Looking for a good science magazine/journal

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
Is there anyone here that are/were subscribers to "Science News"?

I used to love the weekly magazine, which was chock full of interesting articles on new research and developments. About a year ago, in a plan to expand it's readership, they hired some new editors and changed the format to appeal to a broader audience (in the hopes of increasing sales/subscriptions).

I despise the new bi-monthly format. The old magazine was written above a mass market level, and was very readable even if you don't have a Ph.D. I really enjoyed reading about the latest research from all facets of the science world. I don't care that they changed their printing schedule to save postage/paper costs, but what's with the advertisements for books on sex positions, $20 watches, and 100% genuine rhinestones? Now there's too many articles on dating and the habits of those who play video games.

There is far less content, and they've filled the pages with oversized pictures to make it look like you're getting more. The current issue has an article on evolution with a peacock picture that is the size of the entire page; the page before is an ad for a medical alarm for seniors from some fly-by-night outfit. It's like charging a $1 more for a carton of ice cream and giving you a 1-1/2 quarts instead of two.

Ugh... They turned a quality magazine with journalistic integrity into a grocery store checkout-aisle rag. It's embarassingly bad now, and I won't be resubscribing.

So I'm looking for something with a little more meat to it than Discovery or Omni, and thought some of you who frequent these forums would have a good suggestion.

meuge

Enlightened
You can always try reading Science or Nature. You may not be able to read the articles, but you can take in a lot of info from the abstracts.

Otherwise, aside from Popular Science, you're SOL. There's only 2 kinds of science left in the US - newspaper science (represented all the way at the top by Discovery channel... who at least tries not to be a rag), and real science, that is now segregated away into the necessary, but hated and feared corner of society.

We used to have parades for astronauts you know... and young people were told that it's a great honor to become a "rocket scientist". Now all the young people want to be "Fitty".

I want them to get off my lawn... and I'm 27...

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried "New Scientist"? It's quite well respected among the science community.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
SciAm went that way many years go.
Something that reminds me of Science News is Science Daily. It should be named "Science several times daily."
While it is not exactly the same Gizmag is worth getting an email subscription to.

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips guys, I do like New Scientist's weekly email newsletter, although I've heard the same complaints about the new Science News format also said about New Scientist... but it wouldn't kill me to try it for a year.

Science and Nature I'll have to check out. lovecpf