EOS seoul mod vs. New EOS Rebel

fishx65

Enlightened
I'm thinking of picking up the new EOS if it's a lot brighter then my current Seoul modded one. Anyone have both?

tnuckels

Enlightened
That might be a hard combo to come up with for comparison.

??? CPF TO THE RESCUE ???

It seems someone a while back quoted the different current rates for an older EOS (High, Medium, Low) they had modded, though I'm having trouble finding it now. If you can come up with that info, or measure your own, you could use the Flux Charts to back calculate a close approximation of the amount of light your mod should be getting and compare that to the specs on the new one. I know it's a trip around your rear-end to get to your elbow, but it should work for an on paper comparison.

That, or carry your old one down to the B&M store to do an on site comparison.

Some have complained of the "hazy" light put out by the new heavily frosted optic. As a single, do-it-all beam I like mine, but tastes will vary.

Good Luck!

da.gee

Enlightened
It's close but I think the modded one is brighter. The beam pattern makes it hard to tell. The newer frosted lens really mushes the hot spot and spill is about half the Seoul modded and squarish. You see no rings as you do with a Seoul modded and original reflector. The tint on mine differ greatly as well. My modded version is much more neutral white. The newer EOS is a tad greenish.

For close up work the mushy beam of the newer EOS is great not that the other is bad. Just whiter, ringier and less uniform. YMMV.

tnuckels

Enlightened
Lucky YOU! fishx65, finding someone with the exact lights in question.

Hooray for the sock puppe … err, um, dang, new avatar … dancing, green, Wild Thingy, da.gee.

fishx65

Enlightened
Thanks boys! I've got a rotating diffuser on mine so I don't see any reason to get the new one.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can mod one with a reflector instead of the optic, it will blow the new one away... I got one modded with a OP reflector and still using the stock Lux ( not for long) and the beam is perfect...

Edwood

Enlightened
I much prefer my modded EOS for close up work. ;)

Edwood_HiCRINichia083_PT_EOS_02.jpg

-Ed

fishx65

Enlightened
To lazy to figure out how to post pics but if someone PMs me there e-mail I can send pics of the rotating diffuser which they can post. The diffuser came off one of those 1aa rayovacs and fits the EOS perfect.

tnuckels

Enlightened
PM sent.

EDIT: And pictures received ...

2388410EOS1.jpg

2388411EOS2.jpg

2388412EOS3.jpg

Sweet! It's like pulling Peter's legs off so that Paul can run faster. Great Mod!

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
Thanks T! Sorry about the blurry pics. For those wondering, I just super glued this diffuser on! It has withstood lots of abuse over the last year during my constant hunting and fishing adventures. I'm sure some on here could figure out a much better way to attach it. It's well worth the mod and I'm constantly using the diffuser.

dilbert

Enlightened
The sliding diffuser is my favorite thing about my Petzl Tactikka XP. That diffuser mod takes the best aspects of the Tactikka XP (moving diffuser) and puts it on the EOS with its brighter LED and regulation. It'll be a great headlamp for getting everything ready for blast off at early morning bass tournaments. :twothumbs

I have been looking for one of those rayovac headlamps for a while, now I have another reason to find one. Is this the headlamp you got the diffuser from?

fishx65

Enlightened
The sliding diffuser is my favorite thing about my Petzl Tactikka XP. That diffuser mod takes the best aspects of the Tactikka XP (moving diffuser) and puts it on the EOS with its brighter LED and regulation. It'll be a great headlamp for getting everything ready for blast off at early morning bass tournaments. :twothumbs

I have been looking for one of those rayovac headlamps for a while, now I have another reason to find one. Is this the headlamp you got the diffuser from?

Yes, that is the one. Walmart had them on clearence at one point for around $7.00. Wish I would have picked up a few more. $20.00 is a little steep for a diffuser! The Rayovac is a cool little 1aa headlamp but I couldn't handle cycling through all the modes everytime. I pulled the diffuser and gave the headlamp away.
Heading out the door in about an hour to go catch some Northern Michigan Steelhead/Rainbow Trout!!!!!:grin2: