McLux Lens

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I know the stock lens of the McLux is a mineral glass lens and is available on Waynes' site. Are the lenses sold by the flashlightlens web site the same thing or are they made of some other materials?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
these are something else.

flashlightlens products are better, but you sacrifice cost, and in some cases thickness. for instance, popping a ucl into the mclux would result in a gap between the head a bezel.

flashlight lens sells ucl (~99% transmittence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif), which is durable, but extremely clear.
the borofloat is still much clear than than mag-type reflectors, and i think it is clearer than the mineral glass. it is more durable than both however, especially to thermal shock.
the new 270stuff is kind of in between the ucl and the borfloat, offering a good compromise of clarity and durability.
of course, all of these are better than most lenses used in most lights, but i don't really know the specifics of the mineral glass wayne uses.
that is how i understand things, but i am by no means an expert on the subject. much of it comes from memory (which i have never been famous for).

i don't know the thickness of each, but i do know that the ucl is thicher than the rest.

needless to say, all are very good products! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
but for me, i think i would use the borofloat, as the ucl would leave more of a gap.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thickness and coating tells me the UCL and/or B270 are not the same as what Wayne uses on the McLux. I believe Chris (Flashlightlens.com) entertained the idea of cutting down a UCL/B270/Bora if anyone had wanted; so best to get his and Wayne's input on the actual differences...