What's the longest throwing compact?

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Did a search, and got only some hits for something called a
"DEFT".
I Googled it, and came up empty! :confused:
So, what is a DEFT, who makes it, and who sells it?

In your experience, what is the longest throwing compact (8'' or
under) flashlight at a reasonable price (400.00 or less)?

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
I really don't think the DEFT qualifies as "compact". :duh2:

For a compact thrower you will have a very difficult time trying to beat the Dereelight DBS.
I am thoroughly impressed by this torch!!

Last edited:

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
..oh, and be wary of all the MC-E / P7 hype with regards to "throw".

Despite the vast amount of lumens produced by these new LEDs, they've yet to get one properly focused to out throw the lowly Q5/R2 single die emitters.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened

For a compact thrower you will have a very difficult time trying to beat the Dereelight DBS. I am thoroughly impressed my this torch!!

From their website, looks like the DBS has several options, which
one do you recommend?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a compact thrower you will have a very difficult time trying to beat the Dereelight DBS.
I am thoroughly impressed by this torch!!
I agree. I don't consider the DEFT as compact. It does fit his his criteria for length. The DEFT is 7 3/4" stem to stern. For a compact light(could fit in a pants leg pocket) I think the one to beat right now is the Sunlite Eagle 8watt. It out throws the DBS and does it while having a smaller package.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
I can't just make a blanket recommendation, sorry.
The reason they have so many options is to cater to your individual requirements.

My time is short right now, but all you need to do is study up and decide on whether you want multiple power options and what type of batteries you want to use. Oh, also you need to decide on the reflector finish, smooth vs. orange peel. So use the search to find the many reviews and posts comparing and talking about these differences.

The great thing about the DBS is that you can easily swap the pills later to fit differing criteria without needing to buy a new flashlight. :)

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
OP,

Since you specifically qualified your thread by including "longest throwing", you will need to clarify whether you want to include aspheric/optics or conventional reflectors in your decision making. There are pros/cons to each method of focusing a flashlight's beam.

Whenever you get into a pissing contest the criteria becomes very important. :devil:

Gary123

Enlightened
And when you say "longest throwing" it would be more helpful to know how far out you want to be able to see clearly, and be aware of the size of the lighted patch at your distance. For example, my Tiable A9/A8 at 65 yards puts a fairly bright patch of light down, but the patch is only about maybe 8 feet in diameter. Almost difficult looking for things at that distance with such a small lighted patch. At that same distance, the thrower configuration of the compact dive light by Packhorse (1.25" x 5") puts down a 25 foot x 25 foot patch that is very easy to look for things with, though not as bright on the target as the A8/9.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
While not the longest thrower, the Heliotek is a great all around light. It even floats in water!:twothumbs

Last edited:

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
OP,

Since you specifically qualified your thread by including "longest throwing", you will need to clarify whether you want to include aspheric/optics or conventional reflectors in your decision making. There are pros/cons to each method of focusing a flashlight's beam.

Whenever you get into a pissing contest the criteria becomes very important. :devil:

I'm not sure what aspheric does for me, I am still learning all this stuff.

I will try to explain.
What I want is a beam that will illuminate a moving object (human sze)
from about 50 meters with a narrow beam so it doesnt light up the
whole area.
It's like, if we were in a big field at night and you were standing in it
about 50 meters from me. I would what to be able to see you, but I
dont want the spot of light too wide, more focused.
Does that make any sense?

Oh crap, I almost forgot the most important part.
I want all this in a small size. Obviosly, the B&D SLH100V would do what
I want, but it's not easy to carry.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what aspheric does for me, I am still learning all this stuff.

I will try to explain.
What I want is a beam that will illuminate a moving object (human sze)
from about 50 meters with a narrow beam so it doesnt light up the
whole area.
It's like, if we were in a big field at night and you were standing in it
about 50 meters from me. I would what to be able to see you, but I
dont want the spot of light too wide, more focused.
Does that make any sense?

Oh crap, I almost forgot the most important part.
I want all this in a small size. Obviosly, the B&D SLH100V would do what
I want, but it's not easy to carry.

Would a 2D maglite be too big?? Cos if not, get that, and a KD aspherical lens plus drop in kit for less than $50.00.

EDIT:

here's the LENS

here's the DROP IN

here's the SMOOTH REFLECTOR (more throw)

here's the MOP REFLECTOR (nicer beam)

a smooth reflector gets you more throw but with an aspheric lens, it may not matter that much. Cheers.

Last edited:

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Would a 2D maglite be too big?? Cos if not, get that, and a KD aspherical lens plus drop in kit for less than $50.00.

EDIT:

here's the LENS

here's the DROP IN

here's the SMOOTH REFLECTOR (more throw)

here's the MOP REFLECTOR (nicer beam)

a smooth reflector gets you more throw but with an aspheric lens, it may not matter that much. Cheers.

Nope, with those mods, it would be perfect, thanks.
I assume if you have the drop in, you need the reflector also?
Or will it fit with the Mag stock reflector?

P.S. the lens is on back order! crap!
If using the lens, do you need any reflector at all?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The reflector won't give any more throw with an aspherical lens. It'll add a pretty big artifact thing around the hotspot. The lens will take the plane that the focal point it at and project that, so at full focus you'll see a square hotspot with a ring around it, some blackness, and then a "spill"(MOP gives an uglier "spill", you'll see all the textures). You don't need the reflector for this "mod". Many people recommend it without the reflector.

I'm not sure hot it compares to a Mag85.

You can also get that lens(or any other one that fits), get a cut down 1C Maglite, buy a Li-ion C battery, a Cree XR-E R2, a driver and a heatsink and put them all together. You can probably get more throw with this if you have a better lens, more powerful driver, and a higher binned LED.

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
The reflector won't give any more throw with an aspherical lens. It'll add a pretty big artifact thing around the hotspot. The lens will take the plane that the focal point it at and project that, so at full focus you'll see a square hotspot with a ring around it, some blackness, and then a "spill"(MOP gives an uglier "spill", you'll see all the textures). You don't need the reflector for this "mod". Many people recommend it without the reflector.

I'm not sure hot it compares to a Mag85.

You can also get that lens(or any other one that fits), get a cut down 1C Maglite, buy a Li-ion C battery, a Cree XR-E R2, a driver and a heatsink and put them all together. You can probably get more throw with this if you have a better lens, more powerful driver, and a higher binned LED.

Yeah, I have seen pics of the square hotspot, cant say I like that much :green:

656nm

Newly Enlightened
If you could find one, a Jet-II IBS (original version, not Pro) with an SMO reflector. Very compact for the throw it gives, single CR123A battery, programmable output levels, easily pocketable, defocusable reflector.