Good LEO Light?

wadus

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys and gals, I've been lurking around here for a couple months and now I have a question for you gurus of everything bright.

My buddy just became a reserve officer with the hopes of becoming full time shortly. He called me yesterday, because of my recent flashlight obsession, and asked me to tell him a good light to get; but I have no idea what criteria a LEO would use to decide on a flashlight...

I called another friend of mine who is a resigned state trooper, but he doesn't know that much (I don't think anyway) about flashlights, so I also wanted to ask about his suggestion as well. He said to go with the cheapest Surefire (I don't recall the name of it, but he said it was around $60) plus the rechargeable Maglite they get.

So what do you guys think? I told him he could borrow some of mine to try them out, but I don't really have any higher-end lights yet (just ordered my first real light, NiteCore D10 R2, but it's back-ordered until Feb. 24 :mecry:). Thanks in advance for the responses and I appreciate your input.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There's this thread.

What price range is your friend looking for?

He can go for a P60 fitting Surefire, I think most would suggest the 6P, 6PD, or C2, because those can accept many LED drop-ins and also have many aftermarket parts for them.

Some might suggest the Fenix TK series of lights, some might suggest the Eagletac light. The Novatac lights are also good along with Surefire lights. The Nitecore Defender Infinity and Extreme might also work.

:welcome:

wadus

Newly Enlightened
Oooo thanks for the link! Sorry I did not see it before but I'll have my friend look over the other thread and tell him what little information I know at this point to help out. Also, thanks for the welcome. :twothumbs

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
He should wait for now and familiarize himself with the types of lights for work tools. Also, the agency he eventually goes to work for may issue a light and/or provide specific batteries. If he is issued a long gun with a light, CR123 primaries may be available.

As a new hire, he will be working at night. He will want at least one light to be permanently carried in a pouch on his belt (Sam Brown) and another to act as a main light. He will want the main light to be rechargeable. The belt light is a matter of personal preference.

His area of operations will also dictate the type of light he will need. As a general rule, a rural area will most likely need a light with more throw, an urban area less so. His area of operations may include both.

He should also include other lights, bulbs, batteries, etc. for the patrol bag.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
He should wait for now and familiarize himself with the types of lights for work tools. Also, the agency he eventually goes to work for may issue a light and/or provide specific batteries. If he is issued a long gun with a light, CR123 primaries may be available.

As a new hire, he will be working at night. He will want at least one light to be permanently carried in a pouch on his belt (Sam Brown) and another to act as a main light. He will want the main light to be rechargeable. The belt light is a matter of personal preference.

His area of operations will also dictate the type of light he will need. As a general rule, a rural area will most likely need a light with more throw, an urban area less so. His area of operations may include both.

He should also include other lights, bulbs, batteries, etc. for the patrol bag.

Close.

Reserves (myself included) don't have any schedule. We train on a certain date once or more a month. When we ride it's only when we can.

You work as many or as little as you want on any shift you want/can.

Most agencies don't issue rifles, and the ones who do aren't always much more than a basic M4 OR AR. The tactical stuff is usually reserved for tactical teams. He or anyone can buy their own in any configuration with the departments consent and it can only be carried after qualification by that department or another that certifies people.

Also, even in urban areas, it's not all close quarters. That's why I have a light for throw and a light for up close. Floody on your beld and throwy in the car. Grab what you need when you need it.

There is no way he can ride without some training. You don't jump in a car. You have to build hours before you can ride and carry. Here you have to have like 8 or something to ride and 80 to carry. This will give him time to get familiar with what the department has and what other officers have. He also needs to understand what police work is all about before he buys a light (or any gear). It's not a hit or a miss situation, it's a must hit situation.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood. I thought that he was a now a reserve officer and was becoming a fulltime LEO.

wadus

Newly Enlightened
He just became a reserve, and I thank all of you for your input. He wanted to get a good light to bring with him as he is going out for the first time in about a week. I will tell him what you all have said about waiting to see what his needs/wants are before making a big purchase.

I have looked over the other thread and wow it really makes me want to buy an Olight M20, even though I really have no practical use for it and I already have another light on the way that isn't shipping for almost 2 more weeks (NiteCore D10 R2). The Jetbeam Jet-III M looks tempting as well, but, again, no real practical use.

Well I'm off to have someone hide my credit card from me before I go :broke:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
He just became a reserve, and I thank all of you for your input. He wanted to get a good light to bring with him as he is going out for the first time in about a week. I will tell him what you all have said about waiting to see what his needs/wants are before making a big purchase.

Eh..

Normally, a Reserve has to go to some classes before he hits the street.. Some PPCT (how to fight), how to go about situations, how to approach a car..

Not sure how he is going to ride without doing some of this, but you misunderstood. Or I said it wrong.

I meant when he went to some classes. Not actually working a beat.

There's a 99% chance someone will lend him a light. He just needs to understand the business before buying gear. Usually the business is taught in class though :) if that makes any sense.

KevDawg0324

Newly Enlightened
I say Olight Warrior R2. Good throw and runtimes and small enough to wear on his belt as a backup light. I wear a TK11 and it is great as a backup light to wear everyday.

groo01

Newly Enlightened
Groo here
I have done that for some 30 years now.
Your friend should get a belt/pocket light {small enough ,light enough]
that uses primary cells [usually cr123s as they last the longest,most power,
for size and weight, and the cold will not kill them like others and they have a long self life.] If you can use a recharge cell like the `18650s so much the better. And if funds allow , a hand light.
The belt light will be used most of the time as you will have it, so more that one power option will help, but it must have a tactical type switch with single
power on /off only for use with your sidearm.
The handlight is the BigGun and will be used for area lighting[accidents,searchs,etc] and should be a recharge as it will eat cells.
My choice is now a Fenix TK-11 upgraded that will use both cr123s and 18650 recharge cells and has two levels of light you get to with a twist
of the lense and a Tac style on/off switchon the tail.
a Dereelight DBS-V3 with an mce flood led and an extention that uses
#2 18650 cells [ would will need the extra time the extra cells will provide]
or a similar setup from other suppliers.
:thumbsup:

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I was an Auxiliary Police Officer in a town of about 6,000 for 11 years or so. I started with a Streamlight SL-20 and a Surefire 6P. By the time I left, I was using a Streamlight Stinger for everything. I think I had something in my bag as a backup in case my Stinger died. I really liked the idea that my main flashlight was on my belt all the time and I didn't have to remember to grab anything when I bailed out of the squad car in a hurry. This is one reason I liked the Asp baton instead of the old PR-24 I started with.

My suggestion would be to see what the fulltime officers in his agency are using. If I were to go back to my volunteer position (which I think about sometimes), I would probably get a Pelican 7060 or a Streamlight Stinger LED DS. I have a Pelican now and it's a great light. I've heard good things about the Stinger DS LED also.

In addition to a good flashlight that's on his belt all the time, I would recommend a small flashlight in a shirt pocket, like a 1AA light. Maybe a NitreCore D10 or Fenix L1D? Never know when your main light may take a crap, or when you just need a small amount of light.

I wish your friend many years of safe service.

-- Frank

Devil26

Newly Enlightened
Alright fellas here is my two cent imput. I'm by far not saying I know jack about lights but I will tell you this...

Your friend should look at all the options thats before him (lights in his willing to pay price range). Ive been a full time Police Officer for 4 years now and I will tell you this the Streamlight Stinger IS WORTHLESS!!!!!!! that is in my opionion ( no offense to anyone who like them ) I have had three since ive been here, two used and one new, not to mention the numerous battery changes and broken bulbs (yes not the LED version ) Its practically MayBarry where I work. 99% of the time Ive used a cheap Wal-Mart flashlight with a push button tailcap. Most agencies around here give the Stinger out as standard issue. I recently purchased a Streamlight TLR-1 older style, a few days ago myself and buddy was clearing a warehouse and I got to use for the first time (AWESOME WEAPON LIGHT). My buddy turned his stinger off. Believe it or not I don't use the huge rechargeable maglight either <-----kinda on the line that every cop eats donuts, never have had one, never had a desire to get one. I am in fact the BLACKSHEEP.

In the near future my next purchase will be the SureFire E1B has a EDC light as well as duty light until I get the money to buy a bigger SUREFIRE light maybe a guardian! In the end its ulitmately up to him and what he feels comfortable with. Remeber if can keep his A$$ safe its worth the cost.

Bruce B

Enlightened
I suggest your friend look at the surefire website. Not that surefire is the only quality brand out there, it's just what I prefer. They have what's called the "Tactical Trinity" and it explain the need for a good primary, backup and weapon mounted flashlight.

Hope this helps.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend either a Surefire P60 host (probably a C2 Centurion) with a Malkoff LED module, or a Fenix TK11 as a main belt light. As a pocket task light, a second generation Inova X1 or Gerber Infinity would be good - these are single 5mm LEDs, 3-7 lumens, and would be used for reading or writing without blinding yourself.

IANAC (I am not a cop) but all of these get a lot of love from LEOs on the forums.

(The X1 now sold in stores is the third generation, using a 2 watt power LED from Inova, which eats AA batteries like candy. You want the 2nd generation, with a big, domed 5mm LED under the glass, not the one with a nearly-opaque focusing optic, not the one with the 1mm^2 LED chip.)

Last edited: