Cree Q3-5A vs Cree Q3-3A?

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how the Cree Q3-3A bin compares to the Q3-5A bin. I've used the 5A bin before, and enjoyed it, but I can get the 3A bin much more easily.
My main question is: does the 5A bin have a higher or lower CRI than the 3A bin?

Any other information would be welcome too. :D

Holzleim

Newly Enlightened
I was in the same situation you describe: Originally I wanted 5A MC-E for my big 500W LED light, but I found no affordable source for buying K-bin 5A MC-E.
But I had access to well priced 4B K-bin MC-E, and finally I used them.

Official CRI should be the same, the are some colder than 5A.

You can take a look at the beamshots I took, I must say I'm really pleased with the tint.

Still warm enough and enough red to see good in the woods, but at the same time no "incan-look", and I think with this tint my light might be more impressive than is was when I had used 5A.

Colder light sources appear somewhat brighter I think, and everone looking in my light can see I'm not carrying some kind of portable 500W halogen flood light but something more special :devil:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's somewhat reassuring, but the ones I can easily get are 3A, not 4B.

After reading the spec sheet, one thing I did notice was that the 3A bin is nearer to the color temperature of daylight. That could be a pro or a con, depending on what people are looking for. As long as the CRI is the same or better, I'd be happy, but other people might not be. Has anyone used both the 3A and the 5A?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have, and I generally find the 3A is a bit easier for an LED lover to take.

I can't speak to CRI, but red is definitely much better than the top of the cool white spectrum. I'll see if I can gather some 3A vs 5A pix together 4U.

Comparing a 3A Q3 cree to a GDP+ of unknown tint:

IMG_2841.jpg

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, grabbed the last two "cool" emittered flashlights and did a few comparisions.

Camera on "Automatic White Balance" and automatic exposure.

Picture #1
(L) Nitecore D10 GDP (cool), High with 1xAW14500
(M) Raidfire Spear, OP reflector, 3A Q3, High with 1xAW18650
(R) Dereelight DBS V2, OP reflector, 5A Q3, High with 1xAW18650
IMG_2844.jpg

Picture #2
(L) Lumapower MVP, 3x Stock WD(?) Q5, Medium with 2xAW14500
(M) Lumapower D-Mini, 3A Q3, Non-digital pill, High, with 1xAW RCR123
(R) Jetbeam Military, OP reflector, 5A Q3, High with 1xAW18650
IMG_2845.jpg

Last edited:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!
I don't suppose, if you get a chance, you could take some shots of some random colored objects, with white balance set to daylight, using only 1 light at a time?

That would give an even better idea of how they match up.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lovely. That's why I prefer 3A instead of 5A. Much more natural tint with no making things yellow.
Not sure but it also may have higher CRI. 75 for cool and 80 for warmer tints is just average record (WH has much better color rendition than WK - both rated @75 CRI). I think 3x-4x tints are the best.
Lumapower uses ~WD tinted emitters.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, but that might take until tomorrow. Done fooling around for the evening... Valentine's day and all.... :eek:oo:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I haven't taken pictures of common objects yet.

Without kids in the house, colorful objects are a little harder to find.

Maybe CD covers or magazines?... :popcorn:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe.. I know what you mean there, when my little sister comes to visit, she always brings along about 4 shades of neon I never knew existed :D

Pretty much anything will work, as long as there's red, blue, green, orange, and white in the picture. Anything else is just icing on the cake :D

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
CAMERA SET ON "SUNLIGHT" COLOR BALANCE MODE

Cool White
Sun_CW.jpg

3A
Sun_3A.jpg

5A
Sun_5A.jpg

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
CAMERA SET ON "CLOUDY" COLOR BALANCE MODE

Cool White
Cloud_CW.jpg

3A
Cloud_3A.jpg

5A
Cloud_5A.jpg

As I sit here in soft (warm) white flourescent lighting, the 5A looks closest to the book I'm looking at. I may come back with actual daytime pictures later.

Last edited:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great photos!

Looks like with the 3A the blues and whites a a little more accurate, and with the 5A your reds, yellows, and browns are more accurate, if I've got the colors right in the picture. A daylight control shot would probably be good for comparison.

YourTime

Newly Enlightened
My question for some expertise

what is the efficiency Cree Q5 compare to Cree Q3-5A

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Q" refers to the bin or efficiency of the LED. A higher number following the "Q" means the LED is more efficient, giving you more light for the same power. So, Q5 is more efficient than Q3.