Need LONG throw with bright tight spot

mrmonk7663

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I need some professional help here. I work in law enforcement on the border of the United States. I am looking for some help on light choice. I need a light that can throw very far...200+yards and illuminate a spot. I don't want a maglite style light as i want to comfortably carry it on my duty belt. I'm thinking around 8" long MAX or less would be ideal for size. I know that a light that will throw like i'm talking will not have very good spill for area illumination, and i'm ok with that. Honestly, I would like to purchase 2 lights, one with supreme throw, and another with good throw but also some area illumination. I need the light(s) to be able to disorient a single person and a light that can disorient a group of people (yes I understand I will most likely need too lights) I want to stay in the $100 or less price range...cheaper is better money wise but not to sacrifice light quality per se. Also, I would prefer the light(s) to be quite a bit brighter than any Surefire offerings currently available. I know I am in the LED forum but if you think you have an incan suggestion then let me know as well. I hope I have provided enough information. Please help if you can...you'll essentially be helping protect our nations security!!! Thanks and by the way I'm Michael and I'm new here and I have searched the hell out of the boards for the past few days but there is too much info for a newb to sort through.

One more thing...I was looking at the M20 OLIGHT and considering it, but honestly I have no clue. Thanks everyone.

Summary for light(s)

Light 1
LONG throw
Tight Spot
LED or INCAN
Able to temporarily blind and disorient
Over 200yds throw (more is much better)
8" overall or less...give or take

Light 2
Super Bright
Area illumination with descent throw and hotspot still
Able to temporarily blind and disorient a group of people
I would prefer this to be smaller than Light one if possible.

arioch

Enlightened
One suggestion might be the Dorcy 220 Lumen Rechargeable.

1.) Rechargeable; A/C and D/C chargers included.
2.) Very good thrower (I use one, trust me). Literature claims 980 foot (about 300 meters) beam. I work night security at a golf resort (2- 18 hole courses), and the beam will light up pretty much anything I want. Spill beam is also pretty good, although this light is mainly a thrower.
3.) Length is listed as 8.75 inches long. slightly longer than the 8 inches you requested, but it is very lightweight.
4.) Large head on the light allows it to be carried on the belt with a Mag D belt ring or other flashlight holster.
5.) If you shine the hotspot of this light in someone's face, you will definitely blind them ... don't know about disorientation effects, though.
6.) priced at about $48 from on line retailers (Brightguy) or at about $55 from Sears.

One drawback for this light is the switch (reverse clicky- no momentary; side switch- no tactical rear switch).

Good luck on your quest, and welcome to CPF! :)

Bushman5

Enlightened
check out the PELICAN LAPD 7060 LED thrower. It throws very far, is rechargable, 8", lightwieght and has the Nukeproof Pelican lifetime warrranty,

:twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The two well know LED throwers right now are the Dereelight DBS and Tiablo A10, but both are above your price range. The Tiablo should throw further.

You might try your luck in the B/S/T(buy, sell, trade) subforum in the Marketplace for the Dereelight.

How much runtime would you like?
What do you use now?
Which batteries do you prefer?

I'm not sure of the M20 will have a usable beam at 200 yards, same goes for the Fenix TK11.

:welcome:

Edit: the Ultrafire 007 recoil seems to be a good thrower with no spill beam, but I'm not sure how well it will last.

Last edited:

ryts100

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Jet III Military/LE. http://store.bugoutgearusa.com/jemi.html I'm going to purchase it very soon. You'll probably want the Hybrid reflector.
Specs:
Model: JET-III M
LED: CREE 7090 XR-E (Q5 bin)
Max Output: 225 Lumen (Torch Lumen)
Reflector: Aluminum Reflector (OP, SMO, Hybrid)
Lens: Mineral Glass
Material: T6061 T6 aircraft aluminum alloy
Finish: HA III Military grade hard annodized
Battery: CR123*2,RCR123*2,18650 Li-ion
Input voltage: 2.7-15V
Switch: Forward clickie switch
Waterproof: Accord to IPX-8 standard
Dimension: Bezel diameter 33mm, Tail diameter 24mm, Overall length 130mm
Weight: 118g
Patented Product.

Output & Runtime:
MAX output
CR123*2: 225Lumen, 2Hours
RCR123*2: 225Lumen, 1Hours
18650*1: 225Lumen, 3Hours
Min Output: 2 Lumen, lasting for 200 hours

You can use 3 different types of batteries too. It's a bit pricey for you budget though, $90.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
For a cheap, tight spot thrower, the DX 007 recoil light doesnt seem bad, at all.
At least for that price, you can just buy it to try it out (as opposed to used-car priced lights suggested in the first reply).

Patriot

Flashaholic
It would have to be one of the throwers that Gunner mentioned. The M20 wont reach that far and 200 yards is a lot to ask of any small light depending on how much light at that range will be acceptable for your purposes.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
MrMonk, this is the light you want.

$99.

Takes (2) CR123's

Throws 600ft. (which is conservative)

Has strobing function which may be your 'disorienting' ace in the hole. (No pun intended to the Tiablo ACE):p

250 lumen.

Designed for LEO's......and if you contact Jim at
[email protected] you can get an even better price.

If it was me in your shoes, I'd go for the rechargeable model. That would save you on future batteries and give you another 50 lumens to make it 300+.

I own the 8w rechargeable and it will light things up very effectively at 600ft.

Its dimensions are 6 5/8" long, 1" Diameter body and 40mm Diameter head. There is quite a long thread on it here.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I forgot about the Sunlight 8W LED. It looks like a pretty good thrower and might work for what you want.

I think the DBS might still be a bit out of range at 200 yards, but that depends on how well you would like to light something up at 200 yards.

mrmonk7663

Newly Enlightened
Wow guys, this forum is great. I am literally amazed at the amount of responses I have gotten in a short time. I am going to sift through all the reccomendations that you all have provided me and narrow it down. I'll post back later today or tomorrow. In the interim if any more reccomendations come up send them this way. Thanks again everyone.

Michael

mrmonk7663

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys, what about the Tiablo A9 with the new Tiablo Aspherical lens upgrade? This would fit in my proposed pricerange and the beam pics I have seen look...Amazing...70,000 lux...??? Input?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
One suggestion might be the Dorcy 220 Lumen Rechargeable.

1.) Rechargeable; A/C and D/C chargers included.
2.) Very good thrower (I use one, trust me). Literature claims 980 foot (about 300 meters) beam. I work night security at a golf resort (2- 18 hole courses), and the beam will light up pretty much anything I want. Spill beam is also pretty good, although this light is mainly a thrower.
3.) Length is listed as 8.75 inches long. slightly longer than the 8 inches you requested, but it is very lightweight.
4.) Large head on the light allows it to be carried on the belt with a Mag D belt ring or other flashlight holster.
5.) If you shine the hotspot of this light in someone's face, you will definitely blind them ... don't know about disorientation effects, though.
6.) priced at about $48 from on line retailers (Brightguy) or at about $55 from Sears.

One drawback for this light is the switch (reverse clicky- no momentary; side switch- no tactical rear switch).

Good luck on your quest, and welcome to CPF! :)

+1 on getting the Dorcy 220 lumen rechargeable LED flashlight. It easily illuminates objects over 200 yards away, and has very bright spill as well as a super concentrated beam. I believe it can be bought cheapest at Amazon.com for $40, although I bought mine at Sears for $50. It is model number 41-4299.

mrmonk7663

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I checked out all the lights. Some are more than I want to spend, although they look good. I'm hell bent on having 2 lights due to the nature of my job. Sometimes I will be in the brush alone for hours at a time, with my vehicle miles away...and the last thing I want is to be left stranded. From what I'm seeing and researching, it looks like the Dorcy 220 might be a good compromise light that will give a good beam and spill...so this would in essence be a backup light for me...reviews seem good, price is right, and the availability is good as well. So this is my choice for my EDC backup light. For my primary thrower I'm still wondering about the Tiablo A9 with the new aspherical head. Some of you might have already replied but since there is a delay from posting to seeing the message, I don't know, so if it has been addressed, my apologies. THANKS

N/Apower

Enlightened
Hello. I need some professional help here. I work in law enforcement on the border of the United States. I am looking for some help on light choice. I need a light that can throw very far...200+yards and illuminate a spot. I don't want a maglite style light as i want to comfortably carry it on my duty belt. I'm thinking around 8" long MAX or less would be ideal for size. I know that a light that will throw like i'm talking will not have very good spill for area illumination, and i'm ok with that. Honestly, I would like to purchase 2 lights, one with supreme throw, and another with good throw but also some area illumination. I need the light(s) to be able to disorient a single person and a light that can disorient a group of people (yes I understand I will most likely need too lights) I want to stay in the $100 or less price range...cheaper is better money wise but not to sacrifice light quality per se. Also, I would prefer the light(s) to be quite a bit brighter than any Surefire offerings currently available. I know I am in the LED forum but if you think you have an incan suggestion then let me know as well. I hope I have provided enough information. Please help if you can...you'll essentially be helping protect our nations security!!! Thanks and by the way I'm Michael and I'm new here and I have searched the hell out of the boards for the past few days but there is too much info for a newb to sort through.

One more thing...I was looking at the M20 OLIGHT and considering it, but honestly I have no clue. Thanks everyone.

Summary for light(s)

Light 1
LONG throw
Tight Spot
LED or INCAN
Able to temporarily blind and disorient
Over 200yds throw (more is much better)
8" overall or less...give or take

Light 2
Super Bright
Area illumination with descent throw and hotspot still
Able to temporarily blind and disorient a group of people
I would prefer this to be smaller than Light one if possible.

Light #2 would be a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff MC-E drop-in. Or if you want more blinding effect further out with less spill, an M60

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Tiablo A9 off an ebay seller for $70.00

It has the specs you are looking for.

And it is a real one, from an authorized seller with a Tiablo warranty.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I just got a Tiablo A9 off an ebay seller for $70.00

It has the specs you are looking for.

And it is a real one, from an authorized seller with a Tiablo warranty.

I'm not sure if this was directed at DX but mine is a geniune Tiablo. It's a discontinued light so get it wherever you can get it before it's no longer available.

As for you light number two, in your line of work, I would definitely make sure it had an automated SOS and strobe. Some people here make fun of them but in your line of work it could be a lifesaver.

Latest posts