First post after tons of reading :)

HexCore

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,

I'd like to introduce myself, after hours of reading this forum.
I found this forum a while ago from a french forum, salut les connaisseurs :wave:
I've always loved having (and using) flash-lights. I use them during treks in the french Alps, where it has to be the lightest possible, in the nature (camping in the wild, where it has to be the brightest) and in the everyday life.

I currently own :
- a few petzl headlamps :shakehead
- a fenix L2P (my first revelation :party:)
- a Romisen MXDL RC-G2 (very bright, but stops working after a few minutes :( )
- a Zebralight H50-Q5 (should arrive in a day or two)

I plan on buying :
- a good quality thrower 2XRC123A (I'm currently hesitating between olight M20 and Jetbeam JET-III Pro ST, any advices welcomed)
- a small light for my EDC (Nitecore Extreme or EX10, something like that, don't know yet)
- some cheap lights at DX/KD

Well, thanks a lot for all the information lovecpf
Cya, HexCore.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, HexCore. Glad you decided to join us in this crazy quest. Sounds like you have made a good start. I hope you enjoy the Zebralight as much as I do. Don't forget to consider the LiteFlux LF3XT in the small EDC class.

Geoff

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I plan on buying :
- a good quality thrower 2XRC123A (I'm currently hesitating between olight M20 and Jetbeam JET-III Pro ST, any advices welcomed)
- a small light for my EDC (Nitecore Extreme or EX10, something like that, don't know yet)

:welcome:

Reviewing your choices in order:

- Although it's a good idea to have a semi-thrower on a trek, you should keep battery compatibility in mind; Since everything else you're carrying (GPS, radio, headlamps, etc) is most likely powered by AAs, you should also consider an AA primary flashlight. Since you seem set on multi-mode lights with lots of options, the JetBeam Jet I EX (2xAA format, for extra runtime) might be worth looking into, see it here: http://www.neolumen.eu/products/jet/JETIPROEX.htm

- For an EDC light, small size is key and battery compatibility isn't an issue, so this is where the 123 cells come in. Either of the Nitecores you listed is a solid option, and don't forget the many-multi-modes of the JetBeams.

- As for a cheap light, you've already got a Romisen that illustrates nicely what you can expect from a subpar budget light. Skip the cheap stuff and just get one or two serious lights, you'll be much happier.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are some decent lights at DX, but beware that after a few quality lights, like the Nightcores, your expectations will rise and you may not be happy with the cheapies anymore.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan on buying :
Good 2xRCR123 thrower - I recommend Surefire E2D Led. You can look for Jetbeam III Pro ST on ebay, take note it's bigger than it looks. I don't have M20, so can't comment on it. :duh2:

EX10's small and versatile :thumbsup: Too many great small lights to choose from, need to state your wants and needs. Other random recommendations are Dereelight C2H, Ra Clicky, NDI, Surefire E1B, Liteflux Lf3XT etc...:thinking:

Hmmm.... I wouldn't bother unless many owners recommend certain particular models or you want to try out modding yourself. :shrug:

Gunner12

Flashaholic

The Olight M20 should be a pretty good thrower. Also look a the Dereelight DBS for more throw. The Tiablo A10 is also a good choice but it pushed RCR123s a bit hard.

EDC, there are a lot of choices. AA or CR123? Look at Fenix, Nitecore(as you have already), Olight, Liteflux, Novatac, RA lights, Jetbeam, iTP, Liteflux, and a few others.

For DX/KD lights, read reviews both here and there then judge what is best quality and price wise before buying.

HexCore

Newly Enlightened
Hi all :)

SOrry I missed your posts :(

@Kilovolt : I'm from Lyon, not so far from Italy :)

@all : thanks for the answer, I think I'll buy the m20, the dbs is a bit too expensive yet. I keep reading your posts and try to participate as much as I can (means not so much yet :/)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're plan on buying list will grow and grow until either you're significant other or your wallet stops you.

Good luck with the addiction. Sadly, they haven't opened an FA yet. Flashlight anonymous :(

Latest posts