Not happy with Everled

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am not happy with my Everled. Got it a few days ago, and tried it out in my 4D Mag Lite. Beam is white, and whimpy. At tight focus is puts out a small irregular spot. When I shine my Blaster III on it at twenty feet on a wall, it disappears, and is overwhelmed by mass of lite from Blaster. Does not work well at distance either. It must need a different columator or something.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the Everled an SE? If so, then it won't work with a collimator... It's stuck to reflector-based PR lights...

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too got lame performance in the mag light I tried, as well as almost all the other smooth reflector lights I tried.

OTOH, I got excellent performance in the Craftsman clone of the turtle light (4 AA) and Eveready 'Find Me' (2 D), both with large faceted reflectors. I also got fair performance on two D cell lights with smaller faceted reflectors.

I'm picking up a pattern here.......

Doug Owen

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys should try putting it in a Dorcy Frostbrite (textured reflector, 4AA), and I personally prefer the texturized reflector to a smooth one...

Empath

Flashaholic
The EverLED is designed to replace an incandescent functionally. If you put it into a light that was crappy with the OEM lamp, you'll likely get the same beam problem with the EverLED, although you'll have white light instead of yellow. If you put it into a lamp that gave a good beam with the OEM lamp, you'll likely get a good beam with the EverLED.

It's designed to mimic the throw of an incandescent. It's not designed to clean up the beam.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone else tried it in the Garrity G-Tech 2D? It has a really nice faceted reflector that's BIG, much larger than a mag reflector. Decently built with rubber bumpy grip, head protector and is lightweight. The beam has pretty good throw and spill combo with everled. For $5-$6 in many stores. I left it on for 45 mins without any heat issue, not even that warm to the touch.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks for your response CPF'ers. I did see some ACE Hardware logo lights that have large textured reflectors. They come in 2D, and 3D. I will give 3D a try. Bill

N162E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
Thanks for your response CPF'ers. I did see some ACE Hardware logo lights that have large textured reflectors. They come in 2D, and 3D. I will give 3D a try. Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

While you were at Ace..... You may have noticed a 2xAA light made by Dorcy complete with "Orange peel" reflector. Cost about 4 bucks. This light is plastic as such it does not offer much heat sink. The bulb starts ought bright, after a few minutes it dims down a little. I could not see a difference, the meter did. On 2200mah Powerex cells it ran for 5 hours and 50 minutes, I stopped the test when the light started to dim fast. For a small reflector this light projected a smooth center with just enough side spill. The Plastic barrel is oversize with ribs inside to center the AAs. By removing less than half the rib diameter 3 123s will slide in for a perfect fit.

More to follow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
N162E, I was thinking you might need a heat sink for 9 volts, then I remembered that current goes down when voltage goes up with Everled regulator. Bill

N162E

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
N162E, how about two 123's + a dummy 123 in that Dorcy? Still plenty of poop. Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bill, That would work just fine. Thing is, I'm fat with 123s and I think it would be easier just to drop one in than try to make a dependable spacer for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Fred, I mentioned it because I have a SF dummy 123 battery. Got it when I was playing around with P6 and P9 a while back, quite awhile actually. Bill