Erratic Fenix P3D Q5 Problem

blufire

Newly Enlightened
My P3D is acting up. One day, it just refused to start up, so I fooled around with it and found that it only started up if i shook it back and forth while pressing the tailcap switch. The LED works just fine at each of the millions of different settings, but the behavior exhibited by the tailcap action is inconsistent.

I've got to think something's amiss inside the tailcap. Unfortunately, it looks like all of the guts of the flashlight are sealed away completely, so it doesn't look like I can find out if the tailcap really is the problem.

Is this a common problem? I tried searching for "P3D", but it looks like the search term is too short and I didn't get any results. Is it possible to take apart the tailcap so I can diagnose the problem better?

Thanks in advance.:wave:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
My P3D is acting up. One day, it just refused to start up, so I fooled around with it and found that it only started up if i shook it back and forth while pressing the tailcap switch. The LED works just fine at each of the millions of different settings, but the behavior exhibited by the tailcap action is inconsistent.

I've got to think something's amiss inside the tailcap. Unfortunately, it looks like all of the guts of the flashlight are sealed away completely, so it doesn't look like I can find out if the tailcap really is the problem.

Is this a common problem? I tried searching for "P3D", but it looks like the search term is too short and I didn't get any results. Is it possible to take apart the tailcap so I can diagnose the problem better?

Thanks in advance.:wave:

My PD30 did the same thing.

Turned out, I just needed to tighten the tail cap REALLY tight.

If it's not as tight as I can get it, it will do that. They could have made it a TAD shorter to stop this, just try to tighten some more.

rockz4532

Enlightened
I'm not sure if it works with the P3D, but if it does, there's 2 small holes on the rim of the tail-cap, you take tweezers and spin it counter-clockwise, and the guts of the switch should come out.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
First thing, tighten the tailcap retaining ring. Take tweezers, insert the tips into the two holes in the tailcap, and tighten clockwise.

If that doesn't fix it, then open up the tailcap and clean it. If that doesn't work, try replacement in you are in the US and bought from Fenix Store/4Sevens or get a new tailswitch.