Talk me out of a Zebralight

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I haven't gotten myself a light in a long, long while...Been fine with my Photons, Surefire, 9V lights, and my little collection of Petzl Tikkas that I have strapped onto this or that scattered throughout my gear. Then, I go and look into the Zebralight as more than 'That thing I don't need'. Between the mounting options, the size, the flood, and the pure novelty of it...I need to either convince myself to pay for it, or not to get it and waste more space in my arsenal. Money isn't the problem, it's the question of '...I have a light for everything, why another one?'

For reference, my eye is on the H30 model because of the button switch, less glare, smaller size, and runtime. Sure it says 80 lumens, but is that emitter lumens or Surefire lumens?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have a H50 but checked out a friends H30 during a winter campout last weekend. It was brighter but without each side by side I wouldn't be able to tell. However darn that thing is small and I was thinking my H50 was little. Anyways a good camp headlamp that runs for a long time on one battery. I use it on low inside the tent. Medium walking around camp and on high for cooking deer to make certain it was cooked right.

Kinda nice to own as there is nothing else like it. As to if you need one or not guessing only you can answer that.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I have both the H50 and H30 but can't think of anything particularly bad about either. I'll likely purchase the H60 soon but the price has me somewhat reserved still. I don't think I'll be the one to talk you out of the Zebralight though.

Barrie

Enlightened
i go a h30 for Xmas it died in a couple of days probably 1 to 2 hours of use (still on the battery it came with) it was returned and replaced at no cost to me my replacement is working with no problems i work a early night shift get home around 3 to 4 am and use it mainly in the house to save putting on the house lights and disturbing the family and for a flood light when walking my dogs along with my fenix tk10 out doors

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Very blue tinted emitter (in mine) that is very very hard to swap out.

Thin battery tube.

:shrug: That's all I got to complain about. I like my Zebra overall.

Woods Walker

Mine had a very very bad tint but found that the Energizer 2500 was DOA so it never got brighter than the low 2.5 ish lumens. On low it is greenish but once I trashed the junk NiMH and use a Duraloop the medium and high settings were infact warm :twothumbsso now like the Zebralight a great deal. Just wish they has a warm tint Cree option as the low still looks a bit too green for me. Guessing the same would be true for a blue or purple tint. The lower settings would be more blue or purple.The twisty is a bit more of a pain than the clicky of the H30 however there was no clicky H51 and still remains MIA today but with luck they are looking to do it right so there is no repeat of the early H30 bugs.

If there is a bad side to both Zebralights I tried guessing the lack of throw would be it however the light's flood is so nice and that is what the Zebralights are all about. Also with new Zebralights maybe.....maybe in the works this could also be a reason to hold off and even when or if the new lights come out I look for the reports on CPF as if there is any problems these blood hounds will sniff every last issue out.

As for the lumens it is hard to tell. I don't have a pure flood headlamp or flashlight to compare and often throw makes a light look brighter when it is not. Seems darn bright however so guessing the levels are right. There maybe some charts on CPF showing the real output.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very blue tinted emitter (in mine) that is very very hard to swap out.

Thin battery tube.

:shrug: That's all I got to complain about. I like my Zebra overall.

Sarg,

It's not hard to swap out. I swapped mine for a warmy this weekend. :grin2:

The epoxy potting is a myth. It's not epoxy at all, more like some sort of thermal silicone. Anyway, it's soft.

steveG

Enlightened
Talk me out of a Zebralight

Can't do it! For about 12 hours a couple months ago I thought I'd lost my H30-Q5 and immediately decided to replace it. Luckily I found it and saved myself some $$$$. Do yourself a favor and order it. You'll love it and you won't regret it one bit!

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
:caution:

Mine will be modded tomorrow then! Thanks for the info man! :party:
Read this thread before you just dive in. There is an order of operations that must be followed, but I wouldn't call it a difficult mod. I've been meaning to start an official thread on the subject and include more details and how to reassemble, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

bananajoe

Newly Enlightened
I do not own any of them, but I think they could be clever solutions to my problems... I read about reflectored versions which are closed to be released in another CFP topic. are there any news or pictures?

Woods Walker

Read this thread before you just dive in. There is an order of operations that must be followed, but I wouldn't call it a difficult mod. I've been meaning to start an official thread on the subject and include more details and how to reassemble, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Does the mod make the light less water proof? I don't think it would work for my H50 (no clicky head?) but may work for the H51 if it ever comes out. Just wish more headlamps would offer the warmer LED. Sure there are a few less lumens but so what. Maybe I will Email Zebralight and ask. Can't hurt.....

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the mod make the light less water proof?

That all depends on how you choose to reassemble. If you glue the lens to the body making sure there is a full seal all the way around, it will be at least as water proof as it was before, assuming you use an appropriate adhesive.

Personally, I did not use any glue, so in my case, yes, it is less water proof.

Gluing the lens in place will make reassembly and possible future swaps more difficult, but it should be possible.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use a CR123 primary and a spacer. I don't think you'll get full brightness, but it'll work in the cold.

Won't work with H60, it shuts down at 2.8 volts, and 123a cannot hold that especially in cold weather.

That all depends on how you choose to reassemble. If you glue the lens to the body making sure there is a full seal all the way around, it will be at least as water proof as it was before, assuming you use an appropriate adhesive.

Personally, I did not use any glue, so in my case, yes, it is less water proof.

Gluing the lens in place will make reassembly and possible future swaps more difficult, but it should be possible.
I think you'll have better seal if you use silicone sealant, and easier to disassemble than glue.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't work with H60, it shuts down at 2.8 volts, and 123a cannot hold that especially in cold weather.

Huh. Zebralight himself said that a CR123 primary and a spacer would work. He must not have been taking cold temps into account.

I think you'll have better seal if you use silicone sealant, and easier to disassemble than glue.

Good suggestion.

Shorty66

Enlightened
Well, i will not be the one talking you out of a zebralight but you should consider waiting for the H501.
This should be the same as the h30 but more pocketable because of its smaller diameter. In addition you should get a light wich runs well on standard batteries AND LiIons.
Prehaps you will even get the nice selection of modes the H60 has to offer.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh. Zebralight himself said that a CR123 primary and a spacer would work. He must not have been taking cold temps into account.

I think what he really meant is it'll work if nothing else is available. Like LiFePO4 rechargeables, they will work with <15 lumen settings but higher levels will make the voltage sag enough to trigger shutdown, and many UI problems. It's really designed for 3.7v chemistry only.