Re: Flashlight Shootout Tri-Pod Question

Richie086

Enlightened

Hi folks,

I'm hoping this is the correct place to post this.

I've noticed the more experienced members that post all these wonderful flashlight shootout photos use tripods. The photos I've seen also show some type of flat shelf installed on top of the tripod to lay a flashlight or spotlight down on it so a photo can be taken of the beam.

Is this shelf system something purchased or are they made by the poster doing the shootout. I'd love to have one for my tripod so I can post similar photos of my growing HID and LED flashlight collection. Thanks.

CR123_CR123_CR123

Newly Enlightened

Hi:

They might be using a aluminum projector platform by Manfrotto.
The platform is attached to a tripod and originally meant to hold
a 35mm slide projector.

Google "Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging 183 Aluminum Projector Platform"

If you already have a tripod, you could probably build a functional
one with stuff from your local hardware store.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Im using a clamp system that i mounted to my tripod. It is originally to hold rifles in a car or atv etc.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast

That 35mm slide projecter shelf from Bogen/Manfrotto is pretty pricey. A cheaper alternative would be just a piece of plywood with a 1/4-20 Tee nut socket in it. They have both the screw on and hammer in style sockets in the "assorted hardware" bins of most Lowes and Home Depot stores.

Personally, since most of my lights are relatively small round bodied ones, I use a drill press V-block from Harbor Freight. I just drilled and tapped a 1/4-20 hole in the bottom to attach it to the tripod. And I run a bungee cord through the bolt slots to hold the light in the V securely.

Last edited:

Richie086

Enlightened

That 35mm slide projecter shelf from Bogen/Manfrotto is pretty pricey. A cheaper alternative would be just a piece of plywood with a 1/4-20 Tee nut socket in it. They have both the screw on and hammer in style sockets in the "assorted hardware" bins of most Lowes and Home Depot stores.

Hi Don,

Yep, the best price on the projector shelf is about $40.00. A bit expensive so I've held off purchasing it. However, I love your suggestion and wasn't aware there was a tee nut socket that fits a tri-pod mount. So your suggestion is the one I'm going with. Thank you :thumbsup:

Thanks to all who reponded:)

Richie086

Enlightened

Hi folks,

Just wanted to show what I came up with for my photo shoots thanks to all of you. I found the 1/4-20 tee nut sockets at Home Depot that Don pointed me to and was able to build the following Tri-pod shelves. I actually got to use them recently when I reviewed the Oracle 35W HID on another thread. It made taking outdoor photos so much easier for the times I didn't have anyone around to give me a hand.

Also, I've had numerous PM's from CPF members regarding some of the photos I've been posting in my reviews and how I've been doing it. I've been using a Cannon PowerShot SX-110 IS digital camera and always have it mounted on a tripod. Even though the "steady-shot" feature is excellent, nothing beats a steady tripod.

Some of the other photos I've posted of my LED and HID flashlights were taken with the flashlight inside a "Photo Cube" lit externally. My wall size white cotton 10' x 20' muslin is used to photograph some life size movie and TV prop replicas I also build. I'm not a professional photographer, only someone that tries to make the most of what he's got to work with. Anyway, below is the basics of my setup.

smoothshelf.jpg

This is my smooth version. The large florescent lights in the
background are 6400k @ 105w each.

nonroll.jpg

This one was made from a piece of Tongue & Groove I had. It'll be used
for flashlights that have a tendency to want to roll and smash on the ground.
But not with this baby :thumbsup:

tent.jpg

Some of my photography equipment. I didn't have my 10' x 20' white
muslin background setup during this shot. The smaller florescent light
in the foreground is 6400k @ 35w for lighting a subject or prop from
behind.

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened

I'm glade this topic was brought up. It got me thinking. Here's a couple of photos for my prototype for cylindrical lights. Its basically a 3.5 inch square with a .25 inch nut embedded in the bottom. It's real rough as you can. I had to make do with what I had, but tomorrow has a trip to the hardware store for me to find more ideal hardware.
light.tripod.adapter.1.JPG

light.tripod.adapter.2.JPG

DM51

Flashaholic

Some great thinking here. I wish I'd thought of the idea of mounting a board to a tripod with a nut like that.

I've been using a board as described below lol, not on a tripod but placed on my car's tailboard or other flat surface, and adjusted with wedges etc to aim it. A tripod mount is a much better idea.

One problem with comparison shots is trying to make sure the lights are all pointing at exactly the same spot in each successive photo. I decided I needed a solid cradle, similar in concept to a shooter's bench-rest, to hold the lights.

Mrs DM51 very kindly made an involuntary donation of a redundant chopping board for this purpose. When I realised the tremendous scientific (non-culinary) potential of this chopping board, I pointed out to her at some length that it had lethally unhygienic cracks in it, suggesting that from now on she should instead use one of her other boards, as they looked very much less conducive to salmonella, botulism, or other alarming and gruesome gastro-intestinal afflictions. Anyway, she has not said anything so far about the board going missing, and with a bit of luck she won't notice.

I glued a 45° wedge to it, and a right-angle join from a box to that, to act as a channel to lay the lights in. This is the result:

M6R-Cradle.jpg

Anchored firmly in place, it ensures each light points at the same spot.

Richie086

Enlightened

Hi there Jamison and DM51,

I love the fact how we each took different routes to accomplish the same task and what each person came up with. I love all of the results here.

Jamison, if you really think your tripod shelf is rough, feel free to mail it to me and I'd be happy to use it. Great job :thumbsup:

DM51, I think your creation is about as secure as one can get for holding a cylindrical flashlight totally secure. It's very original and I'm sure others will want to create one as well. Here I thought the second version of the shelf I made would stop a flashlight from rolling off to the floor, but yours is the ultimate. :thumbsup:

This is why I love this forum the way I do. Thank you both for adding your knowledge to this thread:twothumbs

JamisonM

Enlightened

Since making the first one I posted above, I wasn't really happy with it and I've been wanted better it. I've tinkered off and on since then (a fight the whole way) and think I've come up with something that works. DM51, I hope you don't mind that I borrowed elements from yours. Well, here it is.

light.holder.1.JPG

light.holder.2.JPG

light.holder.3.JPG