Mag 2D rebel vs TLE6

pipspeak

Enlightened
I'm curious if anyone has a maglite C or D with one of the new rebel LEDs in it. I'm craving amore light out of my current, older MagLED 2D and am pondering whether to get the Terralux drop-in (TLE-6) or simply buy a new Maglite, but I've no idea how the output of the two options would compare (Malkoffs et al are too expensive). Any insight appreciated.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
See Marduke's thread on the new Rebel Mag there is some info there.The Rebel Mag is still too new to know how good it will be the long run but it seems to be an improvement.

JamisonM

Enlightened
I own both and I think my 2D rebel maglite gives the tle-6ex a run for it's money. It is as bright if not brighter. Neither are great though. The rebel maglites still have the same heatsinking problem that the luxeon III maglites had/have. I did a simple test with a multimeter and measured the starting current from the tailcap. Right when the light is turned on and cold, I read 1.6A and after 20 minutes I read half that; .83A. The tle-6ex have the same problem of little or no heatsinking, but from my understanding have been designed to run at the edge of burning up and no more.
The worst thing here is the pickle you're in with these new rebel maglites. If you buy one and don't like the LED in it, you can't take out the old LED drop-in like you can/could do with the luxeon III maglites. Take a look at the maglite upgraded to a rebel thread for pictures of the new design. You can still cut the cam off and use the switch for modding though. If you really want your 2D maglite to be the brightest it can be, you can't go wrong with one of Gene's drop-ins. Modify your 2D maglite to accept 3C or 3AA cells, use rechargables and you'll have a great light.