iTunes Plus 256kbps DRM-free AAC files now standard on iTunes

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about titling this thread with something more general, to invite discussion of those into vinyl or lossless file formats, but I like the iTunes plus title better, and I figured others would chime in saying how awful digital is and how great vinyl is--and that's cool! Bring it on! And I'm going to talk about more than just 256kbps AAC files and their sound quality.

So, to start, let me just say that I think it's a very welcome and positive direction for downloadable/net purchased music that Apple's iTunes store has switched from 128kbps AAC files with DRM limitations (DRM=digital rights management, mostly in the form of burn limits and limits on sharing), to higher quality 256kbps AAC files with no DRM, no burn limits, no sharing limits. I never expected this would happen so fast.

Back tracking, let me mention that I just recently purchased both a Macbook Pro (pre-Oct 08 model, non-unibody) and a 16GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch. Or actually the iPod was a gift. Anyway, point is that I was worried about sound quality and space limitations and was unsure if 256kbps AAC files would be good enough for me, but didn't want to use the ALAC lossless format and really limit the amount of music I could keep on my iPod.

I initially had a problem with the DAC in the MBP, which, frankly, pretty much sucks, so I ended up buying a used Apogee Duet, which is a firewire DAC, and also a ADC with instrument and mic inputs and headphone and powered speaker line- outputs. That thing is magic--incredible--don't let anyone tell you the DAC doesn't matter. It really does. The DAC in the touch is a definite step up--or I should say the DAC plus headphone amp circuit--from the DAC/amp circuit in the MBP, but nowhere near as good as the one in the Duet.

In the process of dealing with all of this and experimenting, I ended up doing back and forth comparison listening with linear digital files--no compression--and the 256kbps AAC. I can barely tell the difference between the 256kbps and the linear. If I listen carefully to certain sections of music, I can hear a difference way up high, with the decay of cymbals and what not, but overall, the 256kbps AAC files are very, very good. And I do NOT have a tin ear. As a pianist, a piano tuner, an audiophile, and a music lover I have some amount of discernment and listening experience, and the 256kbps AAC files are, in my opinion, very very close to as good as lossless or linear, but take up a fraction of the storage space. And if you think about it, music isn't just random information! It's a wave. And human hearing isn't equally sensitive across the frequency spectrum either. So, the Advanced Audio Coding format takes advantage of these facts to reduce the size of the files, while largely maintaining the sound quality.

On various forums, headfi among them, and in the internet in general, you will find the attitude that no "true" audiophile would settle for anything less than linear of lossless, and maybe they're right--maybe I'm not a "true" audiophile--but to my ears, there's a MUCH bigger gain to be made in the DAC, headphone amp & headphones end of things, than in using lossless vs. 256kbps AAC. You have to have very good equipment to even notice the loss of fidelity in going from lossless to 256kbps AAC, in my opinion. In fact, I can't tell the difference when listening to my touch with Sennheiser PX100 headphones. I have to go to my MBP-->Duet-->Grado SR225's to hear it.

And I can carry SO much more music in 16GB using the iTunes Plus 256kbps AAC encoding than lossless. So far I have almost always purchased CD's and ripped them into my library in the 256kbps AAC format because I did NOT want to be restricted to the 128kbps AAC files sold on iTunes. Those just aren't good enough. They're not bad, but I believe it's not hard to tell that you're losing fidelity with those. Not much, to be sure, but definitely some. So, I never really wanted to buy directly from iTunes.

But now, I think I'll be buying more music directly from the internet, skipping over the CD entirely. I still like to have the liner notes and all that, though, so I'll probably still buy a lot of CD's, but the change over to the higher fidelity AAC files and the removal of the DRM restrictions is really great. A welcome and frankly (to me) unexpected change.

As for vinyl, I have no trouble believing that the sonic experience to be had from a really top notch table, arm, and cartridge is in many ways superior to digital music, but I've never heard such a system in person so I don't know this is the case. Further, the entry cost of such a system is steep. Finally, records are a royal PITA! Even if I had the money to burn on a good vinyl setup, and an incredible record collection, I still would chose the convenience and portability of my MBP/Duet/Grado or iPod/PX100 setups. For me, I can totally enjoy music from either setup, and that's all that matters to me. Once the sound quality is good enough for me to get lost in the music, that's like 99 percent of it for me. Or maybe 95 percent :) Whatever!

So, I was curious to see what others here think of all of this stuff, and if anyone else is pleased with iTunes move to 256kbps AAC files as the new standard, DRM free?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That's very good news, although I don't know if it will make any difference to standard iPod owners, where the limitation lies in the hardware (hopefully that's next). But this will make a big difference to anyone who listens to iTunes tracks on even a halfway decent PC or laptop.

As for bitrate, in my experience 192kbps is the "magic line" between good and evil. A 192-to-320 variable bitrate file is to my ears indistinguishable from the CD.

And I do wish more people would heed your advice about the DAC/headphones, I often wonder how much more record companies would sell if everyone just had a decent pair of studio monitor cans..

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
StarHalo,

Thanks for your post! I can well believe that the magic line is 192, as for me it is definitely somewhere between 128 and 256!

Of course, I should point out that AAC bit rates are not the same as MP3 bitrates. A 256 AAC will beat a 256 MP3, and is about the same or slightly better than 320kbps MP3. Or so I've read. I don't use MP3 encoding, myself, only AAC. Point is, that there is a difference, and AAC is better.

As for laptop listening, I should mention that iBasso audio makes a nice USB DAC/Amp combo for just over $200 that will be both DAC/Amp, or just a DAC, or just an AMP. So, very versatile. It won't do 24 bit/ 96kHz like my Duet will, but it's just fine for 16 bit / 44.1 kHz standard. And an external DAC like that will kick a** on pretty much any soundcard on the market. And of course, there are tons more DAC's to be had. Check out www.head-fi.org for tons of information.

And, definitely, YES, ditch the standard Apple ear buds that come with your iPod. Ditch ANY earbuds, for that matter. They all suck. If you want something small like that, go for a good IEM made by Shure or Etymotics Reserach. And I can't say enough good things about the performance to price ratio of the Sennheiser PX100 headphones. Freaking amazing for $37 or so, portable folding deals, and easy to drive--the perfect complement to an MP3 player or iPod in my opinion. But not as portable as an IEM or earbud, of course.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have gotten back into listening to music and was given a 16gb Ipod Nano for Christmas. My 22 year old son showed me his IPhone and Ultimate Ears IEMS, which led to.................................. read below and now:mecry:

After finding Head-fi (forum), I am ripping CD's with dbPoweramp to ALAC (Apple Lossless) to my new Ipod 120GB classic (very thin) and listening with a P-51, portable amp and UE super.fi 5 Pro, IEMS or Sennheiser HD650 Headphones. I like the fact that Itunes has downloadable higher quality music and have downloaded a few albums.

If I'm not careful, I can see another expensive hobby, fortunately I still have good quality speakers, Amps and cd players from the mid 1990's and don't need to go there :cool:

jeffb

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
jeffb,

NICE! If I had an iPod classic with 120GB of storage, I would definitely rip to ALAC. I mean, why not, right? But I also wouldn't mind buying 256kbps AAC files from iTunes, either.

Nice equipment, BTW!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
That iBasso unit is very slick, a very reasonable price, too. I use the HeadRoom Mirco DAC and Amp combo, and Sony 7506 headphones, it's all about the clarity :thumbsup:

You should definitely spread the word among the uninitiated about the Sennheisers; upgrading headphones makes the biggest difference sonically, and once they've done that, they then wonder how much better it can get - that's how it all begins..

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first listening with the Duet and Grado SR225 combo was AWESOME! Talk about clarity and transparency! It was amazing. It still is. The Duet's headphone amp isn't the very best, but it's still quite good, especially for Grado's and Audio Technica's and I like not having to have a separate amp. But if money were no object, I would use the Duet as a DAC only and get a really nice headphone amp and a really nice set of full size cans. Still . . . for now, my three different setups suit my needs quite well:

1. Home stereo: Energy Pro 22 speakers, NAD 2200 power amp, NAD 1240 preamp, and Rotel CD player.

2. Portable, but not super-portable: Macbook Pro, Apogee Duet, and Grado SR 225's.

3. Very portable: iPod Touch and Sennheiser PX100's.

When I work graveyard shifts at the accelerator, I actually go to the trouble of bringing the Duet and SR225's to work with me. I use a small cardboard box to carry the 225's, but at some point I want something nicer and sturdier to carry them in. The Duet fits inside my Mattias Laptop armor hard case, along with my MBP and its power supply and extension cord. And when I do this I have super quality sound that doesn't take too much effort to carry with me and set up. The Duet really has a nice interface with OS X--like it was made for it! (Which it was! LOL!) My only complaint about the Duet is the breakout cable, which isn't quite up to the quality and design standards set by the Duet itself. Still good, and it does the job, but if I ever use the lineout of the Duet a lot, I will custom make a D-sub to dual RCA or TRS cable to replace that octupine tangle known as the "breakout cable".

Last edited:

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
For christmas, I bought myself a 32g ipod touch and a pair of Klipsch image X10's. They sound great with excellent bass. Thay are so small I can wear them for hours without even noticing them.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
... And I can't say enough good things about the performance to price ratio of the Sennheiser PX100 headphones. Freaking amazing for $37 or so, portable folding deals, and easy to drive--the perfect complement to an MP3 player or iPod in my opinion. But not as portable as an IEM or earbud, of course.

I got the Sennheiser PX200 headphones instead of the PX100. They are exactly the same, except they are closed instead of open. They even come with the same fold up case. My gym plays music that would leak in with open headphones. I did not like them very much when I first got them because they did not sit on my ears at the perfect angle. Then I carefully bent the metal part at the top center of the band that holds them on your ears, and now they fit me just right, instead of putting too much pressure on the top of my ears and not enough on the bottom. Now I love the Sennheiser PX200 headphones.

R@ndom

Enlightened
Wow! are all of js's posts so massivly informative?

Anyway my setup used to be ksc-75, fiio e3 to my n78. Now I lost my memory card any suggestions for a cheap new dap?

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
This is a welcome enhancement. I just wish I could go back and redownload my previous iTunes purchases at this higher rate. I never cared about the DRM-free issue, only the quality.

I started with unrestricted (DRM-free) digital mp3 when Napster made the format famous. My MP3's are only encoded using a specific software versions of Exact Audio Copy & LAME encoder in secure mode with ideal VBR & command line settings promoted by "The Gods" at HydrogenAudio & CDFreaks from original CD's.

These MP3's are indestinguishable from source WAV files using my Sennheiser HD-600, Etymotic ER-4P/S, M-Audio ER-30 + Creek OBH-11 HP Amp -- direct off PC with Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatality hookups. If I go portable, the now aging Archos Jukebox Recorder updated to 120GB HD & only running Rockbox gives decent quality with Etymotic/M-Audio or Sony MDL A-44L, and allows generic 4 x AA NiMH, and easy USB-2 file/folder drag/drop.

The previous 128bit sample rate from iTunes AAC were fine for most IPod "on the go" types, but never compared to EAC VBR MP3's for those of us who really listen to their music. If we additionally *******ized them into MP3's by burning the old 128bit rate AAC playlist to CD and re-ripping into MP3's, it was bad news, and iTunes was not worth it.

Fast forward to new iTunes version, and I can see this being an additional death knell for the CD industry, already in freefall. I have already done several downloads and conversions over to EAC MP3 with excellent results.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . . I just wish I could go back and redownload my previous iTunes purchases at this higher rate. I never cared about the DRM-free issue, only the quality.

. . .

You can! For only $0.30/song you can upgrade your previously purchased iTunes music. But I don't think you can pick and chose. You have to do all, or nothing. Click on the "upgrade my library" link in iTunes.

BTW, you got some nice equipment, there, Lux! :)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! are all of js's posts so massivly informative?

Anyway my setup used to be ksc-75, fiio e3 to my n78. Now I lost my memory card any suggestions for a cheap new dap?

You mean a cheap new DAQ? How much do you want to spend, and what do you want the transport to be, USB, Firewire, optical?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
You can! For only $0.30/song you can upgrade your previously purchased iTunes music. But I don't think you can pick and chose. You have to do all, or nothing. Click on the "upgrade my library" link in iTunes.

Thanks. Best $93 spent....now will likely be downloading all night. Also I see we have a problem with some earlier purchased 128bit files that are not showing as upgradeable. I have 23 in that category, and where plus version is available in catalog. Might as well follow JC's advice April 14th in that thread.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

You CAN pick. While there's a big friendly "Buy Now" button, there's also a list of upgradeable purchases beneath, with the usual "add to cart" or "upgrade" button in each row.

Albums cost $3 to upgrade, BTW. Music videos can be upgraded, too, but I forgot the price.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
elgarak,

Thanks! Good to know. I wasn't sure. I'd read that it was all or nothing, and I wanted to upgrade all, so I never tried to pick and chose. So, thanks for the clarification.

Another interesting point is that the new iTunes version advertising has words about "now capable of importing in iTunes Plus quality", which implies that it wasn't before, which it most certainly WAS. You've always been able to import at 256kbps in the AAC format!

The other thing is that the default is now variable bit rate 256kbps AAC. For myself, I do constant bit rate 256 kbps because the gain in space savings in using vbr is quite small, and I feel like I'm already near the edge in sound quality with cbr 256kbps, so I see no reason to push things by using vbr.

Also, if Apple standardizes on 256kbps then they will need to revise their number of songs they say any given iPod model will hold. Right now, they are using the approximate size of a 128kbps AAC file song as their estimate. Last time I looked they hadn't changed this.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
JC's post introduced the Apple January 6, 2009 Press Release (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/06itunes.html) which says you will be able to upgrade your "entire library of previously purchased songs." The word "entire" is a clear and legally unambiguous term. Had they used the word "most," the consumer options would be limited.

With persistence and patience, this Press Release representation does have legal "teeth" for the consumer, and implies that either Apple must make good on the entire library upgrade right, or issue some sort of credit--especially if your 128bit version is now available as a 256bit plus version. If they don't resolve this in a timely manner, it is a slam dunk class action lawsuit.

I have sent my list of the 23 songs I would like to upgrade, received a polite canned response, which I have asked to be escalated to a supervisor.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
elgarak,

Thanks! Good to know. I wasn't sure. I'd read that it was all or nothing, and I wanted to upgrade all, so I never tried to pick and chose. So, thanks for the clarification.

Another interesting point is that the new iTunes version advertising has words about "now capable of importing in iTunes Plus quality", which implies that it wasn't before, which it most certainly WAS. You've always been able to import at 256kbps in the AAC format!

The other thing is that the default is now variable bit rate 256kbps AAC. For myself, I do constant bit rate 256 kbps because the gain in space savings in using vbr is quite small, and I feel like I'm already near the edge in sound quality with cbr 256kbps, so I see no reason to push things by using vbr.

Also, if Apple standardizes on 256kbps then they will need to revise their number of songs they say any given iPod model will hold. Right now, they are using the approximate size of a 128kbps AAC file song as their estimate. Last time I looked they hadn't changed this.
Yup, they just renamed whatever it was called before.

Re. the capacity of iPods: For the shuffle, they (always) had the option to reduce the bitrate to 128 kbps AAC, even if the version on your HD and your iTunes library was 256 only. Let's face it, for the shuffle you don't need the high quality (I personally don't hear much difference anyway). Makes transfer times a little longer, though.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
JC's post introduced the Apple January 6, 2009 Press Release (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/01/06itunes.html) which says you will be able to upgrade your "entire library of previously purchased songs." The word "entire" is a clear and legally unambiguous term. Had they used the word "most," the consumer options would be limited.

With persistence and patience, this Press Release representation does have legal "teeth" for the consumer, and implies that either Apple must make good on the entire library upgrade right, or issue some sort of credit--especially if your 128bit version is now available as a 256bit plus version. If they don't resolve this in a timely manner, it is a slam dunk class action lawsuit.

I have sent my list of the 23 songs I would like to upgrade, received a polite canned response, which I have asked to be escalated to a supervisor.

OH! I see! You meant that sort of action. I didn't even think of that. :thinking:

You're right, though. It's very clear. Good luck to you, Lux! I hope it works out. Please do post back here if it does.

Latest posts