine. I would recommend a reflector place behind the sflux.

Vince.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be neat to have a flashlight with a say cyan luxeon, 30mm optics, and then maybe a superflux or two without optics for increased flood. Dual spot/flood in one. Or would the cyan 1w LS wipe out your eyes sensitivty to the superflux's flood?

This makes me want to fire up my 12,000mcd 50ma 10mm orange jumbo led I got for ratshack years ago but never have powered up!!

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to try a cyan SuperFlux x 4, totals up to 200ma. I'll place them in a 2C reflector. I wonder how much light output I'll get.

Vince.