Magnetic charging leads?

McAllan

Enlightened
Sorry I don't know about any. But realistically they should be quite easy making one suited to you application quite easily.

The hard part is that you can't solder onto the neodym magnets - at least not without damaging them. A bit of fantasy is needed to glue the battery and something iron which you've soldered a wire to. Glue on the outside as you do not want glue in the actual connection. Or you can just make a good assembly to the iron piece or a bass piece (nicely soldered with shrinking tube) and use two magnets.
Bottomline - it shouldn't be hard to make one yourself ;)

But It'll not work om some Li batteries in aluminum containers and a protection circuit make a distance to the container so you need a stronger magnet at that pole.

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic
I have a few sets of Lux's magnetic charging leads, and they are a joy to use. I believe, from the pull, they are rare earth, and they are stoutly built with primo wire.

I don't think he sells them anymore, but I'll bet he'd share the technique, if you plead with him, bow and scrape and such.:devil:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you mind posting a pic of your charging leads Donn as im interested in doing this as well with single cells.

donn_

Flashaholic
IMGP2562.jpg

The leads are about 3" long. The magnets about 1/4" cube.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pic.......it was worth posting it, plan on making a couple of my own for charging single cells.

DM51

Flashaholic
The problem with soldering to magnets is that heat destroys the magnetism. The soldering therefore has to be done very quickly, so that the whole magnet doesn't have time to heat up.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep - it's the Curie temperature. NiB magnets have a Curie temperature of, I think, something like 350°C, so it's possible to solder to them without killing the magnetism if you're quick enough. It helps to have a temperature-controlled soldering station and acid-core solder.

Illum

Flashaholic
The leads are about 3" long. The magnets about 1/4" cube.

The problem with soldering to magnets is that heat destroys the magnetism. The soldering therefore has to be done very quickly, so that the whole magnet doesn't have time to heat up.

well, for what I have worked with, if you can make a magnet lose its magnetism using a 25W iron I dare say you have very special soldering skills. :hahaha: :tinfoil:
I soldered my wires on 3/16" 24K gold plated NdFeB cubes and apparently they are immune to my solder gun as I tried to sacrifice one to see if you are correct.

Besides, even if it loses its properties it still provides a standing platform to connect an unsoldered magnet to:nana:

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made my own a few weeks ago using DX's rare earth magnets. Very easy to make. Takes 5 minutes and 20 cents in magnets / wire.

thezman

Enlightened
The easiest way is to just solder a couple alligator clips to the wire and use them to hold the magnets.

Meterman

Newly Enlightened
Here is one of at least two different ways to have good magnetic contacts:

You need a magnet (this one has 16mm diameter) and a contact (in this case 6mm made of silver, as I prefer silver for best contacts):

You solder them as shown (the magnet is loose over the lead):

And so it looks ready to use, held by a clamp for the photo only:

The contact must protude the surface of the magnet only a tiny bit. Even on PCBs there is a good connection.

Wulf

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The teeth on alligator clips can't be very good when low resistance is needed :thinking:

Generally, contact area achieved microscopically is a function of force, not geometry. So it shouldn't be a problem.