Nite-Ize PR drop-in mystery emitter?

europachris

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a Nite-Ize PR bulb drop-in this past weekend at Lowe's on a whim. In my 2-D Mag, it's pretty good, but throws wierd color (yellowish/greenish) rings. Much better than the stock incand., but didn't light my fire.

However, it's found a fantastic home in an Ace 2xAA rubberized flashlight, with the same basic "guts" as the Dorcy Gelbrite. The beam is a nice smooth floody spread with good color and perfect for close inspection.

Anyway, here's the emitter - any guesses to what it is/who makes it?:
IMG_0007crop.jpg

deusexaethera

Banned
The phosphor distribution looks a lot like the Luxeon LED in my new Arc6, and Nite-Ize likes to use Luxeon LEDs, so I'm gonna guess it's a Luxeon LED.

europachris

Newly Enlightened
I bought a couple of those awhile back before Nite-Ize started selling them. The LED is a chinese knock-off of a Luxeon, and it sure is green.

Green as in phosphor color or green as in light output? I find mine to be around 4100K to 4500K color temp (guestimate). My Energizer/Cree 1xAA is 5000K or higher, definitely a more "white" white.

I took that picture under lousy fluorescent lighting with no flash, so the color is skewed somewhat.

It's also funny how tiny the Cree emitter is (1/4 of the size) of the Nite-Ize, yet it puts out more light.

McAllan

Enlightened
:eeew:

Yes. That must be some cheap :knight: of a Chinese Luxeon knockoff.

I have a light with a LED which looks very much like that one pictured. The light which looks a bit like Ultrafire 606A was bought at Clas Ohlson (Swedish chain) for like 6 USD (extremely cheap where I Live).

The funny thing is that the first I bought, got home, fired it up I was quite surprised. Nice neutral tint perhaps a hair on the warm side even color rendition was very good. It has only two wires.
Being quite surprised by the light quality of such a cheap light I bought two more for everyday and dirty use going to Sweden a few weeks later. This time however they were different. Anodizing better looking but the LED's now with 4 wires just like the picture. I've not seen such ugly squid urine green LED's before. They could almost be sold as a "new newer before possible LED color :D". They're absolutely :duck:
Oh well, no big deal they were very cheap. I'll probably just buy some other chineese LEDs to swap in them the next time I order something from DX.

Other than the "tint" and number of bond wires they looks identical.

Last edited:

europachris

Newly Enlightened
Well, then, for the $15 that Lowe's sells these for, evidently it's not worth it if it's a cheap emitter (which I figured). I had a gift card to burn, so it's not money out of my pocket, but I'd much rather have one of these with a Rebel or Cree, something putting out 60+ lumens at 1 watt to keep the heat down and still have plenty of light.

Nevertheless, in my Ace rubber 2xAA, it has a real nice beam for close work (I've used it daily this week for "under the hood" mechanical inspection), and if I drop it, it won't ding paint or anything else like an aluminum light will.

Wonder if the Nite-Ize can be modded easily for a better emitter?

Chris

Latest posts