Mag D lens

divelights

Newly Enlightened
I am a newbie and am modifying a Mag D to accept 3 MC-Es with the Polymer Optics 6 degree collimator lenses. My question is - do the collimator lenses need to be in contact with the main cover lens or is it OK if there is a small gap (less than 1 mm)?

It will be used as a dive light so I am not concerned about heat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, divelights.

As you are talking about a modification, I'll move your thread to the H&M section.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a newbie and am modifying a Mag D to accept 3 MC-Es with the Polymer Optics 6 degree collimator lenses. My question is - do the collimator lenses need to be in contact with the main cover lens or is it OK if there is a small gap (less than 1 mm)?

It will be used as a dive light so I am not concerned about heat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A small gap should not be a problem.

Make sure you have good thermal path from LEDs to flashlight case. Need to get that 30 watts of heat to the water or :poof:.

divelights

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that. Makes the overall design easier if tolerance does not have to be so tight.

I intend to screw 3 star mounted MCEs to a 4 mm thick aluminum plate, with thermal grease in between. Then will bond the 4 mm plate into the light head with some form of thermal glue/epoxy. Think this will be enough?

spencer

Enlightened
I think it does have to touch because the reflector holds the glass in place. Am I wrong? In a dive light it wouldn't be much good if the lens wasn't held in and water came in.

divelights

Newly Enlightened
No, the body of the light head holds the glass in place. You are right though, it wouldn't be good to have water coming in!!

I already have one light functioning with this glass setup and a halogen bulb so am pretty sure it works. My biggest concern was if a gap between the lens and the glass created some sort of optical distortion - not my area of expertise.

Thanks for the interest.

sailor612

Newly Enlightened
Can't wait to see the beam shots of 3 MC-E!! I'm doing a similar mod, only with 1 MC-E though...just waiting to place my parts order. I figured about 10W would be plenty for my type of diving...but I definalty wanna see that 30W once your done! Be sure to post pics throughout the mod!!

Who did you order your 6deg optic from?

Last edited:

Latest posts