Maglite Fenix Adapter

JamisonM

Enlightened
I got the idea from my EL MT-III's bulb adapter. It's crude, I know, but with the great regulation of the fenix driver combined with 2D cells; it going to have long runtime. One thing I'm worried about is leaving it on high for an extended amount of time. Another possible downside is that you won't have strobe or turbo unless you make your adapter with that in mind. The way you browse through modes is to press and release(momentary) the button. When you find the mode you want you continue pressing until the you hear a click. Depending on which model of fenix head you use, you can go all the way up to a 4D maglite. One thing I'd like to see is someone with the tools and ability to make a real adapter that screws on like the bulb retaining ring and then was threaded to all the screwing on of the different kinds of fenix heads.
3816186020_4f4121915a_z.jpg

3816185892_938e222611_z.jpg

3815375181_b57071cc72.jpg

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah Mag mods like this have crossed my mind on many occasions, but I just don't like the idea of all the head space going to waste with such a small reflector. There are plenty of 2 cell mag mod builds floating around here that have just as good regulation as that Fenix you're using.

jankj

Enlightened
Is it possible to slaughter the fenix head (i.e. cut away the reflector, but use the LED, driver electronics and threading) and use it together with a maglite reflector? May not be cost effective, but could be fun.

Also - the fenix goes into turbo mode by screwing the head all the way in. I.e. the leading edge of the body provides either contact or pressure at some point in the head. It should be possible, but maybe not cost effective, to create a mecanical device that does the same thing.

My guess is that when thightening the head, the leading edge of the body provides an electrical connection between 2 points on the head. Figure out what those points are. Then it should be possible to solder some connections there and connect to a switch. Close the switch - voila, TURBO.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Yeah Mag mods like this have crossed my mind on many occasions, but I just don't like the idea of all the head space going to waste with such a small reflector. There are plenty of 2 cell mag mod builds floating around here that have just as good regulation as that Fenix you're using.
This was never meant to be a full blown mod. It's more like a fenix maglite drop-in; it's a simple bulb replacement that doesn't require the maglites reflector.

Is it possible to slaughter the fenix head (i.e. cut away the reflector, but use the LED, driver electronics and threading) and use it together with a maglite reflector? May not be cost effective, but could be fun.

Also - the fenix goes into turbo mode by screwing the head all the way in. I.e. the leading edge of the body provides either contact or pressure at some point in the head. It should be possible, but maybe not cost effective, to create a mecanical device that does the same thing.

My guess is that when thightening the head, the leading edge of the body provides an electrical connection between 2 points on the head. Figure out what those points are. Then it should be possible to solder some connections there and connect to a switch. Close the switch - voila, TURBO.
You could take apart the head to get to the driver, but that's something I wouldn't want to do. If you wanted turbo and strobe, you'd make an adapter that would allow you to turn the fenix head by turning the head of the maglite. Another way would be to make an adapter where you would take the bezel or head off the maglite to tighten or loosen the head of the fenix. Either way, this would let you switch between all modes.

jankj

Enlightened
You could take apart the head to get to the driver, but that's something I wouldn't want to do.

You misunderstand me. Keep everything from the fenix head exept the lens, reflector and the top part of the head. In other words: Take your dremel and cut away everything in front of the LED.

If you wanted turbo and strobe, you'd make an adapter that would allow you to turn the fenix head by turning the head of the maglite. Another way would be to make an adapter where you would take the bezel or head off the maglite to tighten or loosen the head of the fenix. Either way, this would let you switch between all modes.

Yes, that was my first thought too - but you don't need to do that.

If I am correct about the fenix head, the "leading edge" of the fenix closes a circut when thightened to activate the turbo setting. I.e. the turbo setting is active if 2 points in the rear of the head are electrical connected. Solder one wire to each point, connect the wires to a switch, and presto - turbo switch without turning any heads.

:eek: OOPS - I see now that you do want to keep the fenix head intact. In that case, none of my suggestions apply....
That's OK, I understand . . . I love my fenix and would never do anything bad to it (yet). :devil:

JamisonM

Enlightened
You misunderstand me. Keep everything from the fenix head exept the lens, reflector and the top part of the head. In other words: Take your dremel and cut away everything in front of the LED.
You wouldn't even need a dremel. Like a maglite, their are two parts to the head that screw together. Still, the cree wouldn't work so well with the maglite's reflector.

Yes, that was my first thought too - but you don't need to do that.

If I am correct about the fenix head, the "leading edge" of the fenix closes a circut when thightened to activate the turbo setting. I.e. the turbo setting is active if 2 points in the rear of the head are electrical connected. Solder one wire to each point, connect the wires to a switch, and presto - turbo switch without turning any heads.

:eek: OOPS - I see now that you do want to keep the fenix head intact. In that case, none of my suggestions apply....
That's OK, I understand . . . I love my fenix and would never do anything bad to it (yet). :devil:
You are correct, but if you did that, you would only have turbo and strobe. In case of a black out, 10lm are more then enough to navigate a house with. This is especially true for those who live on the atlantic coast with hurricane season coming up. You never know when the next hugo will be.

Last edited:

jankj

Enlightened
You are correct, but if you did that, you would only have turbo and strobe.

No, no, no - connect to a SWITCH! Then you can SWITCH between normal and turbo mode. Of course you need a separate switch for this. One possibility: Get a tailcap switch for on/off/cycle through modes, use the thumb switch to control turbo / normal.

JamisonM

Enlightened
No, no, no - connect to a SWITCH! Then you can SWITCH between normal and turbo mode. Of course you need a separate switch for this. One possibility: Get a tailcap switch for on/off/cycle through modes, use the thumb switch to control turbo / normal.
Ah, [smacks self], that's definitely a possibility.