Maglite 2D Recomendations

surt

Newly Enlightened
I've been lurking here for awhile. Great forum. I'm newbie to this stuff so excuse me if I ask any stupid questions. Anyway, I have a 2D maglite that I want to upgrade to LED. I've sifted through threads, flashlightreviews, and a couple different retail sites. All that really did was overwhelm me with choices and info I really didn't fully understand.

If you guys would give me a few ideas that would be great.

I'm not all that skilled so something on a beginner's level for installation would be preferred. I want a fairly bright light, brighter than the stock incandescent. Battery life doesn't have to be great. As for cost, I don't want to break the bank for a maglite mod. Thanks for any help.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Did you check this thread? Look in he drop-ins. Those require minimal work. Most are just like changing a bulb. The more in depth one like the Malkoffs are a bit more complex but are still very easy to install, no soldering needed since it is supposed to "drop right in".

:welcome:

UpChUcK

Enlightened
There are so many choices, that you are right. Please do refer to the links mentioned above.

The Terralux drop-in for $20 is a great way to start. If you want higher quality and output, check out Malkoffs for $50. Or, if you see a Maglite's own MagLED upgrade, in the stores, you can try that too (~$15-20). Just be aware that there are better options but it is an improvement over the incan bulb.

Good luck!

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
As stated above the new Rebel 2D Maglite is about $27 from Academy and it is far superior to the Maglite brand LED dropins that cost about
$19/each. A Malkoff drop-in is next, and it is even better but costs about $60 and is worth every penny, but I don't know if thats considered "breaking the bank". Your 2D Maglite is worth about 13 bucks so I would think leaving it "as is" and buying the new Rebel LED Maglite would be your best bet unless you want to splurge and get a Malkoff.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
I started with a 3D terralux LED drop-in before this latest upgrade, which was a big improvement over the stock incan light. You might as well skip some steps, and go directly to this setup:

2D Maglite Quad-Bored ($35.00 + shipping). This is so the fivemega 8xAA to 2xD adapter fits in your maglite.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156080

fivemega 8xAA to 2D adapter ($37 + Boro lens $6.50 + shipping). This allows you to use AA cells, rechargable, or primaries
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198633

Malkoff D Size P7 Drop-in to fit Mag-Lite ($135 + shipping). I just got mine, but have read countless thread raving about quality, and reliability of his work.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=27

I don't know if this is breaking the bank, perhaps so. This light should be seriously bright, with a floody wide beam in a small (for maglite) package. I slot my 9AA to 3D adapter with Energizer Lithium (L91) batteries, and it's definitely lighter then 3 alkaline D's. Hope this helps. I'm new also, but have been lurking since the SF UB2 was announced, and then vaporized. Ended up upgrading the mag instead.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend buying a whole new 2D MagLED (the one with the Rebel LED) rather than the MagLED Luxeon drop-in, which is much dimmer.
+1 It's about as cost effective an option as there is to get brighter while still being simple. You'll still have the current 2D later to use as a host when you've stuck around here too long and want to try something more extreme. :D

Latest posts