what bulb options are available for these maglite?

97guns

Newly Enlightened
im a newbie and have 2 maglites both are 2D that im getting my pants wet in modding - just drop in stuff. i bought a rop bulb set and plan to run the high bulb with 6X enloops. i also have a bunch of cr123's that id like to run, ive made up a holder for 3 cells but im not sure what bulbs i can run.

please list the bulbs i can use with these setups, im intersted in incadescent or led - please list the output as well if you know it.

mag 2D w/the 6AA setup

mag 2D w/ the 3cr123 setup

and a possible mag 6D with just alkalines.

thanks in advance for any info.

97guns

Newly Enlightened
ive actually read through that thread several times but its a little vague in reguards to what i can run with my intended setups. im assuming that the direct drop in bulbs are for oem reccomended power options, what if i run those terralux, etc drop ins with my intended power?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the Terralux, malkoff, and other maglite dropins are intended for standard maglite battery configurations, which max out at 9 volts (I guess) for a 6 cell maglite. You could try one of these:
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2...s_id=1&zenid=7g261ie4o8drmi6g5sj4vmknh78t22gi
as long as you do not exceed 9 volts.
Since 1 c or d cell is about 1.5 volts, then you can figure out how many volts these dropins need to function based on what maglite they are intended for, or you could try to see if manufacterers list the voltage ranges.

Marduke

Flashaholic
ive actually read through that thread several times but its a little vague in reguards to what i can run with my intended setups. im assuming that the direct drop in bulbs are for oem reccomended power options, what if i run those terralux, etc drop ins with my intended power?

Well, it's not hard to look at the power setup listed, and compare to what you want to do.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Alkalines(even D cells) don't do well at all even with the ROP low, so look at rechargeable batteries like your Eneloops.

Both of your battery setups max at around 9v so the drop-ins that say up to 6 cells(1.5v cells) or up to 9v or more should all work.

If you want to have the ROP high, make sure you get a metal reflector and glass window. The stock parts can't handle the heat. Even the stock tower might melt after extended use.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Xenon bulb probably, MagLED drop-in, no.

The Terralux one is probably a better choice then the MagLED ones, brighter, and also works for the 5D(the Malkoff would be even better, it actually has a good heatsink).

mfranke

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Gunner 12 regarding the TerraLUX. The tri-LED is quite bright, and reasonably priced.

It is not, however, focus-capable, if that's a concern. On the other hand, it's great for large amounts of white light.

I've used one in my 4D for some time, and have sold several to Mag Charger owners with good feedback.

Mine throws well, although not as tight a pattern as a single-element with a good reflector. My Streamlight Survivor LED is still the champ for that job.

I'm also seeking some options for a 2D Mag that I've had forever.