battery leakage cleanup

SgtQueasy

Newly Enlightened
Have a Lumapower IncenDio which I carry in my pocket while around the house. Long story short, appears the CR123A battery has leaked and I'm concerned if I try to use vinegar or baking powder to clean up the acid, I'll damage the "clicky", which I can't remove. Any ideas or past experience?

SgtQueasy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome! Any thoughts on whether or not I'm making a bad situation worse? Have emailed LumaPower and am awaiting response?

scottaw

Enlightened
Lithium batteries don't leak, they vent, usually violently. If something made your battery vent, the stuff inside is NOT safe to be playing with, I would seal everything in a bag until you hear back from the manufacturers with further instructions.

325addict

Enlightened
Well, just today I got another victim of alkaline leaking... an SQN portable mixer costing several thousand bucks :oops:

But Lithium batteries LEAKING?? I never experienced this before. I always take Q-tips and solving agents to clean up the mess....

Timmo.

FLT MEDIC

Newly Enlightened
Clean off the accessible battery leak areas with a cloth rag.

Spray the switch with Cyclo Silicone Oil Spray a little every 5 minutes and use/work the switch slowly until the oil that comes out is clear. This ensures that the corrosive battery chemicals have been displaced by the silicone oil.

Use/work the switch on top of tissue paper a few times. Change tissue paper and let switch dry on top of new tissue paper to absorb excess silicone oil for a few hours.

Make sure there's no more excess silicone oil on the switch before installing it back in your flashlight.

Silicone oil spray is the thinnest/lowest viscosity silicone oil available in my place and it dries to a very thin film. Silicone oil does not "eat up" rubber and plastic parts unlike other petroleum-based oil products and is used to protect car battery terminals from corrosion. Good luck! :)

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I had an Energizer AA Lithium leak on me. Only thing I can figure is that I left the light turned on face down. It only leaked a little bit and isopropal alcohol seems to work nicely. Not sure if that's the right/best thing to use.

rockz4532

Enlightened
Lithium batteries don't leak, they vent, usually violently. If something made your battery vent, the stuff inside is NOT safe to be playing with, I would seal everything in a bag until you hear back from the manufacturers with further instructions.
Isnt that only with Li-ion cells?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isnt that only with Li-ion cells?

No, actually we've had more reported incidents at CPF with primary 123 cells exploding in light, often involving tailcaps shooting off the light due to pressure buildup. Few rechargable lithium ion incidents while in light, those are more prone to burning houses down when you aren't watching the charger and something doesn't work right :)

I suggest being careful with the cleanup. Wear rubber gloves when handling stuff.

Last edited:

Latest posts