Sf Mn 20 problem

bwcaw

Enlightened
I just got my UBHII from Doug Speck today, and had plans to run my MN20 in it and was doing a run time test in a KT1 attached to the e2c adaptor which was in turn attached to the UBHII body. Well about 5 min into the test POP! Goes the MN20 completely ruining my brand new KT1! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Arrrr.
I called SF and they said to send it in. Now I have to wait another couple of weeks untill I can get the KT1 and MN20 back! GRRRRRR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
The UBH II is basically half of the M6 then right? 3x123 = 9 volts. So I don't see your logic, Nascar. Now, running the bulb for the M6 in the KT1 could be another thing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Millennium TurboHead and the KT TurboHead are the same TurboHead reflectors apart from the Millennium TurboHead is shock isolated.

SureFire Lamp Assemblies are designed to be powered by the number of batteries specified in the model specified. The resistance of the flashlight is very important.

Al

bwcaw

Enlightened
Why would the MN20 explode if UNDERdriven? I was running it at about 1.5-1.6 amps 9V. In the M6 it runs at 2 amps 9v. BTW this is the SECOND time I have had problems with stupid surefire mn20's. I had one go "smoky" on me earlier this year, and surefire replaced it. I have never however had any problem with any of the streamlights that I have had, and my US has had the same lamp in it sice I got it about a year ago, and has been dropped many times. Personally I think SF's bulbs SUCK!!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm pleased your opinion has been formed using your own experience.
I'm impressed that you can make such a sweeping statement based on your personal thoughts. I certainly couldn't.
It is a shame that not everyone comes to their own conclusions in the same way you do and post them here on CPF. (I'm sure that Sasha is hoping that every flashlight user doesn't suddenly join CPF and start posting!)

We are lucky to have your input here at CPF. I'm sure your feedback to SureFire and Streamlight is helping them improve their products.

Al

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had several Surefire bulbs go bad, some blow up and some "go smokey" including an MN20. It seems to be something that's hit or miss. I've had more bulb problems with Surefire lights than any other brand of light. As a matter of fact, I've only had bulb problems with Surefire brand lights. Having said that, Surefire makes some of the best lights available. Their lights can do things no other light manufacturers can do. So it's a delima, if you don't want to take the risk then you also don't get the reward of using a Surefire.

I feel your pain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just had a Surefire battery go ka-put prematurely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Ahh...the saga contiues.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've had more Pelican bulbs fail then SureFires (if you don't include my abusive field-testing). Pelican only get this honour by two lamps (six total)
I've got about 60 SureFire lamps. About 40 are currently in SureFires all of which have been through a minimum of two sets of batteries. Some have had more than 30 sets.

Al

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, I would say most Surefire bulbs are good, but some are bad. If you get a bad one, they let you know right away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you get a good one, they probably seem last "forever".

bwcaw

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sean said:
I've had several Surefire bulbs go bad, some blow up and some "go smokey" including an MN20. It seems to be something that's hit or miss. I've had more bulb problems with Surefire lights than any other brand of light. As a matter of fact, I've only had bulb problems with Surefire brand lights. Having said that, Surefire makes some of the best lights available. Their lights can do things no other light manufacturers can do. So it's a delima, if you don't want to take the risk then you also don't get the reward of using a Surefire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know what you mean, if you want the best you have to put up with the little quirks I guess.

I have never had any problems with a streamlight lamp exploding, nor have I heard of such an occurance. In fact I have never ever heard of any lamp in a flashlight exploding except a surefire!

The funny thing is I have had other sf lamps for a long time that I have had no problems with at all. My mn03 in my e2o has been through several sets of batteries, and is still working fine as is my P60 in my M2.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the above posts are why i shy away from other sf's and stick to my E2e. the MN03 lamp has proven to be robust. it also is the only sf that throws a truly round beam.

i find the other sf lamps to be disgustingly oval, especially considering the price we pay and the quality sf touts.

i've been considering a 9v sf for quite some time. but i'm going to wait till next month for the new streamlight TL-3.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
from my experiences, surefire's bulbs are the only bulbs that can fail without any abuse. i've never had any other bulb fail without good reason (impact, overdriving, etc). its probably because the bulbs are designed to be pushed to the edge, hence they tend to be more finicky than regular bulbs.

i agree with what sean said. generally if a surefire bulb or lamp assembly is bad, it'll die the first time you drop it or within the first few sets of batteries. if it doesn't die, it'll go on for a long time even when subject to an inordinate amount of abuse.

JoeyL

Enlightened
I feel your pain.

I have had about 6 failed bulbs out of an inventory of
about 40 surefire bulbs in 10 lights.
My experience is that the failures occured quickly in 5 of the 6, within the first two battery changes or charges,
and mostly in the higher lumen options.
Two were 500 lu MN21's
Two were 125 lu P61's
One was a 250 lu MN20
and one was a 225 lu MN16.

To their credit however, I have an old R60 for the original 6P which has seen over 50 battery changes and is still working! Also, I use an E1 and E2 daily and haven't changed a bulb yet!
So it seems that the bad ones fail fast. For this reason, I have taken to going through a set of batteries for every set of replacement lamps I get, even if they are back up stock. It's a pain to do, but it seems to offer a bit of security for the really important lights.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I really love my Surefires, but i hate that the blubs are so fragile. I just wish surefire would make some better lamps.

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's the trouble. SureFire don't make their own lamps - their specifications are highly demanding and failure to make bulbs to SureFire's specifications has caused problems in the past. SureFire take the flak for it of course and so they should.

With a tiny sample of users such as CPF it is very difficult to come to a conclusion for the "reality" based on posts here.

Feedback to SureFire is the best way to help improve products.

Al

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Hopefully everyone already knows this, but if you touch the Xenon bulb it contaminates the bulb and the bulb will die very quickly. I learned this the hard way with a car headlamp.

If you do accidently touch it, carefully clean it with alcohol before you try and use it.

As I said, you all probably already know that, but just in case ...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
JoeyL said:
....So it seems that the bad ones fail fast. For this reason, I have taken to going through a set of batteries for every set of replacement lamps I get, even if they are back up stock. It's a pain to do, but it seems to offer a bit of security for the really important lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

JoeyL,

I never thought of doing this but I guess it is a form of insurance. Do you think a single long burn will flush out all or most of the bad ones?

Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
It is reasonable to try out equipment before using it in a critical situation. If I needed to rely on any of my SureFires for my job I would put two or three sets of SF123As through each lamp during training.

This applies to any equipment from blades to boots - I'd want to make sure that it performs as I expect/require.

Al

Matthew_Ung

Newly Enlightened
Size15s... That sounds like a good idea. Why doesn't surefire or any other manufacturer run a set of batteries through their lamps before selling them? Wouldn't that reduce the chance of mishaps?