Congratulations to Brock - SETI @ home milestone

Brock

Flashaholic
Woohoo, that was my goal. Now should I switch over to folding or http://www.grid.org the small pox one?

Saunterer please by all means join us. You always keep your own personal stats, it just adds you numbers to teh CPF count.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
Cool. BTW, congrats on the 10K.

If the firewall restrictions weren't so tough here at work, I'd hit that in a year easily. Guess sometimes work and play don't mix well.

--Chris

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Restarted SETI@home a couple of weeks ago. Must either be running a lot of stuff unseen on the computer or the SETI work-units got larger,,,I used to average 11+ hours per work-unit but now it's taking around 48 hours pwe work-unit.

Changed group to CPF today.

Brock

Flashaholic
It is one of those programs where data is collected on a central system, then parts of that data is sent out to personal computer all over and the results are sent back. SETI basically has each computer looking at signals from a telescope to look for intelligent signals. Folding is looking for genetic protein that cures different diseases, and grid is working on computer simulations of smallpox cures.

The programs run in the background on most computers, so if you computer is not doing work, it works on those projects. SETI comes as a screen saver, but can be run all the time if you want.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
so it takes a bunch of computers, and uses their power to do calculations and such while you're not busy with them?
kind of like a huge spread-out supercomputer?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I believe it's called "distributed computing".

BTW, If you're using SETI@home, feel free to use my avatar if you want to id yourself as a SETI@home user. It is just an enlargement of the the SETI@home Windows icon.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sounds pretty cool...

are there any security issue involved?
one would expect conspiracy theorists to love this!
can you imagine the government could be doing through this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
sounds like a sci-fi movie is in order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
LOL, well the seti packets are coming from the computer at some Univ. Maybe we are really tracking cell phone call for the CIA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roy my icon is blue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am running seti driver. It is basically the same thing, but it caches work units up. It is great for my laptop. I can run seti and don't have to worry about connecting or being on line. I have the laptop set for 12 units, once it is done with one it just starts the next one, then once you go online it sends in all the results and gets new ones. It is also great if the SETI site goes down, you can still keep working on data.

Roy, if your running any virus scanners they usually make SETI think your computer is busy, so it won't work on any packets, or at least it slows down the process a lot.

With setidriver I can force seti in to "high priority" mode, I can run a packet in about 4 hours as opposed to the typical 5 on my 2 gig machine, but man it slows the computer down a lot. I tend to just leave them all set in low priority so it doesn't interfer with anything I would do on the computer.

For the record I have it running on my home 2 gig, home 1.7 laptop, and this old 650 here at work.