Two Sgt. Burkett Mods, Cree XR-E Q3-5A McR20 + P7 DSX0J Ledil P7 Boom Reflector

Norm

Retired Administrator
Sgt. Burkett Modded with Cree XR-E Q3-5A and McR20

Since getting my Jet III M with 5A tint, I have really fallen in love with warm LEDs, I EDC a Sgt. Burkett so it had to be my next mod.The Sarge is an easy light to modify being built from the ground up as a modifiers light. The only real problem I found was that the McR20 is shorter than the standard reflector and my LED was also mounted on a thinner star so I needed to fill some space for the light to make contact with the baterry tube when screwed down.

I only have hand tools and need to make further refinements to the current set up. I started by shortening a battery spring and mounting it to the positive contact, but the battery tube was still too short to meet the head. I had some heavy copper wire on hand and formed the roundest ring I could (this wire is very hard) and then filed it to the right size so as the gap between the head and body wasn't too large.

I also had to enlarge the hole in the reflector and take a bit off the back of the reflector for proper focus. The hot spot is very bright with a minimum of cree ring evident around the hot spot.

I had been EDCing the Sgt. Burkett since they first came out but wasn't too keen on the Seoul tint. The light now throws further and still maintains good spill and the cree ring isn't noticable in real use.

The copper ring will be replace with a copper washer as soon as I can get to the local bolt store.

As a bonus the light no longer changes modes when it is taped on the tail, currently using a DX 20 mode driver, usually set to the most basic mode.

Sorry about the dust.

q35a.jpg
sgtinnerng6.jpg

Norm

:oops: Just realised this should have been posted in Homemade and Modified lights

Last edited:

bosh

Newly Enlightened
Re: Sgt. Burkett Modded with Cree XR-E Q3-5A and McR20

Nice light Norm and great mod!
I really like the Burkett, I'm going to buy one here pretty quick. Planning on making it a 3 mode, with High-Med-Low. Not sure what LED to put in. I have a Dereelight Q3 5A 3mode module on order for another light. Waiting to see how I like it before ordering for the Burkett.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Sgt. Burkett Modded with Cree XR-E Q3-5A and McR20

P7 DSX0J & Ledil P7 Boom Reflector

Just finished another Sgt. Burkett mod, P7 DSX0J & Ledil P7 Boom Reflector Medium, 19-degree driven at 1.5 Amps. This light is 100% flood no hot spot at all, capable of lighting up a large room. Gets fairly warm but not too hot to hold only 40 degrees C after 15 minutes. It drops 2 degrees when it is hand held.

LED and Reflector from Fred Phtonfanatic.

p7head.jpg
twins.jpg

p7beam.jpg
76706324.jpg

Both .5 Metre from the ceiling, both on auto, no donut on the P7.
I will try to update with some outside shots and also redo the existing shots using manual exposure settings, auto at the moment.

p7night.jpg
q3night.jpg

P7 first all flood, Notice how much brighter the foreground is. The Q3 5A obviosly lights the fence up with a bright hotspot and the P7 lights the scene a lot more evenly.
Camera setting fixed for both photos, 1.3 seconds at 2.8.
Just noticed that the white balance was on auto, I must remember to lock it on daylight next time.

p7nightbw.jpg
q3nightbw.jpg

I cut the colour depth back and it becomes more obvious were the bright spots are.

Last edited:

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great ingenuity on those Sgt. mods Norm :thumbsup:
It shows you don't have to have all the machinery in the world to have a little fun with your lights, Well done!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thanks orlac the Sgt. is a very versatile light, just ordered another one I have no idea what I will do with it but I'm sure I'll think of something. My idea of a perfect EDC was a Jet III pro ST but after carrying the q3 5A Sgt. multi mode for a couple of months I have no desire to replace it.
Norm

ichoderso

Enlightened
Hi Norm, I have the same light with P7 and tested it with all 3 Boom reflectors.
The use the medium too, because the best combination from flood and a bit throw.
But I was a bit disapointed fom the beam of this reflectors, there ar many artefacts in the beam and not nice on a white wall.
can you confirm this???
I use now a diffuser lens with great results, a bit more floody and a bit less bright, but nice homogen beam:)

Jens
btw. I use my P7 and MC-E (warm white:) in DD mode, around 3-3,5A with good fresh cells, can use it only for one or two minutes but extrem bright:D

Norm

Retired Administrator
Hi Jens my white wall shot looks OK as you see above there are a few shadows around the edge, in real life they are not as noticeable as the picture.

I think I prefer to run 1.5 Amps and be able to use the torch for longer, it still very impressive. I'd like to see the difference with yours running over 3 Amps.
Norm

ichoderso

Enlightened
I'd like to see the difference with yours running over 3 Amps.
Norm

if I have enough time, I will try to make some beamshots with different currents!
(I can regulat the curent with different batteries, I have a high current with good unprotect cells, and lower current (1,5-2A) with protected UF/TF cells, because the higher resistance from the protect circuity...

Jens