Standby Current Draw

Dan FO

Enlightened
I have read that the standby current draw is much less on the EX10 than the D10 NiteCore. Does anyone know if this is a function of the battery type and voltage? Or is it a function of the buck/boost circuit?

This is not so much a question about just NiteCore but would it hold true with other lights using a standby current such as the NovaTac? Do higher voltage batteries necessarily use less standby energy?

rockz4532

Enlightened
I think it has to do with the 1.5 volt battery compared to the 3v battery. Im pretty sure your hypothesis is right

deusexaethera

Banned
You know flashlights are getting too complicated when you start wondering how much electricity they use when they're OFF. (or supposed to be, anyway.)

MonkRX

Newly Enlightened
I lost my D10 sometime last year... It has a relatively fresh Rayovac Hybrid in it. I keep my D10 fully tightened. I'm wondering if I find it somewhere if it killed the battery or not..

Now about the EX10 using less power on standby than the D10, I never heard that before. I must of missed it on one of the (hundreds) of D10/EX10 threads :p. I suppose the extra overhead is boosting the NiMH's voltage to turn on the circuitry in the D10. *shrug*

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have read that the standby current draw is much less on the EX10 than the D10 NiteCore. Does anyone know if this is a function of the battery type and voltage? Or is it a function of the buck/boost circuit?

This is not so much a question about just NiteCore but would it hold true with other lights using a standby current such as the NovaTac? Do higher voltage batteries necessarily use less standby energy?

EX10 and D10 uses the same circuit, but the current draw depends on the battery voltage, i.e. a 1.5 volt battery will have more current draw than a 3.7 volt LiIon battery.