Is there a lower cost alternative to the Dereelight MC-E?

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
I own a Dereelight DBS V3R2 and love it, and now wish to have a light of comparable size and performance with the floodier MC-E pill, but alas I need to look for something that costs less than the DBS. Is there a lower cost alternative in existence at this time? Many thanks.

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, electric sheep. I'm actually looking for a separate light, as I have a dedicated use for my DBS V3R2. I just found a number of MC-E lights on the DealExtreme sight, but am presently baffled by the variety and don't know how they compare to the Dereerlight. The search is on..

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking into this a lot too and as far as I can tell this is the best dx mc-e light:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16501

MTE seems to be one of the slightly more trustworthy dx brands and its first mode is medium not high which I really like. It's tough though because everything that is p7 or mce right now is either like 150 bucks or 45 with nothing in between.

The ultrafire C2 has been getting some pretty decent reviews but I just don't trust ultrafire. Too many threads about how they break after a month. Or a day.

Last edited:

farmer17

Newly Enlightened
I have researched this a little for my own needs and agree that the MTE is probably the best low cost light. They have a two mode version that is about $37 and it is the one that I would recommend. Just type in P7 on the DX search bar.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thats a p7 not an mc-e, but it looks pretty decent too. I would just make sure and check which one you want the high mode first or the low mode. I personally prefer starting off on medium or low not high.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Just buy the MC-e pill for the body you have. I have one in my V4 and it is great.

You lie! :scowl: There's no such thing as a DBS v.4 . . . yet. I'm sure you meant your CL1H v.4. I love mine too, though my MC-E pill gets too hot for it so in my DBS body it stays.

electric sheep

Enlightened
No i have a special DBS V4 that is top secret:nana: No you are correct i meant CL1H V4. It might get hot but not too hot for me espec if it is outside. If you get the 2.4a version it's nearer 600 lumen and has a very useful and clean beam profile.

jzelek

Newly Enlightened
If you buy a complete Dereelight CL1H V4 MC-E you will have second flashlight that you can swap the pills with your DBS. Also the CL1H V4 host can take any P60 dropins made and has better heat sink properties than Surefires. This gives you lots of options between the two lights.

I just bought a complete Dereelight CL1H V4 MC-E and it took less than 2 weeks to arrive at my door from China.
This light has tons of spill and with the +2 extension and AW 18650s gives over an hour of runtime.

PS. the +2 extension will also fit your DBS.

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
No i have a special DBS V4 that is top secret:nana: No you are correct i meant CL1H V4. It might get hot but not too hot for me espec if it is outside. If you get the 2.4a version it's nearer 600 lumen and has a very useful and clean beam profile.

Dude, your words are making me salivate. I might just have to switch my pill as see for myself. How does the beam look with the original CL1H OP reflector? Know what? I"ll find out for myself. :thumbsup:

electric sheep

Enlightened
Not great with the old reflector but for a few bucks you can get the dedicated V4 reflector. Beam profile is great and very clean, much cleaner than other MC-E beam shots i have seen.

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
so far I have been happy with the p7's and mc-e lights I have received from DX. My brightest still remains my mte 2 mode p7. The aurora mc-e 2 mode is still very bright but is underdriven in my opinion. the trustfire p7 3 mode is somewhere in between in terms of brightness. The ultrafire 2 mode mc-e I got was doa and returned. I posted a few outdoor pics of my mte. Good luck.

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
Any idea how the MTE and the Dereelight compare in performance? Are there any images of the MTE in action that I can see? Guess I'll do a search.. Thanks.

electric sheep

Enlightened
My Dereelight is 500+ lumen's at 2.1a and higher in 2.4a. If you want the 2.4a it still gives good run times but gets hotter(although not a problem for me used outside).