Newbie: Help Needed.

smarks2327

Newly Enlightened
I need flashlight recommendations to be used at an orphanage for HIV positive children in Honduras. The flash lights are to be used by the security guards. (Apparently they are ripping through batteries with their current models).

The flash lights need to be bright and fairly large, very efficient (If something such as solar or rechargeable is an option- even better. However, they need to last through the night), and fairly cost effective.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are going to Honduras in late March.

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
I think you're best off with a Fenix L2D CE.

I runs from standard AA batteries, widely available, and cheap. Also available in rechargeable.

You can choose between different modes, a low beam that last up to 55 hrs, or a medium beam that lasts about 10 hours, or a high beam (still lasting 4 hours).
When you need an extremely bright beam, you may switch over to Turbo-mode, then you'll have a 135 Lumen beam for more than 2 hours.

As it has a LED, it never breaks down. No more bulb-changes!

Here you can find more info on this lamp:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=195

Whatever you do, make sure you buy a light that uses STANDARD AA batteries! CR123A may be very hard to find in those countries. Penlight (AA) batteries are available worldwide. These are the most common batteries.

Timmo.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Bogolight might work.

I'd suggest a simple 2AA to 2D LED light. I'm not sure if there are any durable LED lights with the current gen LEDs for C or D batteries.

What price would you prefer?
How much output?
What is a good size?

:welcome:

jankj

Enlightened
According to specifications, I think bogo lights are well suited for most of the close quarter tasks that most people actually USE a flashlight for - but they are probably far to dim for a security guard.

From their web site:

The SL-2 Super BOGO light is intended to be a rugged, long life, solar rechargeable light whose primary purpose is for kerosene lantern replacement and task lighting in "developing world" applications. It's design brief was to provide wide angle illumination with more usable light than a kerosene "bottle lantern", for use in rooms up to 4 x 4 meters or as a study or work lamp over a table, while also providing a bright directional "task light" beam for when more directed light is required.

I'm not sure if there are any durable LED lights with the current gen LEDs for C or D batteries.

Maglite with a drop-in. :thinking: The security guards may or may not have a few of those already.

I support the recommendation of getting good quality, AA based flashlight. There are probably a ton of different lights in this range that will work... . If fenix is too expensive, have a look at Romisen.

And - run them on rechargeable nihm.

325addict

Enlightened
I just read that the light must be big! Then, a MagLED 2D or 3D (the 3D seems to be the brightest of them all - brighter than a 4D!) comes around.

This one will last for about 40 hours or so, it just keeps on going and going.... and runs from relatively standard D-cells.

When needed, a security guy can use it for slamming someone on the head too :green:
or on someones knees of course :green: :green: :green:

Timmo.

jankj

Enlightened
I just read that the light must be big! Then, a MagLED 2D or 3D

Great idea! I would feel more confident with original maglite stuff to work in that kind of environment. If they're bright enough, that is...

Still - I would consider using rechargeable nimh batteries. If size "D" rechargeables are to inconvenient or expensive, try getting a AA to D converter (basically a tube to make a small AA fit in the space of a big D battery). The magled should still last the night. And - having a setup where you depleete the batteries during the night and charge them during the day is probably just about perfect. It is easier to remember that the batteries should be charged EVERY day, not every 4th day.

But - I do question the OP's criteria that the light has to be big. Why? There are other tools (i.e. weapons) if you need to hit someone. These days, a smaller light can be a good compromise between runtime and light power.

That being said, small size is definetively not an important criteria here. 3D magleds are probably a very robust alternative with good runtime and acceptable light output.