Eagletac T10LC2 or Fenix TK-11 R2?

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to be getting a new 18650 powered light, and I've narrowed it down to these 2. I'm leaning towards the Eagletac because it's smaller and lighter, and also has reverse polarity protection (I blew out a Fenix L2D Q5 because it didn't have it). The negatives about the Eagletac are that I'm not too sure about it's reliability and durability. I've heard a few stories here about them having problems with breaking when dropped (I'm rough with stuff, lol), and some of them not working well when new.

Fenix on the other hand has legendary durability and reliability. I've had a few of them and with the exception of one falling victim to reverse polarity, they have been virtually bulletproof, almost like the Glock of flashlights. My reluctance with the TK-11 is the lack of reverse polarity protection, and the overall size of the light, which appears to be quite larger than the T10LC2.

Does anyone here have both? How do they compare overall in size, durability, and brightness?

Thanks guys

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to be getting a new 18650 powered light, and I've narrowed it down to these 2. I'm leaning towards the Eagletac because it's smaller and lighter, and also has reverse polarity protection (I blew out a Fenix L2D Q5 because it didn't have it). The negatives about the Eagletac are that I'm not too sure about it's reliability and durability. I've heard a few stories here about them having problems with breaking when dropped (I'm rough with stuff, lol), and some of them not working well when new.

Fenix on the other hand has legendary durability and reliability. I've had a few of them and with the exception of one falling victim to reverse polarity, they have been virtually bulletproof, almost like the Glock of flashlights. My reluctance with the TK-11 is the lack of reverse polarity protection, and the overall size of the light, which appears to be quite larger than the T10LC2.

Does anyone here have both? How do they compare overall in size, durability, and brightness?

Thanks guys

look before you insert the battery. This shouldn't be a requirement, it should be a habit to take care of your stuff lol :)

I would go with the Fenix. The TK11 is almost identical in size (if not identical) to my 6PL. I carry it in my pocket everyday. My pants are pretty tight too, no sagging for me.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the size - you can compare them here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214238
First picture, T1-LC2 is basically the same size as T10C2. BTW if you're looking for 18650 light you should think about T10L which mas much better (flatter) regulation with single Li-Ion.
Besides T10LC2 and TK11 are not quite comparable because Eagle-Tac has textured reflector with nicer beam but less throw while TK11 has smooth one, more throw and ugly, ringy beam.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Others have mentioned that the switch is harder to activate on the Eagletac as it is recessed to facilitate tailstanding. I haven't personally seen one yet but it may be something to think about.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Others have mentioned that the switch is harder to activate on the Eagletac as it is recessed to facilitate tailstanding. I haven't personally seen one yet but it may be something to think about.
I think that's total horsecrap. Unless the user have the paws of an Ogre, I can't possibly imagine anyone having a slightly trouble in activating such pleasant switch.

radu1976

Enlightened
Ha ! Totally disagree !
I don't know how the EAGLETAC switch is but I have sold many lights only because of a stiff clikie . Among them the JETBEAM PRO I R2
For me the stifness of a switch is VERY IMPORTANT. It's like you'd drive a nice car feeling unconfortable behind the wheel :shrug:

I think that's total horsecrap. Unless the user have the paws of an Ogre, I can't possibly imagine anyone having a slightly trouble in activating such pleasant switch.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha ! Totally disagree !
I don't know how the EAGLETAC switch is but I have sold many lights only because of a stiff clikie . Among them the JETBEAM PRO I R2
For me the stifness of a switch is VERY IMPORTANT. It's like you'd drive a nice car feeling unconfortable behind the wheel :shrug:
Stiff switch? Do you even own an EagleTac?

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recall a forum member not liking the switch because he found it hard to operate while using a cigar style grip. I seem to remember he had a problem with his thumb though, so it may not be a problem for most people. Also, I don't think it was anything to do with the switch being stiff - just not easily accessable for him due to the metal surround (as Tony commented on).

kenL

Newly Enlightened
Which one is better for outdoor, T10L or fenix TK11 R2. I heard the TK11 R2 has flat regulation on a single 18650.

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
Which one is better for outdoor, T10L or fenix TK11 R2. I heard the TK11 R2 has flat regulation on a single 18650.

The T10L has flat regulation, not the TK11 R2 on the 18650's. I have a T10LC2 and find no trouble easily operating the switch, and I like being able to tailstand it. I do plan on buying a TK11 R2 very soon as well, because I debated back and forth between the two. I bought the EagleTac first due to the slightly brighter, wider beam and cheaper cost. I do like the tremendous throw and longer runtime of the TK11 R2 on primaries, so soon my compulsion will force me to buy it. The greater throw of the TK11 R2 might make it slightly better for outdoors, but my T10LC2 has very good throw to go with it's great spill, so I would think the T10L would do great door outdoors as well, but for really long distances the TK11 R2's throw should make a decent difference. When I get my Fenix I will post a comparison.

Edit: looks like the TK11 R2 does have flat regulation like the T10L. Since that is the case the throw/spill preference would be the deciding factor between the T10L and TK11 R2, as well as the TK11 R2's ability to run primaries as well. As a primary guy, the flat regulation never factored into my TK11 vs. T10LC2 comparison, just the spill/throw and runtimes. As most here do I will just end up buying both, but I am very happy with my T10LC2 so far.
Mike

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one person has posted info about flat regulation with the TK11R2, so we can't really know for sure until a few more people confirm it.

I have large hands, and I have no problem activating My T10L's switch while holding it different ways. It really isn't an issue unless you like to turn the light on with the palm of your hand (not sure why someone would...).

The T10L has a bright, wide spill beam, but not as much throw. You can light up a fairly decent sized area with it, but it won't go as far as the TK11. The TK11 spill is not as bright, which makes it somewhat less useful for everyday use.
The T10L does have reverse polarity protection, but it is not really necessary if you know which end of the battery is the positive end.
There are some instances of the lenses of some eagletac lights breaking after the lights fell on the floor. Apparently eagletac is coming up with a solution, and has revised the heads of the P10A and some other models. You might want to wait and see if they revise the T10L head as well.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Only one person has posted info about flat regulation with the TK11R2, so we can't really know for sure until a few more people confirm it.

x2.... I sifted through selfbuilts reviews (a GREAT URL to bookmark too BTW), and every 2xCR123 + 18650 (dual capable) light he tested showed poor regulation running a single 18650.

Examples...
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/selfbuilt/DT-Hi18650-2.gif

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/selfbuilt/WT1Hi2.gif

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/selfbuilt/Throw18650.gif

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/selfbuilt/C6-Hi18650.gif

The only exception being the lumapower encore.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/212930

So if the TK-11 really is flat-regulated off an 18650 it practically stands alone (among the dual-power capable lights). Fortunately there are a lot of 18650-only lights that provide flat regulated output.

*edit*
That Lumapower is not very bright though. So it starts dimmer than the others, but ends where it starts. Its almost like if you want MAX brightness, you can only expect it for 10-15 minutes.

:twothumbs

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the driver would have to be designed to have flat regulation with 18650's. I don't think the difference in voltage itself is different enough to make a light have flat regulation.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
It is not so exceptional. Check ITP E50 and JETBeam JET-Ti M.

I'm also waiting for someone else to confirm my findings about TK11 R2. Recently I've borrowed another TK11 R2 and it has flat regulation with 18650 too. So is it luck on low Vf emitter or not ? :D

I guess I hadn't considsered 17670 or Titanium ($$$) lights:eek:

Thats funny about the Jet-Ti-M.... because the non-Ti version has poor regulation off an 18650 (at least per self-builts review).

High / 18650
JetIIIM-Hi18650.gif

Medium / 18650
JetIIIM-Med18650.gif

:confused:

SupremeEye

Newly Enlightened
I'd go with the TK11 R2.

I own a TK11 R2 and its a great light. While it doesn't throw out to 200m's like advertised it does throw well.
The R2 will have you playing with it just cause! Lol I find myself sometimes just clicking it on for the hell of it.

I work for a Sheriff's Department and all my Deputy colleagues who see the light have nothing but praise for it.

Its essentially my duty light and I carry a Magcharger lol. I've used it more than my MC as of late. Though I still use my MC to wake up the inmates for court etc.

TK11 R2 is the choice!

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK11 has reverse polarity protection. I think all the new Fenix lights have it now. My TK10 has it.