HELP with DBS contact problem!!

mcbsteve

Newly Enlightened
I am so frustrated,

I just bought the MC-E upgrade for my DBS V3. I inserted the fully charged batteries and... nothing, no light. I tried the troubleshooting and found that when I connect the batteries to the pill and use a wire to connect the negative to the metal on the head IT WORKS.

But when I connect even the first body part and then try the light with the wire on the negative..... Nothing again.

I have cleaned everything that resembles (to me) a contact but still nothing..... PLEASE HELP!

Any ideas?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there, is this a 2.4A pill purchased directly from Dereelight? I'll try to help you figure it out. First, does the original pill that came with your light work ok in it? If so, we can probably rule out contact issues within the flashlight body itself. If this is the case, the MC-E pill may have a cold solder joint on the outside bottom edge of the pill, and when the pill is installed the pressure opens the joint. If you have a soldering iron, you can try to reflow the three solder points you can see on the pill.

You can try this too, if you haven't already. The DBS V3 comes with a brass ring in the parts bag, insert the brass ring around the pill when installing the bezel/reflector/pill assembly onto the flashlight's body. (Or you can insert it into the front end of the body first. This may eliminate a contact problem between the MC-E pill and flashlight body.

Let me know what you find out, and we can go from there.

mcbsteve

Newly Enlightened
Thanks FlashCrazy,

My original pill (R2) doesn't work either unless I connect the batteries directly to the pill and wire from the negative.

I checked the solder points and they all appear fine.

It appears the light stops working at the point of connecting the first body part to the bezel.

I've tried it with and without the brass ring also.

So frustrated.... thanks for the help. I have read good things about you're CS.

Steve

mcbsteve

Newly Enlightened
yeah... I don't know enough about lights.

I did oil the threads when I installed the MC-E pill. I have since cleaned everywhere I can see with rubbing alcohol.

The pill works though when connected directly to batteries without the body or switch.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What happens without the switch and using a paper clip to the body to make the connection?

mcbsteve

Newly Enlightened
still nothing happens.

It seems the problem is the connection with the pill (head) and the body. As soon as I connect the first body (tube) I can't get light even with wire or paper clip.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the pill screw into the reflector and then makes contact with the body?

If so, try backing out the pill to make contact with the body. I am going off of this picture.
dsc06676yu9.jpg

mcbsteve

Newly Enlightened
it doesn't seem like the pill makes contact with the body. When I removed the old pill it was really stuck in there. Now both pills seem loose. I tried backing it out but there isn't much room to do that and it didn't help.

Last edited:

mcbsteve

Newly Enlightened
I contacted Dereelight after realizing I had the main battery tube in backwards... I know....... stupid. Anyway, Dereelight has EXCELENT customer service and when I had a problem they immediately sent me replacement parts. Great company to buy from!!!!