SF 6P options

Flipside

Enlightened
Need some suggestions for taking the plunge with a Surefire 6P. My only other experience with SF products is with their M6. The 6P is obviously a different animal...

I'm looking at these options:
  1. Buy a Plain Jane 6P and upgrade it with a drop in LED
  2. Buy a 6PD and add upgrade it with a drop in LED
  3. Buy a 6PDL and call it good
I understand the 'D' versions are the DEFENDER style which adds a gnarly bezel, and a clicky tail switch. That's all well and good until I pocket the thing. Will the teeth cut pockets / flesh? Is the clicky a good thing, or a handicap - like they're prone to failure? (I have read about current limitations on the Z59)

Overall, I'm looking to go LED for product life, both in terms of battery life and there's no filament to break in a LED. Is there anything negative about the SF module that another makers drop in is worth the extra coin, or is it just that other stuff (like a Malkoff) is newer technology?

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Though they are not really sharp, the teeth on the defender bezels have been known to eat through pockets over time. They will not cut flesh unless you hit someone really hard with them.

Based on my own personal experience I think the Surefire clicky switches are quite reliable but the Surefire twisty switches are even more reliable.

There have been many threads comparing the P60L to Malkoff dropins. Here are a few:

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I bought the 6PL, upgraded to an R2 drop-in, and added a new head with a stainless steel strike bezel. It was more fun than just buying the 6PDL. Plus it is way brighter and throws significantly further. I used the 6P's P60L LED module on a yellow G2 incan, so bonus! :twothumbs

Good luck!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Flipside!

I would suggest as far as a drop-in you definitely go for a Malkoff M60L or M60WL. Thats 120+/- lumens for 4.5 hours regulated then diminishing output. I don't think there is an overall better well-rounded option out there - it rocks. I think the Malkoffs warrant the extra coin over the less expensive drop-ins.

As far as your host - I suggest you try to pick the up the parts or a host over on marketplace. I think you could get a 6P host (with twist-on tail) for somewhere between $45-60 which is pretty good. You also might be able to trade something for it and save yourself even more.

As far as the tail, I think the newer surefire clickies are reliable and the only ones I ever heard had issues (as well as my own) were the E series clickies. I think it just comes down to personal preference for you.

On strike bezels, I find for my usage they are just a pain in the *** - if I run into trouble, I'm off sprinting in the other direction...

Again, check out the marketplace - you can get a great deal on a 6P host or if you have the patience, finding good deals on the pieces separately - and definitely go for the Malkoff (if you are unhappy you can easily enough sell it for only a few $ lost).

Good luck!

Last edited:

crocodilo

Enlightened
I have two modded/legoed 6P:

6PL body, 6PD head and bezel, Z59 clicky switch, Malkoff M60L, AW rechargeables

6P old-school round body, 6PL head and bezel, Z41 tailcap with the McC2S dual-mode guts (30 ohm), Malkoff M60F, AW rechargeables

Really can't make up my mind which one I like best...

Last edited:

Akubra

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Malkoff! Get an incan 6P, and one of the Malkoff drop in`s, and be happy! :)

nohcho

Newly Enlightened
Or you can get, here on CPF marketplace, 6p bezel, 6 p tail and 18650 bored body + malkoff M30, and you'll have one helluva light.